PDA

View Full Version : Would spending 800k get us promotion ?

FCBurnley
05-01-2014, 05:30 PM
The season has about 16 weeks to go. If we signed a top player earning say 50,000 a week, would we get promotion ?. Cost 800,000. If not would 2 do the trick ?. Cost 1.6 million. Decent investment or throwing money away ? Who could we get for that money ? Midfielder or striker or both. If you were chairman what would you do. If the right players were available I think a 1.6 million `gamble` would be a good risk that would not break the bank if it failed .We might never be in with such a great chance of promotion EVER AGAIN.

The Bedlington Terrier
05-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Let's be serious eh..?

FCBurnley
05-01-2014, 05:36 PM
I am perfectly serious. We just offered 750k for Barnes. So buy Barnes or have a very good player on loan for 16 weeks ?

dsr
05-01-2014, 05:37 PM
There's really two questions. The first question is whether or not a signing like (say) Frank Lampard would improve the side - which I dare say it would. However, that's just silly - we can't get a player who is currently playing for a top side.

So the second question is, if we signed a player who's on 50k but his current side doesn't want him, would that help? Well, Blackburn have got Dickson Etuhu and Carlton Cole on money of that order - should we sign them and give it a go? :O

(I'd vote no.)

FCBurnley
05-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Fulham just signed Clint Dempsey who I suspect would be in the 50k bracket. Would he be ok ?

Claretforever
05-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Not only that. Could you imagine the disruption in the dressing room by bringing in a player likely on 10x what the other players are?

The Bedlington Terrier
05-01-2014, 05:49 PM
We are Burnley - the masters of financial prudence with a University to back up our credentials. We will undoubtedly look for a couple of loan players with the host club paying the bulk of the player's wages. Alternatively Ings or Trippier will be sold at top money, some of the revenue destined for the dry powder room and an amount spent to consolidate our promotion push. Simples!

royboyclaret
The whole spirit and togetherness of this team has been achieved by players earning a tenth of the amount you are suugesting.

How do you think they would then react to two players brought in earning 50k per week?

bfcjon
The Op is right...
A little backing and ching ching...Another 90 million,..even if we come back down, we can at least compete for another 4 years in the championship,..

Quicknick
05-01-2014, 05:51 PM
I do not think it would work. The existing players may be unsettled by someone on 50K. Plus, as others have said: who the hell is there that would improve things?

lotty1
05-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Great IF it's a cast iron certainty we'd be promoted Roger . Sadly there are no such cast iron certainties as you well know so on that basis I'm out . :D

FCBurnley
05-01-2014, 05:53 PM
As a player I would welcome any quality player who might help me fullfil my dream of playing in the Premier League next season. Sometimes needs must.

lotty1
05-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Is "might" good enough for that outlay ? Mmm .

ksrclaret
05-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Although we're not paying it doesn't Kightly earn considerably more than the rest of the team?

FCBurnley
05-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Ray, nothing is cast iron in sport. The gist of the question is are we better to buy say Barnes or loan a much better quality player who we could never afford to buy.

BFCmaj
05-01-2014, 05:57 PM
I really think it would depend what you spent the money on. For instance, 800k worth of crisps would definitely not work.

dsr
05-01-2014, 06:00 PM
1. I don't think Clint Dempsey would guarantee promotion.

2. If any player has the choice between Fulham or Burnley, I think we might be struggling.

What you're after is someone who isn't wanted by his own club, isn't wanted by any other Premier club, and who is a world beater. I really think you're in cloud cuckoo land.

lotty1
05-01-2014, 06:05 PM
Too much of a gamble Roger as far as I'm concerned .:D

Fretters
05-01-2014, 06:06 PM
We could do what we did with Nugent.. pay the player 15k a week and pay his parent club a loan fee to cover the remaining 35k a week!

yorkyclaret
05-01-2014, 06:06 PM
I've got it, lets get Gazza in like last time, can't be any worse can he?

Hozz
05-01-2014, 06:15 PM
I assume this was the thinking behind Craig Bellamy going on loan to Cardiff in 2010. They nearly made it that season.

bfcjon
05-01-2014, 06:16 PM
No, we will need more than that...me thinks..>:(
This might be our last shot,..if we don"t i fear the worst...ie division one coming ever nearer..
This is our last chance,...Chairman ,Fans,.Walk ons this is it...Get Behind Them!!!!

Please...

Sidney1st
05-01-2014, 06:19 PM
"What you're after is someone who isn't wanted by his own club, isn't wanted by any other Premier league club, and who is a world beater"

Shame Spurs sacked AVB, because Adebayor would've been ideal :-P

LoveCurryPies
05-01-2014, 07:19 PM
"This might be our last shot,..if we don"t i fear the worst...ie division one coming ever nearer.."

Even if we just fail to get promoted there is absolutely no reason to think so negatively.

Sidney1st
05-01-2014, 07:50 PM
From near the top of the championship to league one just like that.

That's impressive, even for Clarets Mad.

bfcjon
05-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Sidney,...i did not for one minute mean this season..
But next, if we miss out..??...This season has been remarkable, and i want us to go up!!
But i fear if we don"t,...it could then be division one,...

We need support not sarcastic comments???

bfcjon
05-01-2014, 09:32 PM
LoveCurryPies...Sorry but i think this is our last chance of the big time,.if only for one season,..at least we will have then hopefully 4 years min championship football...

I"m not negative, just a realist...

