PDA

View Full Version : Five a Side

crundale
08-01-2014, 07:50 AM
I was talked into playing five a side the other evening by work colleagues, mainly to make up the numbers and didn't it show. Utterly woeful and nearly had a heart attack. Brought back memories of playing regularly at the Thompson Centre in the seventies with my mates from St Ted's. There was an team around at that time who were pretty much unbeatable - I think they went by the Unit Five and perhaps were mostly Barden School lads. One guy, blond hair, you could not get the ball off him. Anyone else remember them?

claretblue
08-01-2014, 09:29 AM
'...One guy, blond hair, you could not get the ball off him...'

Ray Pointer?

:D

billyhamilton82
08-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Unit 5 were a great team. If I remember correctly Unit 5 also had a team in the junior league I played in on Saturday nights at Tommy Centre and they swept all before them along with St Teds.

Was it Keith Blackburn (Blacky) that you remember? I could never get the ball off him either and that was in his later years playing for another great team in Moresport.

Some fantastic local players played in that league and in the late eighties some of them represented England in the Futsal World Cup in Australia. The England team was picked only from players who played in the Thompson Centre league.

longsidespike
08-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Just been roped int 5-a-side myself tonight at Crow Wood, dusting the old rubbers off (as long as Mrs Spike hasnt thrown them) I may let you know how i go on. If i am able ;D

Tommy Center league was a great 5-a-side comp i played most of the 90s. some great keepers..