PDA

View Full Version : Remaing fixtures - odds in our favour

theclaret57
06-01-2014, 01:32 PM
If you look who we have left to play we have the majority of our games against the top half teams at home and our away games are mainly against those in the bottom half.

Home:

Sheffield Wednesday ( B )
Brighton (T)
Millwall ( B )
Nottm Forest (T)
Derby (T)
Leeds (T)
Doncaster ( B )
Leicester (T)
Middlesbrough ( B )
Wigan (T)
Ipswich (T)

Away

Yeovil ( B )
Bolton ( B )
QPR (T)
Bournemouth ( B )
Blackburn (T)
Birmingham ( B )
Charlton ( B )
Watford ( B )
Barnsley ( B )
Blackpool (T)
Reading (T)

Boliclaret
06-01-2014, 01:45 PM
My philosophy this season has been to hope we can win or get something from the next fixture without any injuries or silly bookings (or heaven forbid straight reds)

Its a very fine line in football. We could for example be lining up at Old Trafford next season while PNE are 2 Divisions lower. :D

Or we could be losing on a luckless afternoon against PNE with their daft fans singing We are superior. :(

PaytonJames
06-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Personally I find this irrelevant. We can beat QPR one week then struggle against Yeovil the week after...(examples only). There are no bankers in this division, even the other highly placed sides drop points against the more mediocre sides. Thats the beauty of the Championship as opposed to the Prem were the top 6 win every game apart from those also in the top 6, usually.

OneNilWade
06-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Nothing is guaranteed either way but the OP has a good point because if we were saying we still need to play the top say 10 teams all away it would have a bearing...

after watching the lads at Southampton i genuinely think we will go up there is a real grit and determination about this squad UTC B)

Jamb0MackemClaret
06-01-2014, 02:02 PM
This is particularly relevant as our home form is so good. Beat teams like Derby and Leicester at home and we'll be right up there.

CardyTheClaret
06-01-2014, 03:21 PM
You may as well add a 'B' to Blackpool too.

Royconmike1
06-01-2014, 03:22 PM
I see why the point (about the nature of The Championship rendering home advantage against certain teams less relevant) is being made, but surely it?s better that the fixtures fall this way round? Whilst it will result in a few dropped points (and probably losses) at home, it gives us a great opportunity to be confident of picking up points in every game that we play, keeping our momentum until the end of the season.

I expect plenty of tough games no matter who the opposition, a ton of dropped points from all teams that are up there, and a close finish. I also think that whilst we have plenty to lose if the transfer window ?goes badly? for us, we also have the most to gain. 2 reinforcements in the right areas will make more of a difference for us than any other team in the top 10, so let?s see how it pans out- and be confident.

Selby_Claret
06-01-2014, 03:48 PM
I think , although people may argue that individual decisions in games have been less than fortunate this season so far, the overall fixture list has been kind - as it turns out...

We took 9 points away from home at Ipswich, Derby and Leeds before they found their (recent) feet.

Equally we have to go away to the likes of Blackpool and Reading who potentially appear to be slipping down the table rather than having faced them earlier in the season when their form was better.

It looks like a positive remaining set of fixtures to me with every team in the Top 8 except QPR to come to the turf as well as three out of the bottom five - we do seem to have a fixture list that means teams with 'something to play for' have to come to us whereas we may get to pick up points on our travels against midtable less interested teams come march and april - certainly it appears to be in our hands...UTC!

ColinBlacklabel
06-01-2014, 03:57 PM
Whilst the OP initially does look very promising, Burnley have often had a knack of underperforming against the weaker sides and beating the better teams.

Selby_Claret
06-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Taking the table as it is right now BFC's points breakdown is as follows:

Top half teams - 22 points from 11 games
Bottom half teams - 25 points from 13 games

Pretty even as it goes this year...

the_quoon
06-01-2014, 04:15 PM
its largely irrelevant as many of those teams could be top half and vice versa when we play them.

things change week by week in football.

one game at a time although no doubt i'd rather we were playing our promotion rivals at home than away.

The Bedlington Terrier
06-01-2014, 05:13 PM
If we can average two points a fixture we are almost certainly going up automatically. Simples!

Quattro
06-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Selby_Claret: and from your statistic there, that is pretty much an average of two points per game...that would take us up!

For me, although it would be remarkable to win the league, I'll take any form of automatic promotion!

BelialofBacup
06-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Well as it stands, according to bet365's odds, we're now 4th favourite to get promoted, and 1st favourite to reach the playoffs - with Leicester and QPR still being favourite. Wish I'd have put 20 on us at the start of the season!

claret78
06-01-2014, 08:37 PM
It reminds me a lot of the 2001/2 season.

Then we were leading the Championship at Xmas and still had three "big club" play off rivals from the West Midlands to play at home

This season we were top at Xmas and have three "big club" play off rivals (this time from the East Midlands) still to play at home.

Let's hope that history doesn't repeat itself and we beat Derby Leicester and Forest rather than losing to Wolves Birmingham and West Brom and missing out on the playoffs by one point.