PDA

View Full Version : Team to face Southampton

claretrob
01-01-2014, 06:33 PM
Be interested in how many will be rested?

Surely we must put 4 or 5 first team on the bench?

FCBurnley
01-01-2014, 08:52 PM
My team would be

Cisak

Trippier, Long, Edgar, Lafferty

Stan, Stock, Hewitt, Treacy, Kightly

Vokes

Concentrate 100% on promotion

NJclaret
02-01-2014, 03:53 PM
We will still see a capable lineup:

Heaton

Trippier
Long
Shackell
Lafferty

Stanislas
Stock
Marney
Treacy

Vokes
Ings

Players coming off the bench for sure will be:
Duff
Kightly
Edgar

Bin_Ont_Turf
02-01-2014, 04:00 PM
Duff, Marney and Mee won't start.

http://footballformation.co.uk/team/4231/020114155952.png

edison
02-01-2014, 04:03 PM
We could well have a new player or two by Saturday. I'd rest the strikers and one or two others - Mee and Duff most likely.

As much as I enjoy the cup and would like to see us go on a bit of a run, I won't be upset if we lose.

lakedistrictclaret
02-01-2014, 04:20 PM
I remember the days when Third Round day was the highlight of the season, with bumper crowds.

Not any more.

It's difficult to put a finger on why the F A Cup has lost its appeal. Probably a combination of factors, starting with Man U opting out many years ago.

Like Edison, I'd like us to win on Saturday, but I won't be disappointed if we lose.

edison
02-01-2014, 04:26 PM
"It's difficult to put a finger on why the F A Cup has lost its appeal"

Simply, it's money. Promotion means millions and millions of pounds. Many would prefer it than the prestige of the cup.

Boliclaret
02-01-2014, 04:46 PM
It's difficult to put a finger on why the F A Cup has lost its appeal"

Millwall reached the final about 10 years ago and lost 3-0 to Man Unt qualifying for Europe in the process. They were expected to reach the play offs but the cup back log meant they finished around 12th.

The club made a statement saying that they lost millions in lost revenue and got no benefit whatsoever from playing 4 two leg games in Europe. The following season they were relegated.

The FA cup shows how much football has become a business, playing second fiddle to the play offs.

If you're a lower league team and you get drawn at Old Trafford then great, if not then it isn't. Its a classic example of how much football has changed.

claretspice
02-01-2014, 05:25 PM
Any of number of reasons why the cup has completely lost its appeal - the money attached to PL status, the indifference of top clubs, the fact they win it almost every year despite this indifference, the fact that top PL squads are now so strong they can put out weakened teams and still win, the fact fans buy season tickets which mean their cash is focused on the league, the tendancy of smaller clubs to treat it like a cash cow rather than a chance of glory - and so on.

I'd love a good cup-run but we'd be daft to bank on it given what a good side Southampton are if they put a strong XI out - our best chance of a nice little earner this year is to qualify from the play-offs.

With that in mind, to my mind we've got to give a few players a breather.

I'd go with something like:

----------Heaton
Edgar Duff Shackell Lafferty
-------Marney Stock
Treacy Stanislas Kightly
---------Ings/Vokes

The front '1' being whichever of those two is least in need of a break.

Still plenty of quality

tonyl
02-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Don't see any point in resting Imgs as a previous poster has said, especially if he will be off at the end of the month. I hope we give a good account seeing as its 100 years since we won it!

Boliclaret
02-01-2014, 08:24 PM
But what if Ings gets crocked and the 30M that Cardiff finally offer is withdrawn?

We are gonna hold out for 30M right? >;)

stalbansclaret
02-01-2014, 09:36 PM
I would rest Ings, Vokes, Trippier, Marney and Jones if not more...we are not going to win the cup and if any of these ***** players were injured on Sat then I'd be very upset indeed. We've also been flogging the two strikers to death and a week off would ensure they were nice and fresh at Yeovil.
I don't like myself for thinking this but I do think it.

