PDA

View Full Version : Rovers in the playoffs

Claret_Dave84
06-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Been thinking about this recently, if we ended up dropping into the playoff places & Rovers made it, how would the police cope with this if we met at Wembley in the final?

claret78
06-01-2014, 07:11 PM
Quite easily because The Met aren't a load of amateurish money grabbing blokes on a power trip.

gawthorpeview
06-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Doesn't bear even thinking about.

Dear god Noooooooooooooooooooooooo.

summitclaret
06-01-2014, 07:17 PM
If it a semi expect no away fans allowed. No possible way to arrange the usual with days' notice.

Claret_Dave84
06-01-2014, 07:17 PM
I was thinking more the travel arrangements for both clubs. Would get heated on the motorway service station's I would imagine.

buxtonclaret
06-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Qualify that one, Gawthorpe.
The Met police or
stuffing the chicken farmers at Wembley?

taio
06-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Rovers won't reach play offs.

In any case, I understand plans are already in place should the scenario arise.

Burnley fans, irrespective of where they live, will have to meet at Turf Moor, catch a coach to Hull, set sail on the north sea to Dover and then be convoyed into Wembley from the east side of London.

Rovers fans, irrespective of where they live, will have to meet at Ewood, catch a coach to Liverpool, set sail on the Irish sea to Portsmouth and then be convoyed into Wembley from the west side of London.

All supporters will be required to set off 20 hours before kick-off.

claretspice
06-01-2014, 07:33 PM
I suspect you've just put your finger on that plod's worst nightmare.

Semi finals would both be night games as well. They'd not get away with a ban on away fans, and it wouldn't be possible to arrange the convoy in time - so it's probably the only scenario in which supporters will get a chance to be treated like human beings.

Final would be someone else's problem from the minute the coaches got beyond Charnock Richard services, although . Wouldn't count on any boozers between Skipton and Preston being open that day.

thewellernut70
06-01-2014, 08:17 PM
It's written in the stars I tell ya

Burnley will end the 34 year wait,or what ever it is, by beating Wovers,putting them in administration and into a terminal rapid decline B)

As for any trouble,I wouldn't worry too much about that as we will have close on 40000 supporters down there and Wovers will probably be lucky to take 15000 ;D

tonymorleysbaldhead
06-01-2014, 08:18 PM
'Rovers in the playoffs'...

There's more chance of me getting into Kelly Brook's knickers.

UTC NNN.

The Bedlington Terrier
07-01-2014, 09:22 AM
Kelly Brook's knickers...now there's a thought!

evensteadiereddie
07-01-2014, 09:36 AM
You mean you too haven't been in her knickers, tony ? I was beginning to think it was just me...:blue:

nil_desperandum
"'Rovers in the playoffs'...

There's more chance of me getting into Kelly Brook's knickers."

Well ... The good news for you then, is that from Rovers current league position they have a good chance of making the playoffs if they keep Rhodes.
They still have a good squad, and under Bowyer they seem more stable and consistent than for a long time. If it hadn't been for two very bad results at home over Christmas they would be on 39 points now in 6th place - 3 clear of Ipswich.
My fear for a number of weeks has been that we would drop to 3rd on the last day of the season and that that they would sneak into 6th spot.

IanMcL
Kelly Brooks knickers...soumnds
Like a two leg affair - must be the semis!

ptangyangkipperbang
07-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Just as a matter of intrest in the history of the play offs have any fierce rivals played one another? and Stockport dosent count

Patey
07-01-2014, 10:26 AM
What a match to beat Rovers for the first time in thirty five years. :)

That would shut them up.

mickleover_claret
07-01-2014, 11:21 AM
" If it hadn't been for two very bad results at home over Christmas they would be on 39 points now in 6th place - 3 clear of Ipswich."

If it wasn't for all the games they've lost and drawn this year, Rovers would be miles clear at the top. This is why they won't make the top 6, though- they'll get the odd decent result, like winning at Leeds, but they can't put a run together because they'll end up getting ****ted by the likes of Brummigum at home.

Considering 2 of the playoff spots are already taken by 2 of the current top 4, and Forest look a good bet for another one, it leaves Rovers battling with Ipswich, Leeds, Reading, Brighton, Wigan and potentially even Middlesbrough and Watford for the other playoff place. They simply don't have the consistency or the quality (Rhodes apart) to do it.

Jamb0MackemClaret
07-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Losing a play-off final would be bad enough. Imagine if it was to that lot. Don't want to think about it.

NottsClaret
07-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Man Utd played Man City at Wembley and the Met coped just fine. As they have with the Sheffield derby played down there, various Liverpool / Manchester games and several London derbies.

As said above, itís only a problem up here because Lancs police are such incompetent drama queens about what is now a fairly run of the mill fixture.

Anyway, we're going straight up.

nil_desperandum
07-01-2014, 11:55 AM
"it leaves Rovers battling with Ipswich, Leeds, Reading, Brighton, Wigan and potentially even Middlesbrough and Watford for the other playoff place. They simply don't have the consistency or the quality (Rhodes apart) to do it."

The reason the above listed are currently challenging for, but not yet in the top 6, is that as yet they haven't achieved consistency. It will be those from amongst that group who have a consistent 2014 who make it. None of the others have Rhodes, and (IMO) the Rovers squad is as strong as the majority of those mentioned. Absolutely no reason to right them off at this stage.
(Incidentally I dislike the idea of them doing well as much as anyone here. I'm just looking at squad strength, statistics, etc.)

mickleover_claret
07-01-2014, 12:12 PM
Agree that Leeds and Reading are equally inconsistent, and Ipswich to a lesser extent (although IMO have the best manager of any of the playoff chasers, someone who is really good at grinding out points and putting runs together).

Brighton, Wigan, Watford and Boro will be different propositions this year, though. Brighton have come through some tough injury problems and in Ulloa they have a fella who's capable of scoring at a very decent rate at this level (actually, come to think of it, Leeds have McCormack who's managed more goals than Rhodes this season). Wigan, Watford and Boro have all got new managers and all of them (particularly Rosler) seem to be breathing new life into underperforming squads. The fella at Watford has had a couple of new Italians, too.

Agree that Bowyer is doing a decent job and is a safe pair of hands at Ewood but unless he can improve on the squad (and it would be suicidal of Rovers to spend any more money at this stage, with the last playoff place a fair

nil_desperandum
07-01-2014, 12:23 PM
Fair enough points Mickleover. We shall just have to see how it pans out.
I can definitely see Wigan being there or there abouts, and as I've said it would be unwise to disregard the possibility that Blackburn could get some late momentum.

mickleover_claret
07-01-2014, 12:33 PM
To be fair, if any board is daft enough to try and fund a play off push at this stage, it's the Venky's! Cairney seems like a good player with resale value but I was really surprised they were prepared to spend money on Gestede after one goal.