PDA

View Full Version : The yellow card after tripping Danny Ings.

beddie
01-01-2014, 07:58 PM
To me, the defender that tripped him looked to be the last man and therefore, stopped a goal scoring opportunity, I expected a red card. Anybody else see it that way?

taio
01-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Definitely not a red card. Need to consider direction the ball was taking.

royboyclaret
01-01-2014, 08:25 PM
Danny had pushed the ball wide of the last defender in a central position.

Definitely a red card.

taio
01-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Well noone sat around me thought it should have been a sending off. But would like the benefit of seeing it again.Anyhow, the officials did us a big favour for the lead up to our first goal - big mistake by them and I'd be furious if it was the other way round.

Rowls
01-01-2014, 08:56 PM
My opinion was that it wasn't a free kick at all.

Jakubclaret
01-01-2014, 09:03 PM
It depends even with covering defender or without it seems discretional with the officials as do alot of decisions mainly handballs distance (speed of ball) intentional or not. I like to think if you cut them some slack it will sort itself out. The refs handbook goes out of the window sometimes mainly due to fatigue his interpretation of things & a baying crowd also plays a factors & intensity of game more in derby games & also a previous offender interlude & length of game passed. You should expect receive a just fair decision it will always vary with opinions bias or not.

Rileybobs
01-01-2014, 09:04 PM
From my view which was admittedly far away it seemed that Ings had knocked the ball quite a way to the side and away from goal. It didn't look like a clear goal scoring opportunity to me so a rare correct decision, in my opinion.

jdrobbo
01-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Definite foul BUT nowhere near a red. The ball was pushed WELL wide and there was a player running across from the 'D'.

wherewasi
01-01-2014, 11:06 PM
In the JMU so a bad place to be to determine whether it wasa foul, but clearly Ings was going so far away from goal it was not a red (IMHO). I was far more concerned about a red for Marney's challenge than hopeful we'd get a decision following the trip on Ings...

dsr
02-01-2014, 01:09 PM
By the time Ings had caught up with the ball (which would have been about 15 yards in from the touchline IMO) and turned round, the defender who didn't trip him would have easily got into a covering position so it wouldn't have been a clear goalscoring opportunity.

claretspice
02-01-2014, 01:42 PM
What DSR said. Never a red card, always a yellow. Danny still had far too much to do for it to be a clear/obvious goalscoring opportunity.

Frenchclaret
02-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Jakubclaret - I entirely agree with your post and since there are so many variables, isn't it time we used technology in the form of replays to eliminate some of them? A neutral second official who looks at the replay dispassionately should be employed in all major games at international level, champions league , premier league and probably the championship. There is too much at stake these days for a split second decision to carry so much weight.