PDA

View Full Version : How many of these Burnley players would you keep?

mkmel
06-01-2014, 05:57 PM
the following Burnley players have their contracts finishing in the Summer - Edgar, Stock, Stanislas, Treacy, Lafferty, Duff, O'Neill and Noble.

Which of these would you want Burnley to keep?

For me it would be Stanislas and Duff definites with possibles in Lafferty and Treacy.

MOD: See link for contract dates - view external link (http://www.clarets-mad.co.uk/sngl/ed33/current_squad_section/index.shtml)

Halffullclaret
06-01-2014, 06:00 PM
Definately Danny Lafferty .Mick Duff, Treacey and Stan othere could go

daveisaclaret
06-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Duff, maybe Treacy if he'd take a wage cut (assuming he's on a big wage, might be wrong mind). I don't know how good O'Neill is, though.

I'm a big Stan fan but I don't really see the point in keeping him.

I_Wood_Lovett
06-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Depends on which league we are in.

If promoted they could all go - (Mike Duff and Stan reluctantly)

If still in Championship - Stock, O'Neill and Noble could go.

burnley14
06-01-2014, 06:22 PM
Edgar, Stan and Duff

summitclaret
06-01-2014, 06:24 PM
I don't know enough about O'Neill so I can't comment on him. From the rest:-

If we go up all will go.

If we don't all bar Duff are likely to go and for me that is absolutely correct. This is a big opportunity to get about 4 new players and bring through some of our youngsters and save money.

army88
06-01-2014, 06:37 PM
Treacy for me and that's it ,( even that's with an element of doubt )

Duff been a good servant but time is nearly up---- unless he's kept as back up

Edgar won't play in his chosen position for us and certainly isn't a utility player so may as well go tbh .

Lafferty I'm really struggling with at minute, not quite good enough at this level.

Stock can't deliver more than 60 mins

Stanislas , biggest underachiever I've seen in a long time , has it in his locker but flatters to deceive .

Noble , haven't the knowledge on his game to be fair to him.

O Neil , the same as above

I can only assume that they aren't good enough or they would have featured at some point.

Jamb0MackemClaret
06-01-2014, 06:49 PM
Duff for a year regardless of what league we're in, especially if he wants to do some coaching. His experience is *****. Stanislas, mmm, I'd keep him but Dyche seems reluctant to use him so may as well let him go. I like Lafferty but no point keeping backup full-backs so him and O'Neill can go, retain Edgar as utility cover, let Stock go. Send Treacy as far away as possible.

fungus_the_bogeyman
06-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Can't believe anyone would even consider keeping Treacy. Contributed the square root of f'all since he's been here.

Duff (gets a deal for me regardless of which league we're in. Terrific servant and still a ***** part of our team.)
Stanislas (I'd keep him, but I doubt SD will.)
Edgar (possibly as versatile cover if we're still in the Championship.)

ColdPieWarmBeer
06-01-2014, 07:18 PM
At least with Wallace, you usually know what player is going to turn up, even if he isn't the best winger we have, so for that reason alone I can see Stan and Treacy going. He'll likely be ahead of them in the pecking order. I'd personally keep Stan-I think he does alright in his sub appearances. Got as assist from a corner t'other day-not the first time he's done that this season.

Duff has been a mainstay in one of the best defences in the league. No brainer, regardless of where we're playing.

Stock, Edgar can go. Never seen O'Neill play (five minute sub last game of last season doesn't count), same for Noble (although he's not even getting on the bench despite having no other stikers so I assume he's not good enough). Lafferty a funny one. He's alright as back-up to Mee, but we're lumbered with Mills as back up, too. If we could get rid of Mills' wage, probably worth keeping Lafferty.

All depends where we're playing though, tbh.

enola_gay
06-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Pretty much agree with Jamb0MackemClaret, except I'm not as sold on Duff getting another year regardless and I think Stanislas might take the keep/discard option out of the club's hands, especially if he ends up behind Wallace in the pecking order.

NickBFC
06-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Doesn't massively depend on which division we're in for me. If we're promoted we'll still need depth to the squad and the likes of Lafferty are competent back ups.

Keep (either division) Stanislas, Duff as a back up but only if cheap, Lafferty as a back up.

Release Edgar, Stock, Treacy, O'Neill and Noble.

Noble obviously isn't good enough, O'Neill unproven but looks like he'll end up in L1/L2. Edgar, Treacy and Stock should move on to give Sean some wiggle room in bringing his own players in. All three haven't really played enough to warrant keeping on reasonably high wages.

Grogmir
06-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Promoted - None
Not - Duff and maybe Lafferty.

ColdPieWarmBeer
06-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Bartley will be gone, too. He's only two years younger than Jones and Marney. He ain't gonna' get any better now.

NumptyWatch
06-01-2014, 08:27 PM
The acid test is:
Which if any would you suppose now or in the future has the ability to hold or win a place in the first team?
My answer would be, unless Treacey has an impressive period between now and the season end,definitely only one - Michael Duff.

SD will release the rest and replace with a mixture of new signings and existing development squad players regardless of the division we are playing in.

