PDA

View Full Version : Border Bookshop Tod and Victor

davet
06-01-2014, 10:39 PM
Very saddened and stunned by the news that Victor who ran the Border Bookshop in Todmorden died on New Year's Day.
Its a bookshop that seems to have been there forever and I lost count of the number of times I called when passing through Tod, buying books and browsing.
Victor followed Burnley for over 50 years and stocked all the Burnley books.
I never got tired of looking through the hundreds of new and used football books he had in there.
Whenever I started a new book it was the first place I visited to look for reference material.
Condolences to Carole, Richard and Tom

Rowls
06-01-2014, 10:44 PM
That's terrible news. Very sad.

I didn't know Victor but I presume he's the man who I chatted to about the Clarets on several occasions in there.

That bookshop was the best in the world bar none.

I'd like to echo my condolences to the family and say thank you for what he offered in that shop.

Ashingtonclaret46
06-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Sorry to hear about this.
He used to ring me at my shop in Newcastle to say that he had bought some books which may be of interest and either Frank or myself used to call in on our travels and he was most welcoming and knew his stuff.
Condolences to his family.

Peter_Nobles_Wig
06-01-2014, 10:49 PM
A Claret of long standing.

He will be sadly missed.

R.I.P. Victor

Carole, Tom and Richard our hearts go out to you at this sad time

Ric_C
06-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Hi everyone, it's Richard, Victor's son here. First of all, thank you Dave for putting this on the message board. My dad often talked about you when we chatted about Burnley books.

Also thank you everyone for your kind words. He would have especially liked the "That bookshop was the best in the world bar none" statement!

It was indeed a shock to us all, it was pretty sudden, but by the time the Ambulance came, there was nothing they could do.

He took me to my first match during the "Orient" season believe it or not, and the next season was my first season ticket with him. We've been watching Burnley for over 25 years and have both been on an epic journey together. It's going to be a strange day for me when we play on the 18th.

For now me and Tom are just concentrating on being there for my mum Carole. My dad loved her dearly and we all still can't believe he's gone.

If anyone knew my dad who would like to go to the funeral, the details are below:

Dads funeral will be held on Mon

todclaret
06-01-2014, 11:47 PM
I'll always remember Victor for recognising me and stopping to give me a lift to Saltergate as I hiked up the hill from Chesterfield station. Think it was for an FA Cup tie in 1985, we drew 2-2 (Kevin Reeves & Billy Hamilton scored).

It isn't so much a bookshop as a TARDIS, with seeming endless rooms to browse through. And just when you though you'd looked around the last one there was another!

Sincere condolences.

zumerzet_claret
07-01-2014, 12:01 AM
Very sad news indeed.
My Grandad first took me in there in the 80`s and I have visited many times since. It was always a pleasure to talk to your Dad.

Rest in peace.

stacky_claret
07-01-2014, 12:17 AM
Condolences to the family
R.I.P.

guitargeorge
07-01-2014, 08:36 AM
I love book shops in general but particularly enjoyed browsing in this one. I remember walking in one Saturday afternoon when Burnley were playing somewhere distant, and the commentary was on the radio. We had a good chat about the Clarets, I bought what I had gone in for and left with my wares.
My condolences to the family, a sad loss

rammymike
07-01-2014, 08:38 AM
RIP Victor.

I did not know you personally, but have fond memories of the shop and a collection of old Wisden's and News of the World Football Annuals bought from the shop over the years.

A true gem of an establishment that has survived the Internet, Amazon, eBay etc.

You must have been doing something right young man, rest in peace.

UTC.

ClaretTony2014
07-01-2014, 11:42 AM
Just seen the thread and firstly it is very sad news to hear of the passing of another Claret.

It's some time since I visited the bookshop but it was always an enjoyable experience and Victor helped me replenish by collection of Burnley books after I'd not had one returned. I'll forever be grateful for that and the times I spent chatting Burnley FC in there.

My condolences to Richard, who has posted on this thread, and all of Victor's family.

Ric_C
07-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Thanks Tony. Just to let everyone know who used to frequent the shop, it will be open again on Jan 18th. I'm sure my mum would welcome the opportunity to chat about my dad.

Peter_Nobles_Wig
12-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the update Rick.

Difficult times.

Thinking of you all.

Ric_C
12-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Thank you for your kind words.

Just to let you know the shop is re-opening on the 16th not the 18th. The edit wouldn't work for me when I tried it.

RogerBest
12-01-2014, 01:03 PM
I have only just seen this thread.

I am very sorry to hear this news.

I really got into football when I was a boy in the late 80s/ early 90s. I used to stretch my pocket money further by buying cheaper old football monthly magazines from upstairs in the Border Bookshop rather than current magazines from Cryer's.

Whenever I am back in Tod I go to the Border Bookshop as it has the best local (particularly sport) section available. It is an important part of the community and plays an essential role in helping people to understand the history of a significant part of the world.

I wish the family all the best for the future.