Marney 6
Jones 7
Arfield 6
Ings 8
Vokes 8

Stanislas 7

Lordnelsonclaret
04-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Heaton -couldn't do anything about the goals,distribution a bit wayward but otherwise decent...7
Trippier-didnt get a lot of joy from opposition,but did what he could...7
Lafferty-defended ok but doesn't look sharp enough for me...6
Long-defended ok but again not quick enough if we take a step up...6
Shackell-Not his normal self looks as though he could do with a couple of weeks rest??Did ok but his passing was poor...5
Treacy-Did all he could,good feet but offered nothing...5
Marney-Gives 100% for the cause and without him in the engine room could have been several more goals!!...7
Jones-Did ok but up against some decent players..6
Arfield-Sorry not for me he was their best player...4
Ings-A big plus you could see his family and friends were there watching what a goal..8
Vokes-Did all that a good old fashioned centre forward does...put himself about and did well up top...7

We did ok against a half strength Southampton side but we could have done more.I feel we could have exerted ours

mkmel
04-01-2014, 07:22 PM
You say Southampton had a half strength team but most of the other half of their team were on the bench and they ended up having to use them.

We had as many players missing from our squad as they did with no Duff,Kightly,Mee and Wallace and we only really have a tiny squad size of 19 senior players.

ClaretTony2014
04-01-2014, 07:43 PM
And I thought I'd been under generous with my ratings

royboyclaret
04-01-2014, 09:16 PM
"Shackell-Not his normal self looks as though he could do with a couple of weeks rest??"

Due to Bolton's win today our game at the Reebok scheduled for the 25th will not happen now so Shacks should have a ten day break at least.

KarenClaret
04-01-2014, 09:37 PM
Had to follow match reports but come on!! Fair play to the lads! That's a very respectable score against a premiership team! It was tied on Jay would score!! Why do all the ex Burnley players manage to get one in the back of the net? Nugent, Patterson and Rodrigez in last few games!
Well done to the lads!
Up the Clarets!

claretblue
04-01-2014, 09:42 PM
'...Why do all the ex Burnley players manage to get one in the back of the net...'

Iwellumo now plays for S****horpe - we're not playing them this season

...are we? :O :s

:D

Sidney1st
04-01-2014, 09:52 PM
Now I'm sure I saw Shackell limping a little in the first half, which may explain why he wasn't outstanding today.

mkmel
04-01-2014, 10:42 PM
The guys on ClaretsPlayer commented that Shacks seemed to have hurt his hip.

ClaretTony2014
04-01-2014, 11:21 PM
"The guys on ClaretsPlayer commented that Shacks seemed to have hurt his hip."

Was that when they weren't whinging about the supposed lack of added time?

And this is the player ratings thread

Grogmir
04-01-2014, 11:48 PM
Heaton 6
Trippier 6
Long 6
Shackell 6
Lafferty 5
Treacy 5
Marney 6
Jones 6
Arfield 4
Ings 8
Vokes 8

Stanislas 6

The lads fought well, but there was no real stand out performances apart from the front two.

bfcjg
05-01-2014, 12:02 AM
From what I heard on the radio we tried our best and lets face it they are a good team.
Full credit to the fans who went and well done to the players for almost getting them back to the Turf.

Sarum
05-01-2014, 08:13 AM
Heaton 6
Trippier 6
Long 6
Shackell 6
Lafferty 6
Treacy 5
Marney 7
Jones 6
Arfield 6
Ings 8 (extra point for the goal)
*Vokes 8

Stanislas 6

I really can't quite remember a feeling in the stand towards an ex-Claret quite like this one: well done Jay (and the majority of Clarets fans) for dispelling the myth that there's no longer sentiment and affection in football. Jay's having a brilliant career and it was great to have the opportunity to show our respect and pleasure at his success.

For this one occasion I'll give an opponent a rating:
Jay Rodriguez: 9 (one marked deducted for hitting the target).

neild100
05-01-2014, 09:22 AM
Heaton 7 - very busy, faced some superb shooting
Trippier 7 - some good work going forward and some key interceptions
Long 7 - good shift
Shackell 7 - did well
Lafferty 8 - his best game for Burnley - easily our best defender despite being left hopelessly exposed by Arfield. Got forward well and took up good positions
Treacy 4 - just don't get it
Marney 6 - industrious but Southampton's class in midfield showed
Jones 6 - as Marney
Arfield 4 - shocker -must have been ill or something, no energy or drive, his errors lead to both first half goals
Ings 8* - terrorised their defence when given an opportunity
Vokes 8 - Sam was brought up to be a Southampton fan but put that behind him in the second half with a great display. Would have had more in the first half but poor ball control let him down a few times

Stanislas 8 - OK he's not great at chasing back at tackling, but he can change a game, beat defenders and hit superb corners.

superdimitri
05-01-2014, 01:14 PM
Heaton 5 - Let in 4 goals, 2 of which were long shots that he didn't even move for and for the third goal he should have held the ball. His kicking was terrible. He made one save where he held the ball and another when the ball was going wide.

