PDA

View Full Version : Why boo McCann but cheer Paterson?

fidelcastro
02-01-2014, 12:45 AM
For a brief moment before the game today, I thought Martin Paterson had passed away, such was the level of applause from the crowd when his was announced. I even saw one or two fans applauding when he scored their first goal!

Contrast this with McCann, only a matter of days ago, who was booed at his every touch.

Was there a great deal of difference between the way the two players left the club?

Personally I showed both of them great indifference, but can't understand this great contrast between their respective receptions!

:? :? :?

daveisaclaret
02-01-2014, 12:46 AM
I've clapped Pato both games this season, and I'll clap McCann when Wigan come here. I think the real question should be why boo an ex-Burnley hero?

fidelcastro
02-01-2014, 12:51 AM
I couldn't understand the booing of McCann either, Dave, but my question was why such a contrast between the two players?

A Strange one for me. :/

ColdPieWarmBeer
02-01-2014, 01:01 AM
I can't be arsed finding a link to find the exact quote, but I think there was a whiff of "I couldn't be arsed this last year" (or words to that effect, plus talk of a pay-rise demand despite being turbo-gash for a year) from McCann when he left, whereas Pato was more a case of "I'd like to stay but the Gaffer can't guarantee I'll play up front because I'm not Ings/Austin (still with us at the time)-good".

Summat' along those lines, anyway.

Reading away, too, maybe.

daveisaclaret
02-01-2014, 01:03 AM
I'd guess it's just because, even though both players declined in their last couple of seasons here, we had to keep playing McCann but could afford to bench Pato. The fans therefore reacted badly to McCann not being the player he used to be but didn't really notice Pato doing the same.

It is worth remembering that some Burnley fans are idiots.

BOOclaret
02-01-2014, 01:11 AM
More likely that chris got the boos because he went and signed for a former manager?

Rashead
02-01-2014, 01:22 AM
Because Paterson did not try and get Duff sent off...

Peter_Nobles_Wig
02-01-2014, 01:26 AM
Couldn't make the Wigan game but Patto deserved the applause that he got today. He scored one of the best goals I have ever seen by a Claret.

"You'll always be a Claret"

Which should also be sung next Saturday down at Sarfampton for Jay Rod :D

Bullabill
02-01-2014, 02:38 AM
daveisaclaret ... "I think the real question should be why boo an ex-Burnley hero?"

Hero?? Hero???

BluddyEll.

stalbansclaret
02-01-2014, 05:59 AM
I disagree with booing McCann but think the reason for the contrasting reaction is along the lines that CPWB has stated and is also around the outward demeanour/personality of the two ...ie Paterson all heart-on-sleeve effort and one-of-the-lads emotion , McCann more introverted and withdrawn which gave him an air that came over as a touch sulky at times.

fungus_the_bogeyman
02-01-2014, 06:53 AM
Duffo said McCann was helping his cause rather than trying to get him sent off in Wigan game.

edison
02-01-2014, 09:24 AM
"Duffo said McCann was helping his cause rather than trying to get him sent off in Wigan game."

I commented during the Wigan game that a lot of fans were too quick to assume McCann was trying to get Duff sent off. How the **** did we know what was being said on the pitch?

As for the inconsistent booing - I thought both players left for more money. As simple as that.

Quattro
02-01-2014, 10:11 AM
I didn't understand this either - for me, McCann is held in higher regard than Paterson.

There is all the talk about Paterson leaving because he couldn't guarantee football, but I believe that was his excuse because not only did he want assurances of playing up front, but he also wanted more money, which the club didn't want to commit to, and Pato had the perfect excuse to cover us his real reasons. I have no proof of this...just my cynical opinion.

McCann simply struggled since his injury, and was never the same player as he was, but he was still good enough. However, if he had remained at the club, and the same players had come in (hypothetical I know), I don't think he'd had made the starting 11 because Jones and Marney compliment each other so well, so maybe it was a good time for him to move on.

Both players have had a spat with Duff - it appears that McCann was not trying to get Duff sent off...quite the opposite in fact, whereas Paterson was constantly trying to provoke Du

edison
02-01-2014, 10:15 AM
All the players that left us in the summer, bar Beast, seem to be having good seasons.

