PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cairney and Rudy Gestede

JIMMYTHEMILK
08-01-2014, 12:42 PM
By common consent it seems that we are in need of a central midfield player and a striker.
Rovers have signed these 2 players for a combined fee reported to be ?800,000. Two players who would have solved our frailties, no massive financial outlay, with possible profit on future sales, and no doubt comfortably fitted into our wage structure whilst adding quality and competition to our promotion push.
Can't help feeling that Rovers have got one up on us with these two.

cockneyclaret
08-01-2014, 01:37 PM
And they say we are broke!!!
Didnt think wovers had a bucket to **** in let only fork out on players

evensteadiereddie
08-01-2014, 01:41 PM
Only another six or seven players to go and they'll almost be as good as us...

claretspice
08-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Not seen much of Gestede, but from what I've seen of Cairney, whilst he's a very good, cultured player he's not exactly what we need - he's quite similar to Jones without the same dynamism in pressing the ball. And he probably wouldn't come to us to be an understudy to Jones (and nor can we afford for someone to just be that). If we're looking to upgrade either central midfielder in January I'd have thought it would be Marney but in truth I'd expect anyone who came in in that position to be someone capable of deputising for either but who was happy to accept they wouldn't be an automatic pick.

My impression of Gestede from what I've read is that he's very similar to Vokes, without the mobility. Again, we're looking for a striker who can deputise for either Vokes or Ings and I'm not sure Gestede does that.

Rileybobs
08-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Not sure why we'd be looking to upgrade either of the first choice central midfielders. We could add depth to the midfield by upgrading on Stock/Edgar as third choice and add an extra option up front. If any position needs genuinely strengthening I'd imagine it's a wide player, although that's not going to happen unless we can offload one or two.

claretspice
08-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Agreed Rileybobs - the midfield is functioning fine, its a more appropriate back-up capable of deputising for either of Jones or Marney that we could do with.

My point was that the last player we'd be looking to upgrade would probably be Jones, who in my view has been our stand out player this season, including the two forwards.

JIMMYTHEMILK
08-01-2014, 02:56 PM
If you're only going to spend on perhaps 2 players a season then I can't see the point in purchasing players because they are crapper than what we alrady have. We are only going to move forward by improving the competition for 1st team places not by spending on lesser players in case someone gets injured.

claretspice
08-01-2014, 03:28 PM
I agree with you - but you are answering your own question.

Cairney is an inferior version of David Jones and Gestede is an inferior version of Sam Vokes. Which is probably a good reason why we weren't fussed about bidding for them and are looking elsewhere.

If we're bringing in a central midfielder I'd like it to be another young midfielder who, along with Steven Hewitt, can challenge and hopefully in time displace Marney and Jones, but we don't need and probably can't afford the outlay required to bring in players who are better versions of either and also suit our system.

ClaretMatt4
08-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Surely they paid more than that for the pair of them? Maybe it was 800k upfront with the next 3million coming when they sell enough eggs and chicken legs to cover it.

Jamb0MackemClaret
08-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Cairney is alright but Gestede is babba.