LoveCurryPies
02-01-2014, 11:09 PM
I would play the best team possible and give them a chance to see what they will up against (possibly) next season. No shame if we lose but a real confidence boost if we win!

DarkCloud
02-01-2014, 11:30 PM
I'd like to agree Currypies, but I can't. Marney went off knackered the other day, Mee is struggling for fitness and both strikers are essential to our promotion push. I would play a few reserves and unfortunately almost certainly our second string will lose to their second string, but we have to put a possible promotion first I'm afraid. Stock will play and be far too slow in that company, Edgar likewise and Lafferty and Long are far too green, but it still makes sense as long as we don't get a pasting. (And let's give Hewitt a run and see how he shapes up. That would be nice)

LoveCurryPies
02-01-2014, 11:37 PM
I like to take inspiration from those Liverpool & Man U years when they won everything. They didn't say let's lose a to improve our chances of b. However, I realise they had far larger & stronger teams, but I liked the spirit of we can win everything.

hanoverusaclaret
03-01-2014, 01:54 AM
I know it won't happen however I'd love to see a couple of our younger players given an opportunity in a real game. For 3 or 4 years now our Youth team have competed with some of the top clubs in the country. Time to throw a couple in and see if they sink or swim. Might be worth a signing.

Heaton.

Dummigan, Long, Shackell, Lafferty.

Trippier, Hewitt, Edgar, Treacy.

Howieson, Stanislas.

Subs:

Ings, Stock, Arfield, Gilchrist, Cisak, Kightly, Conlan.

maidenover
03-01-2014, 03:06 AM
Too many changes and it won't happen but if promotion is a priority:

Cisak.

Dummigan, Long, Shackell, Lafferty.

Stock

Treacy, Hewitt, Howieson, Kightly.

Gilchrist,

Subs:

Ings, Stanislas, Arfield, Edgar, Heaton, Trippier, Conlan.

I think Southampton will field quite a few from their academy, so let's see how our young lads stand up.

Jamb0MackemClaret
03-01-2014, 09:29 AM
Hope we take the chance to rest a few and have a look at some of the young lads. Marney, Mee, Duff, Ings, Vokes and Trippier to have the weekend off for me.

the_quoon
03-01-2014, 09:58 AM
strongest team possible, dependent on fitness levels.

*******s to playing a weakened side 'because we'll lose anyway'.

The Bedlington Terrier
03-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Promotion must be our ultimate aim this season. A FA Cup run is the last thing we need with our small squad. Blood the kids and play the bench and the hell with it. The first eleven need a rest! On to Yeovil fit and fresh..!

the_quoon
03-01-2014, 10:21 AM
if we are going to do that, lets hope the club will let everyone know beforehand so nobody bothers making the trip all way down there.

claretblue
04-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Sky have Wallace (knee) and Mills (hernia) out :O

taio
04-01-2014, 09:11 AM
Think the team will be:

Heaton
Trippier
Long
Shackell
Lafferty
Treacey
Stock
Jones
Arfield
Ings
Vokes

But quite like the look of BOT's at post no. 4, particularly as I feel Vokes could do with a rest and stanislas a chance to play.

pureclaret
04-01-2014, 09:35 AM
I think some changes are needed to save for promotion push - http://footballformation.co.uk/team/451/040114093119.png[/img]]view external link ([img)

cheshamclaret
04-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Seemingly just one change at the back

taio
04-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Long and lafferty in for duff and mee.

Rodriguez doesn't start for Soton.

minniemouth
04-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Mass changes for me.

I think the reason the FA Cup has lost its glory is saturation TV coverage and the fact that so many players now get the chance to play at wembley in tinpot competitions.

Back in the day it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Fans of smaller clubs would hear stories of Matthews, Finney, Milburn & McIlroy but only get to see them if they got a good cup draw. Now the stars are on telly every other day.

mkmel
04-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Sean Dyche intimated on ClaretsPlayer that Duff,Mee and possibly Marney were carrying knocks and would not play but would pick his strongest possible side.