PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of the Longside / Beehole End being demolished.

Bikeyclaret
05-01-2014, 01:01 PM
I was wondering if anyone could help me by posting any pictures of the these 2 stands being demolished / capturing the construction of the Jimmy Mac & James Hargreaves being built? I'm still annoyed with myself to this day that I never took any pictures so I wondered if anyone could help please...

claptrappers_union
05-01-2014, 01:49 PM
I'm about to chuck out an old video documenting it from 1995, should I keep it and upload it onto YouTube?

Bikeyclaret
05-01-2014, 02:20 PM
That would be brilliant, thank you..

sausagebutty
05-01-2014, 05:15 PM
I wish someone would tear down the stands we have now. Give me the old Longside and Beehole end any day of the week. What we have now are awful. It used to rock on the Longside, now the turf is a library compared to how it used to be. Standing at football can't come back soon enough.

Dressinggown
05-01-2014, 11:30 PM
I would suggest that any images / footage of the redevelopment will be extremely rare.

The view from the Cricket Field Stand with the Longside demolished on the left and the Bee Hole End an isolated terrace remains in my memory.

I recall that we played Blackpool at home at a similar time and the Bee Hole End was where 6,000 fans stood and it looked half empty.

the_quoon
06-01-2014, 09:36 AM
i've definitely got photos of the new longside stand half built taken from the bee hole. might have some of the old one half demolished as well but i'm less sure of that.

that said, they're in a box somewhere at my parents' which doesn't really help. might dig them out and scan them one day.

gawthorpeview
06-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Some scanned photographs at the link Bikey. - view external link (http://s1209.photobucket.com/user/davidc1958/library/)

cricketfield72
06-01-2014, 07:09 PM
sausagebutty has it right.

I feel a bit melancholic after looking at the bulldozers in gawthorpeview's pictures :blue:

I know it's still 'The Turf' but I detest those 2 ugly b*****d new stands.

gawthorpeview
06-01-2014, 08:30 PM
I've added three more pics to the album.

Also a 'bump' for Bikeyclaret, let him know about them if you know him.

Quattro
06-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Brilliant pictures...definitely brought back some memories!

gawthorpeview
06-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Cheers Quattro, 1995 to 1996, 18 years(ish) ago would you believe.
I have no problems remembering the dates as my son was born the day after the last match played in front of the longside.
I was bricking it case she went into labour and I would miss the game.
Mind you I missed the open event the following day - Sunday 17th September 1995.

sausagebutty
06-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Cheers Cricketfield.

Glad to hear there are other fans who think what we have now are awful. The acoustics are terrible, you get **** wet through if you're in the bottom tier and crushed at half time on the concourse. I tell you, if I had the money, I would pay myself for those stands to be tore down and started again. I'd go for a single tier, steeply-banked stand that mirrored what we had before with the longside and beehole. Stick the away fans close-by as they used to be on the Longside and Burnley Fans in the Cricket Field and you might start to get an atmosphere again on the turf...

As it stands, until I win the euromillions and buy a place on the board, we are stuck with two ill thought-out lego boxes that do nothing but depress me everytime I have the misfortune of sitting in them.

Sure the Longside was old and dated and the bogs at the back were a shambles but God-dam it had character, was filled with characters and was where I spent my teenage years shouting and Um-ba-

Espia
06-01-2014, 09:21 PM
I think from an aesthetic stance at pitch level they look ok but agree the concourses are awful. Ok , there wasn't any 'concourses' when the longside was there but you didn't need them ... there was enough body heat for you to not want to move to anywhere.

jdrobbo
06-01-2014, 09:45 PM
Think the game being played is the 3-4 defeat to Notts county. They had Andy Legg on throw in duty and Paul Devlin ran us ragged higher up the pitch.

Great pics

Bikeyclaret
06-01-2014, 10:15 PM
Thanks Gawthorpeview, they are brilliant pictures just what I wanted... If anyone had anymore then please feel free to post...

Longsider56
07-01-2014, 01:12 AM
Here you are mate. I have loads.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2wqe9gn.jpg

WeirClaret
10-01-2014, 02:14 AM
Came across this and hadn't seen it before some interesting dialog at the but take it that its just before the demolition started - view external link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtSS81-HjB0)

todclaret
18-01-2014, 09:01 PM
just spotted this gem of the Longside from the Homes Of Football site

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BeSj6E0CcAAY4CC.jpg:large[img]

Dressinggown
18-01-2014, 09:09 PM
gawthorpeview:

The image of the demolished Bee Hole End with the old Watson Steelwork floodlight pylon still standing is quality.