I wasn't at the QPR match. How was Austin received? Grant got some abuse at Pride Park.

wherewasi
02-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Paterson always looked interested when he played for us. McCann rarely did. That's why I booed one and applauded the other. While he played for us, Pato gave 100% - that's all you can ask. Who he played for before or after is irrelevant - he's a pro doing his job. McCann always came across as a surly malcontent both on and off the pitch. I felt like booing him half the time he was playing for us so hardly surprising I booed him now.

hampshireclaret
02-01-2014, 11:47 AM
Don't forget it's not just Jay, it's Fox and Cork who will probably be playing for BFC Reserves on Saturday !!

NottsClaret
02-01-2014, 11:58 AM
“McCann always came across as a surly malcontent both on and off the pitch.”

Are we discussing the same person here?

Both left for more money without having to uproot family etc. Surely anyone would do the same. Both were fairly decent for us, both probably needed a move.

I didn’t bother booing or cheering either of them, I don’t know how people get their knickers in a twist about this. You’ll see hundreds of players come and go, best not to get to overwrought about it every time you see on of them again.

edison
02-01-2014, 11:59 AM
"it's not just Jay, it's Fox and Cork who will probably be playing for BFC Reserves on Saturday"

Who else?

I doubt Jay will play.

Toby1
02-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Attitude, simple as that, if people pay their hard earned money they at least expect 100% effort all the times from players that are out there.

If players don't give at least 100% then they are not appreciated and customers/supporters are quite at liberty to let players know about it.

3putt
02-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Players come and go for a whole host of reasons.

Personally it's indifference for me when an ex-player plays against us or applause for somebody who was exceptional or a long-standing servant.

Can't understand the boo boys, always remember Glen Little getting booed on his return, which I thought was disgraceful.

braindead
02-01-2014, 01:57 PM
I didn't boo or cheer either of them bcause I couldn't give a flying **** about either player now they have left burnley.

What I do hope though is that they look at their respective clubs and league positions and have maybe a tinge of regret, similar to when Lafferty left for Rangers and the likes of Alan Gow turned us down just before we got promoted in 2009.

Rileybobs
02-01-2014, 02:34 PM
I've got to say I found it pretty odd when some Burnley fans applauded Paterson's equaliser yesterday. Equally odd was Paterson's attempt at a non-celebration where he appeared to try and show respect to his former club by not celebrating, only to milk the moment for about 30 seconds.

beddie
02-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Its called the copy cat syndrome. To prove my point try this next time there is no noise from the crowd, start singing " come on Burnley" " come on Burnley" and just see how many join in.

edison
02-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Copy cat syndrome indeed - I reckon only one person started booing McArthur at Wigan, thinking it was McCann, and others joined in

Longsider1994
02-01-2014, 05:19 PM
I booed McCann purely because after I met him a couple of weeks ago in a nightclub after I shook his hand he told me to "now F off!" For that reason alone I'll boo the man. Not bitter at all ;)

g69
02-01-2014, 05:27 PM
"It's worth remembering some Burnley fans are idiots "
And players can be at times
UTC

inchydaman
02-01-2014, 07:23 PM
I applauded neither and booed McCann.

McCann is a toss pot, who didn't do a great deal for the club other than collect his wage whilst sitting on a treatment table, only to jump ship for a few quid as soon as horse face knocking.

Paterson didn't achieve a great deal more than McCann, but at least his match day commitment was visible, even if his match day quality was lacking.

bleedingClaret
02-01-2014, 07:28 PM
I did neither

but understand both

As said above some players gain affinity with the supporters and some don't, and it becomes apparent when they leave.

Akinbadbye_20
02-01-2014, 07:31 PM
They were both ***** players in the team that took us to the premier league and are both still good Championship players.

I applauded both

Quattro
02-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Longsider1994: You have to this nightclub where you were?

OneNilWade
02-01-2014, 08:25 PM
I always find these situations difficult because my passion for the club will never be overridden by any previous highlights , even Wade who was my hero after wembley will not get clapped if he scores against us no way ...my respect is to just not boo him ..

bfcjg
02-01-2014, 08:35 PM
I treated them both as I do all opposition players I ignored them.

The Bedlington Terrier
03-01-2014, 08:46 AM
I have absolutely no idea but I was astonished to see Burnley fans applauding an opposing team's equalizer. I gave them both the equal amount of contempt they deserve, all this former Burnley hero bollox is OK when a player is fully retired and NOT playing against us..!