PDA

View Full Version : Walcott out of World Cup

ColinBlacklabel
07-01-2014, 09:10 AM
Apparently out for 6 months therefore out for the rest of the season and the World Cup in Brazil.

Whilst I wouldn't have put him ahead of Townsend on the right, I was hoping he'd have been challenging for a centre forward spot.

A shame and already an England player out of the tournament.

BrunLea
07-01-2014, 09:17 AM
That's OK, the rest of the squad will follow him in pretty short order.

joe14
07-01-2014, 12:50 PM
With Walcott- England go out in group stages.
Without Walcott- England go out in group stages.

Subbuteo07
07-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Call up for Danny Ings? ;D

pstotto
07-01-2014, 01:17 PM
This is tragic, one of our more gifted players who have a genuinely creative attacking remit that can produce the astonishing and unexpected attacking moment,resulting in some spectacular goals, passes etc.

Rick_Muller
07-01-2014, 01:30 PM
"This is tragic, one of our more gifted players who have a genuinely creative attacking remit that can produce the astonishing and unexpected attacking moment,resulting in some spectacular goals, passes etc."

...will now have a chance to go to Brazil and come home early because of the injury to Walcott - good luck Jay Rod ;)

ColinBlacklabel
07-01-2014, 01:53 PM
'This is tragic, one of our more gifted players who have a genuinely creative attacking remit that can produce the astonishing and unexpected attacking moment,resulting in some spectacular goals, passes etc.'

Against better International teams Walcott is often ineffective on the wing, which is where I imagine Roy would have played him, had he gone. He plays as part of a forward front 3 for Arsenal which is why he's often played better for club than he has for country.

I think he'll be a much bigger loss for Arsenal than he will be for England.

Jamb0MackemClaret
07-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Would have definitely been in the team for me so a real blow. We'll struggle to stretch teams on the break without a player like Walcott.

Comparing him to Townsend is silly really, they're in a totally different class.

ColinBlacklabel
07-01-2014, 02:08 PM
'Comparing him to Townsend is silly really, they're in a totally different class'

Go on, I'll bite :D

How are they in a different class? And who's in the upper class of the 2, for England?

Jamb0MackemClaret
07-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Theo Walcott scored 21 goals last season. Andros Townsend has 12 in his whole career. Townsend this season, one goal and one assist. Walcott scored five goals in a couple of weeks before getting injured. There's no comparison to be made between them whatsoever, even if Townsend sporadically looked good for England while Walcott was out.

Walcott is one of these players who took a long, long time to fulfil their potential and folk haven't quite caught up to the fact he's excellent now. Check out the link. As effective as Mata, Cazorla, Hazard, Rooney etc last season.

He's top class. - view external link (http://www.myfootballfacts.com/premier_league_combined_2012-13.html)

ColinBlacklabel
07-01-2014, 02:19 PM
I've certainly caught up to the fact he's in excellent form. But I also know that Townsend has been better for England than Walcott has.

As we're talking about the World Cup, you can hardly call them in a different class as Walcott hasn't been as good.

Rick_Muller
07-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Jambo - check out the current link - he's no Jay Rod is he...??? and Jay Rod has Rooney, Sturridge and Lambert ahead of him who are English...

stats can prove anything you want them too... - view external link (http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Premier_League_Combined_2013-14.html)

Halffullclaret
07-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Good news for Jay he must be favourite for a spot.Far more consistent than Townsend,Oxlaide- Chamberlain and Ashely Young. Its a shame the muppets on Sky cant see further than Spurs.Man U or Arsenal for replacements.Hopefully Roy has more about him and picks form players not media darlings of dubious talent.Personally I would select Jay above Danny Welbeck, who has a first touch of a man in wellies, but I suspect his place in nailed on because of his Man U status

Jamb0MackemClaret
07-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Walcott's been injured for most of the season so hardly comparable to someone like Jay who's played almost every game. When you consider how much football he's missed, to be still around the likes of Silva, Navas and Welbeck who play most weeks is excellent going. Yes stats can be twisted, but Walcott's performance for the last couple of years are really, really good.

Townsend's played four times for England (because Walcott was injured remember) and while he played very well against Montenegro and scored a belter, I don't think he's been particularly outstanding in the other three games, two of which we lost without scoring a goal. Certainly hasn't put a performance in like Walcott did in Croatia with his hat-trick. Also reckon Townsend has been found out a bit in the Premier League after initially breaking through this season. He doesn't offer the goal threat Walcott does, he always has to cut inside because he's so one-footed, he's not as quick, his final ball isn't as good - I str

ColinBlacklabel
07-01-2014, 03:24 PM
'Certainly hasn't put a performance in like Walcott did in Croatia with his hat-trick' - Which was over 5 years ago.

'I struggle to see why anyone would rate Townsend higher really' - Then I guess it's a pointless debate if you don't even see that.

Don't get me wrong, I think Walcott as a front 3 is excellent, but to say he's in a different class, when we were talking England & World Cup is just a head shaker. You say Townsend has been found out - Walcott has been kept quiet in pretty much every England game he's played in, in the last 5 years.

I'd put Townsend ahead of Walcott as a right sided midfielder for England, if both were available.

PaytonJames
07-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Couldnt give a toss about England, neither could most of the England team. Been a total irrelevance since Eurom96.

Rick_Muller
07-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Hook line and sinker Jambo... ;)

I agree about Walcott, he will be missed and he is a great talent who has developed well over the past couple of seasons, just yanking your chain my friend :)

The Bedlington Terrier
07-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Didn't our Steve Davies recover from one of these injuries and subsequent surgery and resume playing within six weeks?