PDA

View Full Version : Concern

theoninedog
02-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Aye were sitting third top of the league, playing some really good stuff at times, everyone is chipping in, I couldn't be more delighted.

However...

Its still a concern that Vernon, Zola and Magennis have only hit 6 or so league goals between them so far this season.

I realise (more so with Big Vern and Zola) its more so about link up play suiting the style DM is implementing, but should we be expecting more goals from our strikers?

Is McGinn played out wide this season to accommodate the above? Although he's effective and contributes hugely out wide, I much prefer him making an impact through the middle.

RedStarTorphins
02-01-2014, 08:07 PM
I'd say a bigger concern is the lack of defensive cover after Sunday.

No Hector, Considine, or Robertson.

Left with 3 defenders, and one of them isn't fit to play every week.

MLAF44
02-01-2014, 08:09 PM
DM's got to bring in new defender(s) although I do like the boy Murray, Time to give him a run?

Dandy_2_Stars
02-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Rio Ferdinand, SAF , DM and SM spotted eating at "La Conneries" in Glasgow the night.

Might be nothing but seems a strange mix?

Inverdons
02-01-2014, 08:24 PM
When's Considine back?

OhioRed
03-01-2014, 03:38 AM
Conso will be out for another few weeks I think.

We will have to bring in a defender and maybe even two.

As for Vernon, Magennis and Zola, between them they have 10 goals (Vernon 6, Magennis 1 and Zola 3). I think we really seriously need a striker with an instinct for goal. Magennis is a nice guy and has a lot of energy but he doesn't score goals. Vernon has more instinct for it but is very inaccurate and is almost always second to the ball. Zola is a bit of a fish out of water. Great hold up and lay offs but not what you want leading the line.

With Weaver's contract being up I hope to see him going out the door and either Rodgers coming back from loan and being on the bench for us, or a replacement of some quality being drafted in.

However we will just have to wait and see.

hilton82
03-01-2014, 05:29 AM
Robertson and considine should be back for end month. considine is a first pick and can pop up with a goal . roberston was starting put some decent performances in aswell.i say striker mare priority than defender. but if pawlett and midfield keep popping up with goals fa needs them:)

WestCoastDon
03-01-2014, 10:15 AM
We cannot complain about Hayes playing at LB. We have cover there with Reynolds also.

So we have Anderson, Cons and Reynolds at CB. We will get another defender on loan until the end of the season that looks like can play at CB, LB and RB.

We have Shauny at RB with cover from the other defender coming in and even Jack.

Looks like we have defense covered.

DM will still have Hector back in January even if he does sign another defender is my guess.

I also feel that DM has the option to look at a striker no matter what with either additional funding or more likely some other players leaving.

OleOle
03-01-2014, 10:53 AM
With Alan Tate now on board for the defence, my concerns are striker and goalkeeper.

With every passing game, Clangers is dropping more and more clangers. Timmy (twice), ICT (twice) and pikeys are his latest blunders. Luckily the rest of the team has bailed us out (except against timmy), but this won't be the case every time.

A new first-choice goalie is an absolute must, dropping Langfield to the bench and getting Weaver tae phuck.

The striker farce speaks for itself and should be remedied in the summer by getting Vernon, Zola and Magennis tae phuck, as they are all pysh.

xtrmntr75
03-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Getting a new keeper should have been a priority. The strikers are doing ok. Vernon contributes quite a lot to the team. He was one of our best players against Caley. McGinn is on course to get between 15 and 20 goals. If Vernon could get to 10 I'd be happy. Put that together with Pawlettt and Robson maybe getting 10-15 between them and we aren't doing too bad.

All hypothetical of course.

duckman
03-01-2014, 12:27 PM
The "not having a prolific striker" problem is something of a red herring.

McInnes knows the modern game and he knows that it is the job of every man on the pitch to score goals, stop goals and do everything in between. You can have the best defence in the league but ultimately Goals Win Games. Some of our previous managers didn't realise that.

