PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed

WanderClaret
04-01-2014, 06:03 PM
Over the years I've seen the CM faithful provide useful information on a range of issues so here goes. At the end of the month I have a 2 day assessment center for a job as a trainee buyer. I've done one before but it was only over the course of one day so I'm not entirely sure what to expect (I didn't get the last one and it was a while ago).

If anybody has any advice or tips I would greatly appreciate it, I already work in the sector so I'm pretty knowledgeable about the job itself, just not the assessment process. Cheers guys!

1968claret
04-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Wander,
There are a number of different exercises that could be used. Role plays, group discussion, psychometric tests
You can get books in whsmith which give hints and tipson assessment ccentres. Probably also quite a lot on Google.

Good luck

barracuda
04-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Be positive and outgoing and ask questions and get yourself noticed by the decision-makers

Edit - And smile

WanderClaret
04-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Thanks, sounds a lot like I had anticipated. I have already done some psychometric tests in the previous application stage but they will presumably revisit those? Slightly concerned about the role play exercises, the one I did previously the assessor seemed to be trying to be as contradictory and unhelpful as possible, to the point of it devaluing the point of the task at times I felt.

I assume there will be some kind of social event after the first day as the candidates will be from nationwide and most likely stopping in accommodation near the offices. I think I will try and just be as natural as possible and see what happens, don't really want to over think it too much. Thanks again!

SIeeperclaret
05-01-2014, 09:44 AM
I've done quite a few assessment centres in the past and know people who have assessed them too. Here are some general tips:

Group Exercise: They will time you for your first intervention and also how relevant and insightful it was. Read the prep material carefully and summarise the task at the start. Offer to keep track of time for the group and suggest some relevant timings so 20 mins for discussion, 10 mins summary/agreement time etc and make sure people sick to it. During discussions, make sure you don't dismiss others suggestions out of hand. Build on them where possible and say things like "that's a good suggestion but it might be difficult to do that because of... To get around that we could... (Your suggestion)". Encourage others to join in if they're quiet by asking their opinions on your ideas and build support and momentum.

Role play: You must believe what you're saying! Depending on the scenario you'll probably have some different options you will need to choose from. M

SIeeperclaret
05-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Apologies for the typos and autocorrect fails! That's what typing on a phone does for you! :-)

stalbansclaret
05-01-2014, 12:41 PM
As someone who has participated in such assessments, on boith sides, I think Sleeper Claret offers some excellent advice for you.
If you are,in a written exercise, given a situation and asked to set out what you would do I find a useful technique to avoid "brain-freeze" is to immediately do a SWOT analysis of the situation
ie Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats. You can then think about how you
- Capitalise on strengths
- Counteract Weaknesses
- Take advantage of Opportunities and
- Act to nullify Risks

Good luck.

WanderClaret
05-01-2014, 04:56 PM
Thanks a lot, some really constructive responses. I shall take it on board and let you know how I get on. UTC!

SIeeperclaret
17-03-2014, 09:28 PM
How did it go?