PDA

View Full Version : Policing of Football

Joey_45
07-01-2014, 05:56 PM
There have been quite a few threads on here in the past about the police having far too much influence on football, in terms of kick-off times, alcohol etc, so I thought this might be of interest. Newcastle and Sunderland release a joint statement telling Northumbria Police where to go:

[quote]Newcastle United and Sunderland AFC are surprised and disappointed with the statement issued yesterday by Northumbria Police in which the force claims that the police cannot direct changes to kick-off times for the clubs' fixtures, referring in particular to the derby games.

Over a number of years both clubs have made repeated representations to Northumbria Police to try and reach agreement over kick-off times to enable a traditional 3pm kick-off or later to enable broadcasters to give the game consideration in the majority of their time slots for live coverage.

Police forces up and down the country have been able to police high-profile derby matches for years, including most recently the fir

Lagosred
07-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Looks like your coppers dinna like the teams mentioned bud and are making it as difficult as possible, is the chief constable fae middlesburgh :)

WestCoastDon
07-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Great spot. Good on the clubs.

So surprised at this... Police lying. Whatever next? Bias media, corrupt SFA, criminals in charge of sevco?

O_Kahn
07-01-2014, 06:17 PM
It's a cracker of a statement. If I was the PR chap that wrote it I'd be careful not to do 35mph in a 30 zone any time soon, as the cops will have him down the station sharpish for an internal search.

Symptomatic of a general decline in trust for senior policemen in this country.

[img] http://tinyurl.com/on5ajdm

capitalred
07-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Great statement, GIRFUY coppers

05car
07-01-2014, 08:22 PM
was it not after the derby last year that the newcastle fan punched a police horse...

also let's look deeper at the statement

we want to be on tv

the clubs aren't thinking of the fans but the tv exposure - toys prams

theoninedog
07-01-2014, 08:26 PM
was it not after the derby last year that the newcastle fan punched a police horse...

we want to be on tv

Exactly - Meat heads that canna behave themselves properly, with a drink in them.

I'm with the police on this one

RedStarTorphins
07-01-2014, 08:31 PM
It's a cracker of a statement. If I was the PR chap that wrote it I'd be careful not to do 35mph in a 30 zone any time soon, as the cops will have him down the station sharpish for an internal search.

Symptomatic of a general decline in trust for senior policemen in this country.

[img] http://tinyurl.com/on5ajdm

The word decline suggests it's getting worse...

Can it get worse than a police force (in conjunction with other "authorities") in the 1980's manufacturing stories, removing evidence, tampering with witness statements, lying to the press etc about a football disaster that was in the main down to their own incompetence?

They were more bent back in the day than they are now.

Full of Gene Hunt's...and I mean that in the character sense and rhyming slang sense.

actonsheep
07-01-2014, 08:35 PM

we want to be on tv

There isn't really any need to look deeper to find the clubs motive. The police said something that wasn't true. The club have called them out on it.

Also guessing you missed...

...enable a traditional 3pm kick-off...

...their confirmation to the Premier League in writing in January 2013 that the force would not support derby matches with kick-off times later than 1:30pm.

As a fan, I'd be delighted to have a derby at a traditional 3pm on a Saturday.

If you do want to look deeper, then I'd suggest the place to look is at the Police who've been untruthful in the first place. Its not the first time recently, its a potentially worrying trend.

05car
07-01-2014, 08:47 PM

we want to be on tv

There isn't really any need to look deeper to find the clubs motive. The police said something that wasn't true. The club have called them out on it.

Also guessing you missed...

...enable a traditional 3pm kick-off...

...their confirmation to the Premier League in writing in January 2013 that the force would not support derby matches with kick-off times later than 1:30pm.

As a fan, I'd be delighted to have a derby at a traditional 3pm on a Saturday.

If you do want to look deeper, then I'd suggest the place to look is at the Police who've been untruthful in the first place. Its not the first time recently, its a potentially worryi

WestCoastDon
07-01-2014, 08:52 PM
The point is that the police have said something that is not truthful - okay. Not like football clubs are paragons of virtue.

In a civilised country trust in the police is paramount as they enforce the law.

For example, if it is your word against a police officers the court is likely to take the police officers word against yours.

What the clubs or the fans want is beside the point. The integrity of the police is being questioned by not one but two clubs.

kkong
07-01-2014, 08:57 PM
If you do want to look deeper, then I'd suggest the place to look is at the Police who've been untruthful in the first place.

It's typical PR from the police. What they have said is not untrue, but neither is it the whole story.

They have said they cannot tell what clubs what time to kick off - and this is true.

What they have not said is they can effectively tell the clubs what times they cannot kick off, by refusing to police a game scheduled for a time which they don't like.

ObanRed
07-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Great spot. Good on the clubs.

So surprised at this... Police lying. Whatever next? Bias media, corrupt SFA, criminals in charge of sevco?

What? You mean our sporting utopia is under threat? Next we will hear talk of armaggedon