PDA

View Full Version : Trippier's goal today

mikeS
01-01-2014, 08:03 PM
One of the best goals by a full back I think I've ever seen.
Brilliant Trip.
Well done.

royboyclaret
01-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Totally agree Mike and SD is missing a trick with Tripps.

He is the creative and goalscoring midfielder that we've been crying out for for long enough.

Find a new right-back Sean and let Tripps loose on other opposition defenders from higher up the pitch. He would be a revelation.

LoveCurryPies
01-01-2014, 08:39 PM
I'm no football expert so don't mind if you think I'm talking b...

But, I've been thinking for some time that Tripps really is far more than a defender and quite confident at having a shot at goal giving the opportunity. I frequently wonder what position he would chose to play himself.

To me, he is one of the core reasons for Burnley successes these last couple of years. Will be a very sad day when he moves on.

Anyone got a link to the goal?

Rileybobs
01-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Great goal. I had commented a couple of minutes earlier, when he burst forward and played in Ings, that he is often wasted at full back. Oddly enough, defending is possibly one of the weakest facets of his game. That said, I'm not too sure whether a more advanced role would suit him more or less.

wherewasi
01-01-2014, 11:14 PM
He seems to me much more of a threat going forward than a deterrent at the back. But I always thought that about Glenn Johnson and he never got moved forward so you've got to assume the managers know what they're doing and see the full picture in training. Cracking goal though!

ColdPieWarmBeer
01-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Brilliant goal. Not many in our team would have been able to finish it from that angle.

Thing is, for half of the game (given that we seem to swap wingers throughout the match) we've got the absolutely brilliant Super Scotty Arfield (sad-act that I am, he's me new favourite player!!!) in front of him, and there's no way you'd drop him to move the-best-full-back-in-the-league to the wing and compromise our full back position in the process. This system is working. Even if it wasn't, playing Kightly or switching Treacy to the right would still give better balance to the team as a whole than the complete defensive re-shuffle that would come with moving Tripps forward.

todclaret
01-01-2014, 11:32 PM
Tripps almost did something similar against Blackpool, but was penalised for a foul on a Rocksucker

DarkCloud
02-01-2014, 12:01 AM
I have said for ages that Tripps is great in the opposition half, but is not a great defender (see Uddersfield's second goal today)I would certainly be exploring using him in right midfield and finding another right back. Excellent goal today from a ridiculous angle and SD probably having a thrombo seeing him so far forward with us 2-1 up and 10 minutes remaining. Brilliant!

KarenClaret
02-01-2014, 12:07 AM
Trippier is a brilliant team player! I had been saying he deserved a goal of his own as his fantastic passes often result in a goal for others! Tripps is so skillful, reads the game and has played a huge part in our success!
He plays with desire for 90+ minutes and must be chuft to bits with his goal today!
Thank you Tripps and well done!

ColdPieWarmBeer
02-01-2014, 12:14 AM
great in the opposition half, but is not a great defender

Complete myth.

daveisaclaret
02-01-2014, 12:20 AM
Trippier is an above average Championship defender, and is probably the best player attacking from deep on the wing and in space on the wing in the league. The desire to play him further forward and nullify all three of those things baffles me.

And blaming him for the second goal today is bizarre, too. Time after time we let them have 2 on 1 down our flanks - you can't blame then 1 when the 2 win.

ColdPieWarmBeer
02-01-2014, 12:49 AM
My thoughts entirely, dave. We'd all be creaming ourselves silly if we broke away and scored a counter like their 2nd. Good goal by them and almost bugger all one single individual could do about it.

claretspice
02-01-2014, 01:37 PM
We'd have to be completely bonkers to start moving one of our most successful players out of the position he's made his own, into one he might have played a handful of times as an up and coming rookie.

Trippier's defending can be exposed a touch every now and again, but he's massively improved in that regard on the player we first signed and he's probably the equal defensively of just about every right back in the league. All that happened for Huddersfield's second was that he slightly misjudged a cross-field ball which he expected to hold up in the wind, but didn't. Such things happen on blustery days.

He's also better than any other full back in the division going forwards, helped by the fact he' got increasingly good - no doubt with Dyche's guidance - at picking his moments to get forward.

At times its a bit like having two players for the price of one out there and, like for our second goal yesterday it lets us overload in the centre of midfield to dominate possession and creat

the_quoon
02-01-2014, 01:45 PM
best right back in the division last season and he's even better this season.

strong defensively, excellent in the air and one of the best i've witnessed going forwards.

we'd be nuts to move him up the pitch as he's at his best coming on to the ball and exploiting space that opens up. thats exactly how he scored the goal yesterday.

claretbucky1978
02-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Wasn't Bale a defender

edison
02-01-2014, 02:05 PM
How successful was Bale in terms of assists and goals when he was a defender? He took the odd free kick didn't he?

Also, Spurs probably had about three more international standard full backs to fall back on by moving Bale into midfield. We pretty much have Trippier at right back with no decent reserve.

thedonz
02-01-2014, 02:26 PM
I do agree that his most effective position is where he plays now but I would have difficulty describing him as strong defensively. While too many wide attackers have skinned him for my liking this season, which worries me that he would be exposed defensively at a higher level at the moment, I have seen good signs that he is learning eg Rovers game . As an attacking full back though I have him up there with Baines and Seamus Coleman. Saturday's goal was brilliant

claptrappers_union
02-01-2014, 02:30 PM
When we first signed Trippier, I remember browsing the Barnsley messageboards. A lot of fans said he was much better as a winger than he was as a defender. So I think he much have played as a right winger during his time at Oakwell

OneNilWade
02-01-2014, 07:17 PM
This could be a fantastic tactic push Tripps forward and let Edgar and Long fight it out for right back ...I'd even go for Tripps playing up front if Sam or Danny take a knock ...:D

todclaret
02-01-2014, 08:27 PM
enjoy the moment again... - view external link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o8Sj2h92Fo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUhvUXuSDeEFSQZS8GcPMtkg)