Look at our goalscorers last season:

McGinn scored twenty goals
One player scored five goals
One player scored four goals
Two players scored three goals
Four players scored one goal
TOTAL GOALSCORERS: Nine players

Now look at our goalscorers so far this season:
McGinn has scored nine goals
One player has scored five goals
One player has scored four goals
Two players have scored three goals
Seven players have scored one goal
TOTAL GOALSCORERS: Twelve players

So, half way through the season and we've scored thirty one goals. Last season we had our prolific striker and managed forty in the ENTIRE season.

The goals are coming from all over th

OleOle
03-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Some good points there, duck.

However two pedantic points I must make :

(1) Low is not a defender.

(2) The other defenders to score this season are Considine and Shaughnessey.

I agree that the goalie situation is more pressing than the striking situation, but the striking situation has to be sorted out in the summer.

duckman
03-01-2014, 03:01 PM
You're right about Low, of course. Momentary lapse in brainpower there I think!

As for Considine and Shaughnessey, I was only counting league goals (cup goals are skewed as different clubs play different numbers of games) but if two defenders have also scored in the cups for us then it kind of proves my point!

theoninedog
18-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Nearly 6 games now. Strikers nowhere to be seen .

Time for a reshuffle. Stop playing mcginn out wide just to accomodate scott vernon up front.

RedStarTorphins
18-01-2014, 03:17 PM
Nearly 6 games now. Strikers nowhere to be seen .

Time for a reshuffle. Stop playing mcginn out wide just to accomodate scott vernon up front.

Aye, you could just about make half a no.9 out of all 3 of Zola, Vernon & Magennis.

aleale
18-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Think we have to remember at times that this is McInnes' first season after taking over a poor side, and its obvious from reports we are after a striker.

InversneckieDob
18-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Aye, we're a long way off the finished article, but IMHO, we're ahead of schedule.

I doubt Del is kidding himself on, he's halfway through his first season and there's a long, long way to go.

Let's nae compromise our good start by getting impatient.

GGMDONS
19-01-2014, 09:10 AM
We need to sign a winger & a striker. eg. Rooney & Goodie

Then also play Mcginn in the middle.

Also hope we get Hector back

A new gk can wait until the summer.

Feck_the_Huns
19-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Aye, we're a long way off the finished article, but IMHO, we're ahead of schedule.

I doubt Del is kidding himself on, he's halfway through his first season and there's a long, long way to go.

Agree, Sneck. But it's one think to play centre backs as full backs. It's another to expect them to bomb on and provide the attacking width.

felt okay after the Well defeat, cos we played them off the park, and it was just one of those days that will always happen. Yesterday was just sh1te though

pwlp
19-01-2014, 09:31 AM

Spot on ye auld hour. There were a few folk around me booing some of the play about 10 minutes after ICT scored i.e. whilst the 1st half was still going on. Unbelievable! Just mentala??

Keep calm and carry on Dons

TheAngusBull
19-01-2014, 09:38 AM

Yasss min.

I'm as pissed off as the next Red at losing at home to an under strength ICT but we need som perspective here.

Yes we are doing a lot better than last season, yes we have more points and yes we have been on a very good run but by f*ck we need some perspective.

We are a fair way off being DM's team and as Sneckie says the 'finished article'. DM is only just into his second transfer window and were light years ahead of the sh1te we have had over the last few seasons.

He is no doubt assessing his options and will address the issues. I am encouraged that his substitutions are by in large the same ones we/I would make which suggests he sees things the same way as mos

WestCoastDon
19-01-2014, 09:39 AM

I agree with this. My concern is, believe it or not, his signings.

The signings that mattered this season the most have been Robson and Flood. 2 players that have played in several teams together and go hand in glove. Take them out of the equation... Gregg Wylde, Zola and Weaver have hardly lit up the heather.

Hector to me was a lucky loan signing.

I heard the last week that good managers get 60% of their signings right and great managers get 80% of their signings right.

