PDA

View Full Version : What is Lerner waiting for?

TrianonDave
04-01-2014, 11:04 PM
Either he really does not care or he is just stupid?
forgetting if you can today's debacle, the Bradford fiasco and the Humiliation of that 8-0 at Chelsea! we have a manager who's league win rate is just 26% ,,,16 wins from 60 games, so I have to ask forgetting about the project for a minute, just why is he still employed by AVFC? he has spent over 40 Million booted out a 24 mill player for just 1 mill, humiliated other players like Hutton and Warnock, signed a bunch of no bodies even our flash in the pan Benteke is looking shlt again? why, just wtf is going on?

I know it is not always wise to give a knee jerk reaction and sack the manager because of a couple of bad results like the baggies for instance but this guys record is shocking.

Now here is an interesting one, how long do you think Deadly would have gone before calling him to say 'Your fired' ?? probably straight after that Bradford result.

Look I have nothing against PL, I do not know him but as a Manager of AVFC and NOT No

bongosdad
04-01-2014, 11:41 PM
Is it really that bad though? we all were happy to be midtable at xmas and we are. Yes playing poor football but so are all the teams outside the top 8.
Lambert spent 40m rebuilding the squad with players averaging 2/3 million and very low wages. Were you really expecting more than midtable?
Lambert has brought some very good youngsters that will prosper given time and have the quality around them to continue improving.
For example how much better would Westwood be if Petrov was next to him instead of Sylla or Luna with Lescott next to him instead of Baker.

Lets not write off Lambert s signings yet.
I will pass judgment on Lambert and Learner after February the 1st.

TrianonDave
04-01-2014, 11:50 PM
Bongo i don't have to right them off, they done that them selves!
They are all shlt including Benteke, one season wonder! he was the big man last season now he will be lucky to be playing every game?

We put out our strongest team today and still could not muster a win against a lower league team!
Luna,Tonev,Bowery,Kojak,Bennet,Westwood all shlt sorry but true! :/

samhubball
04-01-2014, 11:56 PM
Are these players being made to look even worse than they are by the tactics set by lambert? I think so. The only width comes from luna and lowton pushing forward which leaves huge gaps for clark and baker to cover and those 2 are not the best CB i have ever seen. The midfield 3 are constantly overrun by oppositions because NOONE plays with only 3 in midfield. Gabby amd Weiman are not wingers but are made to play wide of Benteke (who is quickly becoming the new Carlton Cole).

Bad players with bad managememt equals disaster. Average players with shocking management equals the same.

A decent manager would learn from his mistakes. The definition of madness is repeating he same thing and expecting different results.

Lambert is clueless and his record vouches for that.

bongosdad
05-01-2014, 12:04 AM
Benteke is not a one season wonder. He scored 4 in 5 games before he was injured and really still just a young lad with massive potential.
Between the new year and the end of last season he was the highest scoring striker in europe.
RVP isnt doing well this year and had a few injury problems. I dont see United fans turning on him and hes in his prime. Benteke is twice the player that RVP was at that age and to write Benteke off is reduculous imo.

Im sure lowton and others will improve once we buy some quality to help them. If this doesn't happen Lowton and the other youngsters will progress to slowly. So again i say im judging lambert in Febuary. This is an easy fix if we buy the right combination of players and break the pay structure to get a few good ones in.

If the dont do this i will become negative im sure but im giving Randy and Lambert the benefit of the doubt.
In recent years we have seen players like Young Carew Bent all join in January and have a big impact on the side

TrianonDave
05-01-2014, 12:05 AM
Good point Sam but look at all his signing can you honestly say you had heard of any of them?

Our best players are the ones who were already there!

Guzan,Delph,Weiman,gabby!

bongosdad
05-01-2014, 12:29 AM
And you dont think Benteke is one of our best players :?

monty1
05-01-2014, 05:15 AM
Benteke is no one season wonder, he kept us up single handed last year and was the proverbial one man team.

Every goal kick and free kick is pumped towards him to fight for and it was predictable he would get injured.

Try being a forward in this team!!

TrianonDave
05-01-2014, 11:13 AM
If we all look back to the start of last season, Benteke was shlt for the first third and then struck up a good link with an inform Wieman! he hit form and then got too big for his boots and put in a transfer request!! he is now back to where he started...shlt! and for that matter so is Wieman.

players form is down to the coaching and the managers decisions, Lambert is showing how inept he is at motivating players not just Bentake.

personally, if Arsenal want him and offer 15 million, i would take it but not give it to Lambert, he would only buy another Mr nobody!

naldy
05-01-2014, 11:41 AM
Loser Lerner is the problem :/

monty1
05-01-2014, 11:51 AM
How can Lerner be the problem exactly?

Lamberts had 40m to spend, Lerner is financially propping up the club and we have to get in shape for financial fair play, which we are nowhere near yet.

He picked the manager but to be fair I think most of us had high hopes for Lambert being the one.

naldy
05-01-2014, 12:11 PM
How can Lerner be the problem exactly?

Lamberts had A?40m to spend, Lerner is financially propping up the club and we have to get in shape for financial fair play, which we are nowhere near yet.

He picked the manager but to be fair I think most of us had high hopes for Lambert being the one.