Tripier 6 - So slow in defence, but fast in attack, don't understand this.

Long 7 - Did well, was one of the few players completely up for the game. Diminished so many of their extra chances and loved playing against Rodriguez.

Shackell 4 - Absolutely terrible. Positioning was terrible, distribution worse. Didn't seem to give a crap. Should have been taken off the field. Perhaps a small inury didn't help him, but even so he should have asked to go off.

Lafferty 6 - At first he looked like he didn't know what hit him, but gradually got better with some crucial headers and clearances. In fairness he was targeted by the opposition (like we usually are on the left side of defence). Arfield didn't have a good game, which didn't help him. Doubt Mee

Claret_on_Sea
05-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Heaton 7 Did OK. Had no chance for first two.
Trippier 6 Better in second half. Was dragged around a bit in first, probably due to Treacy.
Lafferty 8 Thought he had a good game, didn't do much wrong.
Shackell 6 Looked like he got injured early on and was never really right after that. Gave the ball away a bit.
Long 7 Did well against a PL attack really.
Treacy 4 Gave us nothing going back or forwards.
Marney 5 Ran around all game, extra point over Treacy for great cross for Vokes goal.
Jones 7 Best player in the midfield but couldn't do it all on his own.
Airfield 5 Not his best day, shame about gifting their first goal, changed the game, we looked OK all round til then.
Ings 8 Top quality and a great goal. So hard to get ball off, too good for Championship. Looked particularly good in second half when got a few longer balls to run on to.
Vokes 8 Well taken goal, didn't look out of place in second half against PL defenders. Would have been a 9 if control had been better in the first h

lotty1
06-01-2014, 10:22 AM
superdimitri - I respectfully suggest you either have another look at the goals or visit specsavers if you really think that Heaton didn't move for 2 of the goals from distance . Quite an amazing comment . :?

brunlea99
06-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Heaton 7 - Not a chance with either of the first two goals - particularly the first one.
Trippier 7 - Good game
Long 7 - Good game
Shackell 7 - Solid.
Lafferty7 - Good game.
Treacy 6 - Never really got into the game.
Marney 7 - Good game
Jones 8 - Looked a premiership player.
Arfield 6 - A good start and was close to giving us the lead. Seemed to lose all confidence after giving away possession for the first 2 goals.
Ings 8 - Scared the back two all day. A fantastic goal.
Vokes 9 - An immense display, by far and away the best player on the pitch.

Overall, I thought we started very well in the first 20 minutes and looked very comfortable on the ball. We certainly had the two best chances in the early stages (Arfield and a header by Ings which I think he could have done better with). However, the double body blow of 2 quick goals - both fantastic - subdued us for the rest of the half. A totally different second period though - fantastic to watch and we could so easily have gone on

IanMcL
06-01-2014, 12:18 PM
I did not see the match, as out of the country. However, the fact that we won the second half 3-2 and the feedback from the media and management has been so positive... The marks appear very harsh!!!

jwp
06-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Heaton 6, could maybe do better for the 3rd but could do nothing much about the others
Trippier 6 quiet first half must better 2nd, solid enough
Long 7 looked shaky at times but good goal and great ball for Ings' goal
Shackell 6 not his usual self but solid enough
Lafferty 6 fine
Marney 6 extra mark for the cross for the first goal, first half awful 2nd much better
Jones 5 similar to Marney, poor first half, better 2nd
Arfield 5, couldn't get to grips with Clyne down that side
Treacy 6 put a shift in but little end product
Ings 8 superb 2nd half, good goal from a tight angle
Vokes 8 held the ball up, good goal - just a shame he didn't take his chance at 2-2, it was a very good save though
Stanislas 6 - ok, looked lively.

Difficult one to mark as first half we were as bad as I've seen under Dyche, just stood off Southampton and couldn't string two passes together. 2nd half we were excellent and looked dangerous every time we went forward and Vokes scored at 2 all or Ings chance that hi