PDA

View Full Version : US Big Freeze

mkmel
08-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Just been looking at the tv coverage of the awful big freeze in the USA and wondering if there's any sign of an improvement?

How are you guys who live in the US coping with such extreme weather conditions?

FCBurnley
08-01-2014, 02:38 PM
Yesterday we got down to 33F in Orlando, with wind chill it was more like 20F. This morning it is 40F and due to rise to mid sixties. By weekkend we will be back into the 80`s. Cant speak for the rest of The States but I read that a place called Hell froze over and an escaped prisoner in Kentucky gave him self up because he was cold !!

braindead
08-01-2014, 02:47 PM
This is the most impressive thing I have seen with regards to the big freeze in America. - view external link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCrrJs2areo)

ClevelandBrown
08-01-2014, 03:17 PM
-12oC here in NYC, -20o with windchill.

not fun.

mkmel
08-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Someone has just said that Polar Bears in a zoo somewhere in the US have had to be taken inside as it is too cold for them.

Apparently the Polar Bears won't eat when the temperature is too low.

waldronrules
08-01-2014, 03:37 PM
-17 F in Michigan yesterday with a wind chill of -40 F. Today we are a balmy 4 F with wind chill of -10 f. Expecting rain over the weekend as temps climb above freezing.
The summers are great though!!

PHILADELPHIACHRIS
08-01-2014, 03:49 PM
We got down to -5F with a wind chill of -20F. The worst seems to be over now,currently 12F.Hard to keep warm in that,basically keep wrapped up and
keep indoors!

WestTorontoClaret
08-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Monday night and yesterday had the horrific Arctic wind that we get at least three or four times a year.
I call it the ...king hell wind.
Much worse North and West of here though.

OneNilWade
08-01-2014, 04:19 PM
i blame it on car exhausts...;)

robbo0
08-01-2014, 04:23 PM
not been to bad in Houston compared to rest, we were down to 25F and wind chill made it seem lower, 20 paces from car to office and that was about the extent of what I personally experienced :)

Heating on which is very unusual here and for first time in years we used hot water bottles Monday and Tuesday nights. However my wife warmed things up when she came to bed later :D

This was unfortunately only body heat, why the hell do women generate so much? woke up early morning sweating and wondering what the hell was going on :?

claret_in_exile
08-01-2014, 05:52 PM
I live in deepest, darkest Pennsylvania and I have to say that this is inhumanely cold.

The air temperatures are the lowest Iíve seen since moving here seven years ago, but that wind chill is HORRENDOUS.

Things are so bad that a lot of power lines are cracking and rendering a lot of homes without power.

I went outside on Monday evening to start my car so I could heat the engine. I was out there for about 60 seconds and it took me 30 minutes to warm up when I came back inside Ė I felt pins and needles on exposed skin (my cheek).

Locally, the lowest temperature (including wind chill) hit -40F on Monday night. Oddly, this is the same as -40C.

It hurts and literally chills you to the bone. It is genuinely dangerous to be outside.

On the plus side, you can make snow/ice crystals by taking hot water and throwing it up and away from you. Thatís pretty neat.

GRAPIDIANCLARET
08-01-2014, 10:01 PM
Starting to warm up a little in West Michigan.
We got down to minus 9 fahrenheit, minus 35 with windchill.Hopefully can start my frozen works van tomorrow as it is going to be in the 20's maybe low 30's with the happy prospect of freezing rain.It will be too bloody hot in 5 months damn it!!!!

Where in Michigan are you Waldron?

Rowls
08-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Yet another example of global warming.

Keep warm US based Clarets! :)

BriscoCountyJr
08-01-2014, 10:26 PM
"Yet another example of global warming."

Helsinki, normally snowed in at -20oC this time of the year is currently at +5oC and raining.

troubleatmexico
08-01-2014, 10:50 PM
Atlanta now warmed up. Temperatures yesterday the lowest for over 20 years and a ton of school closed in the metro area,
(unfortunately not mine). Hopefully this will be the last of the low temperatures.

LancasterClaret
08-01-2014, 10:54 PM
This is the winter that fat Americans have been preparing for

Rowls
08-01-2014, 11:11 PM
You're on fire tonight Lancaster. XD

As for me, I only caught briscocountyjunior. What a poor haul. I can barely be bothered to chuck him back into the ever-warming ocean.

I'll catch him again though.

LancasterClaret
08-01-2014, 11:12 PM
Ha, I'm not going to claim that one as my own

GRAPIDIANCLARET
08-01-2014, 11:26 PM
You nearly had me too Rowls but my new years resolution had me regurgitate the crappy bait

GRAPIDIANCLARET
08-01-2014, 11:27 PM
No pun intended on the 'crappy' for any American freshwater anglers who see this

waldronrules
09-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Grapidianclaret - I am 40 miles outside of Detroit. Assume you are Grand Rapids.

Weather is tolerable here today - 20 degrees f and the snow pack is gleaming in the sun. The weekend we will be 40 f.

Only thing better is 3 points in the bag,

Notrigsbyscat
09-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Love Grand Rapids - I used to work for Steelcase (in the EMEA area). the B.O.B was my hunting ground. The accent, even my northern one went a long way

Sigh, those were the days

Notrigsbyscat
09-01-2014, 10:22 PM
here's a remarkable story just come to light:

The frantic actions of a Florida woman who became concerned when she hadn't heard from her truck driver husband ended up saving his life after he was pinned and frozen beneath his vehicle.

Tim Rutledge of Orlando, Fla., was on his way to Indiana to make a delivery Monday when he drove right into a snowstorm and his brakes froze.

In temperatures of 42 degrees below zero with the wind chill, Rutledge pulled over at a truck stop and got under his truck to fix the brakes. While Rutledge was on the ground, the truck shifted and trapped him underneath.

"It caught my left side and my left arm was pinned by the axle of the truck," Rutledge told an Indianapolis TV station. "I was yelling, but nobody could hear me."

Rutledge became stuck frozen to the pavement beneath him, unable to move for nearly eight hours.

Meanwhile, his wife, Lisa, home in Orlando, became concerned and began calling his cellphone frantically and relentlessly.

The vibrati

GRAPIDIANCLARET
10-01-2014, 03:06 AM
Still a little chilly in Grand Rapids.Van engine still frozen,looks like I will have to put a heater on it.

3 points on Saturday would be a winter warmer Waldron.

I used to enjoy the BOB too Rigsby in my single days.Lived a mile away from downtown for a few years,live 25 miles away now so do not make it down very often.

Beer City USA now with micro breweries popping up on every street.Too much hops in most of it for me but there are some very good brews.

When were you at Steelcase, I know a few people who work there.

Cajun
10-01-2014, 09:07 PM
A positively balmy 30f on the north east coast today now that the "polar vortex" has cleared off. Was so cold earlier in week i couldn't break any logs loose from frozen woodpile for the fire. Heating broke at work and I was at desk clad in BFC scarf and hat :D Sometimes I miss a bit of good old Lancashire drizzle.

mkmel
10-01-2014, 09:11 PM
"I was at desk clad in BFC scarf and hat"

Not JUST a hat and scarf I hope! :D