PDA

View Full Version : Man on the post at free kicks

tigerbotswana
02-01-2014, 07:53 PM
Looking at Suarez's free kick if we had someone on the post could this goal have been prevented?

TigersCave
02-01-2014, 08:01 PM
TB I have said this for about the last 10 games. Smallings goal against Man Utd and even Gerrards free kick at the KC was preventable. Its rare a ball rises in to the net from distance a player hits the ball to make it dip. If the keeper has one side of the goal to protect , one player is on the post and another on the 6 yard line protecting more of the goal then the chances of a direct score are limited surely..?

But then again, if that was the case why isn't it being done. I remember a few years back a team experimenting without a wall, but placing players in a fragmented wall, not in a line but at staggered depths. this again reduced the depth of field for the player hitting the ball..

Cowboy1
03-01-2014, 11:03 AM
When I was at school (Gawd, that's 65 years ago now) the 'man on each post' marking was a standard tactic. I too have noticed in recent years that this is being totally ignored and free kick experts can 'curl' or 'dip' the ball into the top corners with ease. I remember one team having the two outside men in the wall carrying another player on their shoulders.
Where there's a will there's a way.