There are question marks for me on the signings.

SMsW
19-01-2014, 09:44 AM

Do you reckon he just picked his out of a hat. He obviously saw him playing, possibly when he was managing down South and knew he would do a job for us.

TheAngusBull
19-01-2014, 09:48 AM

I agree with this. My concern is, believe it or not, his signings.

The signings that mattered this season the most have been Robson and Flood. 2 players that have played in several teams together and go hand in glove. Take them out of the equation... Gregg Wylde, Zola and Weaver have hardly lit up the heather.

I heard the last week that good managers get 60% of their signings right and great managers get 80% of their signings right.

There are question marks for me on the signings.[/quote]

Very harsh on Hector min unless you can substantiate that he had never seen him play or knew about

WestCoastDon
19-01-2014, 09:53 AM

Do you reckon he just picked his out of a hat. He obviously saw him playing, possibly when he was managing down South and knew he would do a job for us.[/quote]

No, I am not saying that. I know they did a lot of work on him.

What I am saying is that as a young guy that was not getting much first team experience at his home club, signing him as a loan for 6 months was not taking much of a risk. If it did not work out it would have been fair enough.

You cannot build a team around loan signings. I do not believe the management team thought he would make as large an impact as he did. Therefore, yep, it was pretty lucky.

WestCoastDon
19-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Very harsh on Hector min unless you can substantiate that he had never seen him play or knew about him beforehand.

sorry - it was not meant to be harsh. I was only saying that getting a 21 year old on a loan signing with no first team experience with his home club is always a risk... This one worked out far better than expected. Therefore was lucky.

What happened with Declan McManus at Alloa could easily have been the experience of Hector. He could have come up to Aberdeen and hated the experience.

TheAngusBull
19-01-2014, 10:01 AM
Very harsh on Hector min unless you can substantiate that he had never seen him play or knew about him beforehand.

sorry - it was not meant to be harsh. I was only saying that getting a 21 year old on a loan signing with no first team experience with his home club is always a risk... This one worked out far better than expected. Therefore was lucky.

What happened with Declan McManus at Alloa could easily have been the experience of Hector. He could have come up to Aberdeen and hated the experience.[/quote]

Still not sure I agree.

Every signing carries an element of risk whether that be loan, permanent, experienced player or emerging youngster.

What I like about the signings so far whether they have worked or not has been that you can understand why they have been signed. Sometimes in the past I felt we have signed some players just because we could rather because we nee

InversneckieDob
19-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Point is, the market (i.e. nae expensive) we're shopping in, every single signing is a risk.

He obviously saw something in Zola, fair enough, let's be charitable and say his style hasnae transferred up here.

Weaver is an experienced keeper, brought in as back up.
I dinna think he was viewed as seriously competing with Clangers, but mebbe he was.

Wylde is an odd one.

Looked a good signing on paper and looked promising in patches, but he's obviously slid doon the pecking order and never had a regular run in the team.

Canna help thinking that getting rid was a move to free up his wage to bring someone else in (based on the assumption the Low, Smith etc. are seen as adequate depth in a similar position).

I have no issue with his signings.

OhioRed
19-01-2014, 04:19 PM
I have no issue at all with DMs signings. Flood & Robson have been excellent and are now an integral part of the team.

Wylde has a lot of pace and undoubtedly has ability. What he doesn't have is the right attitude. I think DM believed, at least partly because the player said so, that Wylde was desperate to relaunch his career and that he would work his balls off to get that chance. That proved to not be so. He didn't seem to want to work hard, and that is one thing DM demands.

Weaver is a second choice keeper, there for back up and really nothing else. Again a man looking to resurrect his career. Worth remembering too that great keepers are difficult to come by in our league, so he took the best he could find in our price range, i.e. free.

Zola is a big strong guy who can hold the ball and lay it off. Problem is he isn't mobile enough, but I think we play better with him on the field. He has even less shots on goal than Vernon and plays more of a holding role but he does set others