Like i said support, and we will achieve !!

stalbansclaret
05-01-2014, 09:44 PM
I don't get the O/P at all. As dsr as already implied the idea seems to be that we could pick up 2 top class players, without any up-front transfer fee and who would want to come and play for us.
So we are looking for world-beating free-agents who fancy playing for Burnley ...riiiiiiiiiiight :?

Jakubclaret
05-01-2014, 09:55 PM
I think just with a few more signings abit more depth would be apt to cover with reasonable championship standard would be fine its just identifying where the weaknesses lie & slotting them in. The players are out there & its more than acheiveable to get them. SD will be looking at that i think & business may be late into the window i think alot goes under the radar to stop agents wrangling its disadvantageous to let targets go into the public domain stokes up competition.

Quattro
05-01-2014, 10:42 PM
Not for me sorry - I don't think a couple of players who just want to pick up a hefty wage packet with no real incentive to succeed are what we need!

Jamb0MackemClaret
06-01-2014, 08:19 AM
It's an interesting argument but not a move I could see Burnley go for. Gazza was a punt that didn't come off and we haven't looked like taking that kind of risk again since.

Of course you can spend what you like and it doesn't guarantee promotion - just look at QPR. Also you have to consider that spending the money (which we can only spend once remember so have to be careful) on Barnes means we get an asset who can step up when Ings leaves and hopefully be the next star. If we were to get a loan to the end of the season that leaves us needing to do a lot more in the market in the summer.

But I do think the idea has some merit. One suggestion I floated recently was to go for a player from the PL who is coming back from injury. Get them in for a month or two, cover say half their wages and you get them back to full fitness for the parent club and get them some football. The I came up with was Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, but there will be other players in the same boat. Even if we co

BlackCountry
06-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Any 50k a week footballer really worth that money just does not come to Burnley full stop.

Reason we may spend some money now is that come the summer Ings will be sold hopefully for a bigger fee than Austin. The only thing that can change that (temporarily) is promotion.

1fatclaret
06-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Have you been at the ketamin or what?

Name me a single 50k (or thereabouts) player who would -

A - Be available for a loan
B - Be willing to play in the championship
C - Be willing to play for us as opposed to any number of more fashionable, clubs, with bigger crowds, better facilities and an equally good chance of promotion
D - Not be a total bell end

hanoverusaclaret
06-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Someone similar to Ian Wright perhaps?

NottsClaret
06-01-2014, 11:44 AM
What if we spend ?800k, then QPR, Leicester and Derby spend ?900k the week after?

Are we still going up?

IanMcL
06-01-2014, 11:49 AM
The player that comes to mind for those last gasp need a goal moments is Kevin Phillips. He has the gift - Just like Andrew Cole...never forget the QPR hat trick!

he could also be of benefit to younger pros.

Might jump at the chance of another promotion on his CV. he would get impact game time guaranteed!

Junius
06-01-2014, 12:37 PM
QPR have half a squad of players on 50k+ and it's not looking guaranteed they will go up.

Very average players demand high wages these days meaning the equivalent of a modern marquee Gazza or Ian Wright signing is relatively more expensive. There's never the guarantee it will work either.

I think Phillips would still be a useful signing though and he would be available for a hell of a lot less than 50k a week.

Quicknick
06-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Phillips would be my choice. He'd be a superb impact player, the ultimate super sub.

FCBurnley
06-01-2014, 01:25 PM
According to the LET, we are making an improved offer for Barnes. He seems to be the player we want above all others. Is he good enough to make an immediate impact ? Will he settle in the frozen north ? I hope so. Phillips would be a more than useful bench player but ideally we need a midfield general.

OneNilWade
06-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Do we need that much? im sure we could get someone on a say 4 month loan(or till the end of the season) who would be happy with 5k a week possibly more if their existing club contribute..

Ask 200 people to buy their early bird season tickets now at ?400 each and as a reward get free entry to all cup games ...and there is your 80k needed simples...put me down :D

PaytonJames
06-01-2014, 02:03 PM
There is every chance we wont sign anybody. Many 8n here will scream "lack of ambition, sack the board" etc etc when the real reason could be that SD feels he isnt right for Burnley, ridiculous financial demands infact a whole host of reasons. I trust SD wether we see new faces or not. He has stated he would like to bring someone in but we dont want someone just for the sake of it. Our small, tight knit squad is a major factor in this seasons squad imho. A squad of 24 well paid decent quality players doesn't bring success as you then have 12 frustrated professionals not playing first team football. lts a difficult balance to obtain. Some players are happy to pick up a wage as a squad player but are they the type we want?

hampsteadclaret
06-01-2014, 04:24 PM
I don't usually comment on football issues which relate directly to football matters at Turf Moor at the present time, because I haven't seen as many games recently as I usually like to do, and don't really feel as if I am in a position to comment, unlike those who attend more regularly.

This though is the type of question that has been bothering me for 6/7 weeks or so..
The OP's question first - No. That amount of money in my opinion is truly peanuts and is irrelevant.

I do though want us to show some ambition and be a little speculative and get a couple of 'decent players' in to strengthen the squad for when we get injuries and suspensions in the second half of the season, as we surely will.

Who and where from..? I will let the experts [plenty on here] decide that. I trust the manager on that one, and he will have a little list in his inside jacket pocket of about 8/9s who he would get in immediately if he could [that is, any 2 of the 8/9] do that.
Would 2 new faces upset th

charlieinkentucky
06-01-2014, 04:25 PM
I'd take Bigirimana or Obertan, possibly the younger Ameobi and that's just thinking about Newcastle. None of them really getting a game.