Darthlaw
06-01-2014, 08:50 PM
If we're in the Prem, I'd keep Duff as backup and experience for the squad.

If we're still in the Championship I'd keep Duff and Treacy. Lafferty too if his contract is reasonable.

Stanislas is far too inconsistent and couldn't muscle his way out of a paper bag.

Stock is no use as he struggles through 45 minutes now.

I don't understand what Edgars position is. He can't pass and he's liable to a cockup per game which we can't really afford. We've no room for unreliable defenders or immobile midfielders with shocking distribution.

I've only seen O'Neill play once but the fact he hasn't made any kind of impact on the first team suggests he's not up to championship football.

If Noble can't get on the bench when we have no alternatives, you really have to question his quality. Has the ability but not the attitude according to some.

The Bankmanager
06-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Just three but only one played saturday.

Jakubclaret
06-01-2014, 11:35 PM
All of them if replacements arent forthcoming obviously in a higher league review it then & that being the case it would vary dramatically its difficult to pick because if injurys happen god forbid & certain players step in & make massive contributions towards the goal that is the PL surely the case could be argued that they,ve justified the cause. A sentimental line i know & stacked up with ifs & buts lets hope we could be faced with that dilemma.

The Bedlington Terrier
07-01-2014, 08:48 AM
Duff to allow him to get into coaching and bring on the youngsters and we need to show loyalty to a wonderful servant of our club.
Lafferty is useful and the rest can go. Pity we can't cash in on Edgar, Treacy, Stanislas and Stock now, or can we?

down_rover
07-01-2014, 10:09 AM
Duff would be an asset if he can stand up to another season, best judged at the end of the season.

Would consider Lafferty and Treacy if terms were right.

Rest can go

ClaretTony2014
07-01-2014, 10:51 AM
I'd consider new deals for Duff & Treacy. I can't comment too much on O'Neill because I've hardly seen him but with Trippier plus the emergence of Dummigan then I'd be reluctant to offer an extension.

The others - Lafferty, Stanislas, Edgar, Bartley and Stock - I'd let go at the end of the season.

bfcbrom
07-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Same as most on here, it depends on which division we're in next season.

Prem - I would imagine only Heaton, Trippier, Ings, Vokes, Jones, Marney, Mee and maybe Kightly would stay.

Championship - O'Neil, Bartley, Stock, Noble, Edgar, and Mills would probably be released or sold (if possible). Duff? What a player a player he has been for us, but it depends if we can squeeze another season out of him.

Treacy still has a lot to prove but he can be class. If he can get fitter and work harder then we have one hell of a player. How long do we give him though?

leedsdave
07-01-2014, 04:20 PM
"Treacy still has a lot to prove but he can be class. If he can get fitter and work harder then we have one hell of a player. How long do we give him though?"

I personally think we have already given him long enough bfcbrom. Time to move on for me.

bfcbrom
07-01-2014, 05:07 PM
I fully understand fans not being happy with Treacy. I was on that infamous game against Plymouth when he wouldn't run a yard for a ball and got hauled off by Eddie at half time to a chorus of boos never to be picked again by him.

But he can play and I remember him tearing us a new one playing for Preston. If only he could reproduce that sort of form. He's young enough.

taio
07-01-2014, 05:13 PM
About Treacey, it's not a great reflection on his time with us that some people still have to refer to his performance against us when he was saying for PNE.

enola_gay
07-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Never mind fluoride in the water, for people to be seriously considering a new deal for Treacy suggests United Utilities should stop putting LSD in it.

A firm handshake and meaningful goodbye is all that's required there.

claretnorthwest14
07-01-2014, 06:18 PM
I reckon that particular handshake is reserved for Stanislas.

fungus_the_bogeyman
07-01-2014, 07:43 PM
Stanislas has contributed far more than Treacy in his time here and arguably has been given far less of a chance. The guy has class and would show it more readily with a string of games.

Treacy promises much and seemingly lures everyone in with a decent cameo about once every six months. The rest of the time he delivers nothing. Absolutely nothing.

LancasterClaret
07-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Some of those above will be moved on in this window if at all possible I'd have thought.

wherewasi
07-01-2014, 11:11 PM
Regardless of which division, Lafferty and Duff. I can't comment on O'Neill or Noble.

LincolnClaret
08-01-2014, 08:31 AM
How many of Edgar, Stock, Stanislas, Treacy, Lafferty, Duff, O'Neill and Noble would you expect to be involved with the first team squad next season?

I wouldn't lose any sleep if all these guys left.

I like Duff but he's getting too old; retirement is one injury away.

Lafferty is ok but we don't need him and Mills as back up to Mee.

Stan and Treacy haven't really shown enough consistency to be awarded with new contracts (maybe a tad harsh on Stan but would we really miss him?).

Stock and Edgar are both limited players who we wouldn't really miss.

The other two are young lads with no first team experience.

Given SD's transfer dealings last summer (Heaton, Jones and Arfield on free's) I'd suggest that releasing a few of them would represent an opportunity for SD to improve the squad by bringing in his type of player.