ABERDEEN FORUM

You are not logged in (viewing only)
Attention Aberdeen fans
Number one for football - Join now for a deposit bonus up to £200
Posted Friday 27th Sep 2013 15:40

re: Benzodiazepine Addiction/Withdrawal - Any experience?

PitchMick2013 wrote on 14:46 on 27 Sep:
Redforever1986 wrote on 14:25 on 27 Sep:
I'd lock them in a box and force them all to go cold turkey if they weren't off methadone after 5 years brutal as **** but it's probably what they need by that stage.

:s

It's a'rite min, the box wid hae holes.

Posted Friday 27th Sep 2013 15:45

Leon_Mike wrote on 12:31 on 27 Sep:
One guy in my ward successfully came off Methadone.

Whilst he was in hospital, or outside hospital? I suspect most methadoners in this country do so outwith the confines of hospital, thus are unlikely to get off it unless they're really motivated. Maybe. I'm just guessing. It seems that going into hospital as really helped you and others, and that constant attention/assistance is the answer. Doesn't seem a very British solution if I'm honest. Far easier to pass yis on to some ither chunt and then moan about yer drag on society.

Posted Friday 27th Sep 2013 21:06

I'm not against the subscription of methadone but I think why some people are against it is because the users quite often stay on it for decades, never have a job, get benefit payments, and take other street drugs on top of it. It's most likely a minority but that's what the press feeds on.

I'd lock them in a box and force them all to go cold turkey if they weren't off methadone after 5 years brutal as **** but it's probably what they need by that stage.

I know you're joking, but that attitude of making them go cold turkey from methadone would probably kill many of them, and certainly initiate psychosis in most of them. Will your taxpayers then pay for their mental health treatment?

Posted Friday 27th Sep 2013 23:43

Leon_Mike wrote on 21:06 on 27 Sep:
I'm not against the subscription of methadone but I think why some people are against it is because the users quite often stay on it for decades, never have a job, get benefit payments, and take other street drugs on top of it. It's most likely a minority but that's what the press feeds on.

I know you're joking, but that attitude of making them go cold turkey from methadone would probably kill many of them, and certainly initiate psychosis in most of them. Will your taxpayers then pay for their mental health treatment?

I think you've been away from the UK too long, the one thing we have a worse attitude to than addiction is mental health. And down here, it's even worse than Scotland. We have 'Care in the Community', which is an utter lie, it's neither care, and there's f*ck all community in London.

We essentially turn loose very ill people who are in need of a great deal of help and support and leave to fend for themselves in situations they can't cope with. But it's OK, because an overworked mental health nurse visits them once a fortnight.

And for all the lurid headlines, remember: a mentally ill person is a far greater risk to themselves than they ever will be to anyone else.

Posted Saturday 28th Sep 2013 00:00

Strongly agree with your harm reductionist approach to drug related public health issues Leon M. Methadone and needle exchanges have saved hundreds or maybe thousands of lives here in Edinburgh since the 80s. Will have to look into the stats. Sad that the red tops (and the media and politicians in general) are taking a prohibitionism only attitude. They don't have a clue what they're doing.

I too have problems with anxiety attacks. No way my GP would give me benzo's though, apart from the time he did when I was called to give evidence in court. CBT for anxiety is ok, but the improvement in mental state is mild and not very long lasting. Full on psychoanalysis is probably the best answer, but must be too expensive for many. There are probably good self-help guides.

Posted Saturday 28th Sep 2013 14:46

Leon_Mike wrote on 21:06 on 27 Sep:

Good point LM.
Here, if you have a drug problem, you go to your GP who would then refer you to the Integrated Drug Service.(IDS) For an opioid addiction you would be offered methadone or possibly Suboxone. Nae sure how they deal with benzo addiction but i would think the best you could hope for is some kind of reduction/tapering thing. I dunno if they'd even entertain that as i ken they are extremely reluctant to prescribe any benzos. They must offer some kind of treatment tho as cold turkey is not an option for severe benzo addiction, in fact it can be quite dangerous. I'm sure you could confirm that LM?
I'm well glad you're getting there min. Can i ask you how long you were taking the benzos for before you sought help? After you were on them for a while were you able to go a day without taking any and still function or was that nae an option?
Sorry for the daft questions mate but someone i know has been taking Valium, almost daily, for the last 2 or 3 months now. Usually just 5 - 10mg a day. Recently switched to Etizolam, which is one of the legal 'research chemical' benzo analogs, and is having a go at tapering with that.
Anyway im waffling.
It's good to know benzo addiction can be overcome.
I remember reading some of your posts a while back. Sounds like a hellish experience you've had. Glad you made it.

Posted Saturday 28th Sep 2013 15:52

The benzo community reduction regime is one eighth the daily dose per fortnight. This is assessed every fortnight and reduction may be stopped if things get tough, which they often do. It's a slow business. Hospital admission is very unusual.

Sometimes Librium is substituted for Valium (there's a dosage equivalent formula) as it seems to be less problematic when reducing. Bottom line is that Benzos are a right b*stard to get off.

ABERDEEN FORUM STATISTICS
  • Total registered users: 6,251
  • Top poster: SMsW(52,408)

POST LEAGUE TABLE FOR ABERDEEN
pos user posts
1 SMsW 52,408
2 TheAngusBull 36,757
3 CaddyCarhandle 24,933
4 phoenixx 22,475
5 xtrmntr75 22,135
6 StandFreeEd 21,397
7 thestooge 20,266