I'd have thought it was obvious, if a manager is hamstrung by a chairmen who won't pay the going rate wages wise, he's only going to be able to sign players who are not in demand because they're not very good, hence the tripe we watch every week, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear :/

naldy
05-01-2014, 12:16 PM
By the way, do you think 40 m is a lot of money to spend to build a complete squad, lots of clubs are spending that amount on a few players, it's peanuts these days.

monty1
05-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Well not too many clube had 40m to spend, only the big boys really.
Hull are above us, I dont think they have spent 40m, Everton are 5th, they havent spent more than us have they?

Swansea who just murdered us in everything but the score have not spent 40m,nor Newcastle.

Their managers are just better, buy better and organise a team better and try to play football.

Spurs, had the Bale money, Chelsea have a Russian gangster in charge, Man City have the state of Abu Dhabi behind them. Man Utd are the 3rd largest club by revenue in the world so they got a few bob but otherwise our spending will be in top 7 or 8 I would say.

I think if you said to most managers of clubs outside the big 6 they could sign 4 x 10m players within 18 months they would all snap your hand off.

No money is not the issue holding the club back, its a poor manager surely?

Where we are in the league at the moment isnt the problem is it, its the way we play that is the problem and the poor quality of the play

Arran007
05-01-2014, 03:46 PM
[quote="monty1"]Well not too many clube had 40m to spend, only the big boys really.
Hull are above us, I dont think they have spent 40m, Everton are 5th, they havent spent more than us have they?

Swansea who just murdered us in everything but the score have not spent 40m,nor Newcastle.

Their managers are just better, buy better and organise a team better and try to play football.

Spurs, had the Bale money, Chelsea have a Russian gangster in charge, Man City have the state of Abu Dhabi behind them. Man Utd are the 3rd largest club by revenue in the world so they got a few bob but otherwise our spending will be in top 7 or 8 I would say.

I think if you said to most managers of clubs outside the big 6 they could sign 4 x 10m players within 18 months they would all snap your hand off.

No money is not the issue holding the club back, its a poor manager surely?

Where we are in the league at the moment isnt the problem is it, its the way we play that is

villahardcore
05-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Lerner only comes to a handful of games now as he has got other things going on in his life hasn't he? Our CEO has a wealth of experience in the credit card industry and the club is in turmoil. Lambert needs to go now despite me and 99% of us wanting him in. He has spunked money on kids that are never going to make it in the Premier and would have been just as good utilising Grealish, Carruthers, Burke etc. The team is a disgrace and an embarrassment to the fans - if we were a plc company like Marks & Spencers the Board and manager would have been out months ago.

naldy
05-01-2014, 04:49 PM
I'm not defending the manager but Houllier,McLeish and now lambert,all signed by Lerner.
As regards Everton and the likes,they've been able to take in a few quality acquisitions like Lukaku and Barry for nothing,as some would put it, something lambert can only dream of with Lerners two bob a week wage policy ,they also haven't been forced to sell every decent player they have, Lerner is the root cause of our demise, if he sacks lambert he'll only bring in another muppet !

bodylessheath
05-01-2014, 06:31 PM
True that Lerner couldn't pick his nose, let alone a manager. But if baled out tomorrow, he has loaned Villa ?200 mill. Who would pay that up for us ?

For me, the core of Lamberts failings have to be his truly awful signings. If they were decent enough signings, they would take care of themselves on a match day, even if Lambo was strategically inept. But this lot he has signed are incompetent.
I struggle to to think of one player he has drafted in, to replace a player that was already there or booted out by him, where there has been an improvement. Eg., I watched Lichaj today for Forest - were Luna or Lowton improvements on him ? Eg., was Bowery an improvement Delfouneso ? He talks up about young & hungry type players ... the only 'young & hungry' he plays are the substandard ones he signed who are crap - yet the likes of Grealish, Carruthers, Gardner, Donacien haven't had a sniff.

villahardcore
05-01-2014, 08:40 PM
At the end of the day we can all see there is more ****e down VP than there was on Noah's Ark.

Brendan00
05-01-2014, 09:43 PM
At the end of the day we can all see there is more ****e down VP than there was on Noah's Ark.

And Noah only had 2 donkeys in his team.

icecreamman
05-01-2014, 10:40 PM
I don't think those clubs in question had to overhaul an entire squad in two seasons (due to high wages).

Sure we could sign 4x 10m players, but we needed more than 4 players. We needed a whole squad on the same funds and wages.

So our pound had to go a little further.

Look back over the last 5 seasons at their transfer activity and which first team players have been around for a while. We only have one regular still with us; Gabby.

So it's different; I bet those other squads all have gentle turnover; we're experiencing squad shock and we simply need time to become fluid together, long ball or not.

monty1
06-01-2014, 07:43 AM
It was Lambert that decided to overhaul the whole squad though.

Dumping expensively bought players on big wages in the Bomb Squad is not a cost cutting exercise, its extremely expensive as it devalues their market value to nothing and you still have them on your wage bill but not playing!

Dropping Bent, for example, has cost the club millions, not saved money.

Our wage budget is still one of the largest in the league, the problem is a large proportion of it is going on players who are not even at the club any more!

Lambert did that not Lerner, Lerner is paying for it, but it has reduced Lamberts budget for wages and fees for new players, obviously!

So Lambert has still been given a huge budget, considering at the same time the club is losing money on a host of other players previous managers bought but Lambert doesnt want.

Add in to this financial equation the new financial fair play rules and you can see what the 'Project' is and why it probably involves, if possible, dont pay h