PDA

View Full Version : Just Back From the Game (EPL)

edgarprais
04-01-2014, 11:10 AM
I had my first experience of the EPL on New Year's Day, as I went to see Crystal Palace host Norwich.

It was, by far, the worst match I've seen all season. The standard of football was truly shocking. Long-ball stuff from Palace, with Jerome and Chamakh doing the Calvin Zola job and Puncheon acting like Joe Miller - all pace, with no crossing ability.

Norwich were simply garbage. Their keeper, Ruddy, was a bombscare who had crisp-packet hands. Gary Hooper is not exactly in the peak physical condition you would associate with an athlete.

The only department in which the game was superior to anything we witness every week was the referee. Mike Dean was outstanding - on top of everything, authoritative, and the players clearly respected him. Even then, he missed a blatant red for Chamakh.

The conditions were poor and the two teams are not representative of the best that the EPL has to offer. When there is a good match, the EPL is incomparable. However, amidst all the hype, there are

xtrmntr75
04-01-2014, 11:18 AM
I was impressed with Palace at the Etihad Stadium the previous week. Their fans are a rowdy bunch too.

PompeyDon1903
04-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Went to a couple of EPL games at Fratton Park a good number of years ago against Liverpool and Newcastle. Think both of them ended up 1 - 1. Both can be best described as tedious. Overrated and seriously over-priced league.

lefteye
04-01-2014, 12:44 PM
how much was your ticket?

Worth it?

Aye_Aye_jock_McKay
04-01-2014, 12:54 PM
I've been to a few EPL games, mainly Man U (not a supporter just got a mate who lives there and is) and they have all been great to watch. However we also went to an Everton V Wigan last year and it was a real snorefest, no excitement, no real skill and no real atmosphere, oh and the area round Goodison is like something fae Weegie!

GlezgaRed
04-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Went to a couple of EPL games at Fratton Park a good number of years ago against Liverpool and Newcastle. Think both of them ended up 1 - 1. Both can be best described as tedious. Overrated and seriously over-priced league.

Went to a Everton - Man U game a few years back and even though it finished 2-4 I would have to agree with the bold above...we were all bored midway through the 2nd half and i'm sure it was 48 quid for the privilege !!

edgarprais
04-01-2014, 01:29 PM
I didn't pay for the ticket (borrowed a season book), but it retailed ?25-30.

EDIT TO ADD: of course, the fact that I wasn't a Palace fan would have impacted on my attention-span. However, I was in the Palace end, with Palace fans, and was rooting for them. A lot of the time, I was on my phone checking the Dons score. Had a one-man bounce when Pawlett's winner went in

Dec123Red
04-01-2014, 01:43 PM
If you go to a game between two of the worst teams in any league in any country there is a fairly high chance it will be a rubbish game.

PompeyDon1903
04-01-2014, 02:38 PM

Went to a Everton - Man U game a few years back and even though it finished 2-4 I would have to agree with the bold above...we were all bored midway through the 2nd half and i'm sure it was 48 quid for the privilege !![/quote]

The games I went to were about 35 a piece in the 2004/05 season. About the same time I was on holiday in Madeira and took in Maritimo vs Porto. Great game, beer at my seat, all for 14. :D

521buc
04-01-2014, 02:54 PM

Went to a Everton - Man U game a few years back and even though it finished 2-4 I would have to agree with the bold above...we were all bored midway through the 2nd half and i'm sure it was 48 quid for the privilege !![/quote]

The games I went to were about A?35 a piece in the 2004/05 season. About the same time I was on holiday in Madeira and took in Maritimo vs Porto. Great game, beer at my seat, all for A?14. :D[/quote]

If that was the same game I went to I think it was on in late September..

Well the one I went to was certainly a good game can't remember the score though..we sat in the mai

OregonRed2
04-01-2014, 05:52 PM
It would be interesting to see how real competitive matches between SPLF teams and Championship teams would go.
Never going to happen.
If you ever go to Championship teams fans forums they tend to think of the likes of Aberdeen as league 2 stuff.