PDA

View Full Version : Best Burnley Performance Since the sixties ...

bfcjon
08-01-2014, 07:47 PM
The First half against Spurs, in the First leg,.okay we lost in the end, but that first half was Fantastic...

claretnorthwest14
08-01-2014, 07:51 PM
So many to choose from but Chelsea away will be up there.

Rowls
08-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Arsenal at home in the Premier League.

Unlike Man Utd (which was backs to the wall stuff for most of the game) we created plenty of chances against Arsenal and were the better team.

OK, so they outplayed us for the first 15 minutes until Fabregas went off injured and it was only 1-1 in the end.

But we did have a goal unfairly disallowed and I think we were denied a clear penalty too.

MrClaretandBlue
08-01-2014, 08:01 PM
"The First half against Spurs, in the First leg,.okay we lost in the end, but that first half was Fantastic..."

The 90 minutes in the second leg before extra time surpassed that by quite a distance for me.

I can't vouch for anything before 92 but Arsenal at home in the Prem, we were brilliant.

sexgod
08-01-2014, 08:08 PM
1st half against villa in the prem season,the most exciting performance I can remember

Quicknick
08-01-2014, 08:20 PM
All these replies are recent matches. The Burnley side of the first half of the 70s, starting in 1972 was better than what we've had since so I'm going with the complete demolition of the champions elect Leeds United at Elland Road late in the 1973-74 season. 4 blood y 1 !!

claretnorthwest14
08-01-2014, 08:24 PM
Arsenal is a good shout.

sexgod
08-01-2014, 08:39 PM
to be fair quick,folk can only comment on games they saw,and I would imagine a majority of this board won't remember pre 80's

Akinbadbye_20
08-01-2014, 09:00 PM
The second half of the 4-2 win against a top 4 spurs in the premier league was pretty special

royboyclaret
08-01-2014, 09:17 PM
Plenty to have a go at and many of them, oddly, involve Tottenham.

The first and probably the very best was the 4-4 at WHL when we were 4-0 down before half time in the early sixties.

Then the 4-1 win at WHL in the League Cup in '83 when Billy Hamilton ran them ragged.

Another was the second leg of the semi-final at TM in a sublime team performance topped off by the skill of Robbie for the the second goal which had Jimmy McIlroy written all over it.

Many more but Quicknick's pick of the 4-1 at Elland Road in '74 would be right up there with the very best.

gsyclaret
08-01-2014, 09:47 PM
Mine would be the 5 0 thumping of leeds at the turf when we blooded some younger players that included Kindon, Billy Bremner did not know what was going on. Also the 2 0 win at Blackburn where Ralf Coates sat on the ball because no one would come and tackle him, class.

Redbeard
08-01-2014, 09:54 PM
'Like' for post 6. :)

Quicknick
08-01-2014, 10:06 PM
gsyclaret, was the win at Ewood in 1965-66 (NY Day 66 to be precise) when Willie Morgan was sent off because I was there, aged 11? I vaguely remember someone sitting on the ball.

PS We won't talk about the result against them earlier in the season at the Turf!!:blue:

Quicknick
08-01-2014, 10:08 PM
By the way, thanks for the 'like,' Redbeard!!

down_rover
08-01-2014, 10:10 PM
3-2 win in seventies v spurs away for me

BriscoCountyJr
08-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Left-field choice, but the 2-1 win over Reading earlier this season was as complete an all-round performance as I've ever seen from a Burnley team.

longsidetrumpet
08-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Brisco, I've been watching since 1959, mostly on but sometimes off, and I've seen some crackers (the Team of the Seventies delivered quite a few), and in recent years the Spurs semi second leg.
But somehow, that Reading game you quote really moved me with the quality of performance. And I mean moved me. I actually felt quite emotional, fuelled by the honesty, endeavour and skill served up a real team performance, engineered by a manager who demonstrates those same qualities.

minniemouth
08-01-2014, 11:11 PM
QuickNick, it was Ralph Coates who sat on the ball and took the P!ss. They were doomed , even by New Years day and just wanted to kick us off the park. They went down we finished 3rd.

The thread does state since the 60s.
First home win against Chelsea in '73.Totally dominated to our own surprise but the goal was so long coming.
Reading 2nd leg playoff semis. 90 minute orgasm. I never thought that team could play that well.

ptangyangkipperbang
08-01-2014, 11:15 PM
The 5-0 drubbing of Northampton on our way to the 4th Div.title from the lower league times.And when we stuffed Newcastle 4-1 in 1974 revenge was sweet for me that day

bfcjon
08-01-2014, 11:19 PM
Yes minnie, forgot about the second leg at Reading,...

There have been a lot of good occasions ,..Chelsea also,,

Let us all hope there are plenty more to come..:)

ashtonlongsider
09-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Taking everything into account and the importance the 2nd leg at Reading would come out tops. However my favourite performance was when we beat West Ham 4-2 at TM around 1966. Willie Morgan ran Bobby Moore ragged and the scoreline doesn't reflect our superiority that day.

nil_desperandum
09-01-2014, 09:00 AM
We seem to have got off topic a bit.
Perhaps understandably because of the team we had, and my age at the time my greatest memories, are of the mid to late 60s.
My two best memories of the 60s would be the aforementioned 5-1 home win over Leeds when Coates sat on the ball, and a 1-0 win over Man Utd at home in 1968, a few months after they had won the European Cup. (O'Neill scored and Bellamy broke his arm). We also had terracing and massive gates which helped.
Back on topic - since the sixties it has to be the 4-1 victory at Elland Rd when Leeds were the team to beat , and also VERY dirty.

NottsClaret
09-01-2014, 09:23 AM
Can only comment on post 86 stuff. There’s a few memorable cup games to pick but there’s always that nagging doubt about was it their first XI, how much did it matter to them etc.

For that reason, I’ll go for a league game. A much depleted side winning at Sheff Utd in 2008 was great, blowing Cardiff away in the second half in ’92 on the way to the title and of course the Man Utd / Everton games early in the Prem must be up there.

But QPR at home this season is as good as any. Unlike some other games it wasn’t a backs to the wall, ride your luck performance. We outplayed and deservedly beat a very expensively assembled side.

Can’t believe anyone is suggesting Arsenal or Villa from the Prem season, everyone knows the ‘rot had set in’ and relegation was inevitable when those games were played.

ClaretTony2014
09-01-2014, 11:37 AM
A lot of mentions of more recent games but going back to the 70s.

Leeds (4-1) been mentioned but what about away wins at Spurs (3-2) and more so Wolves (2-0) that season?

And one for me is the 3-0 win at Coventry in 1974/75, and on Match of the Day.

BeverleyClaret
09-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Villa away in 1972/73. We and QPR were looking favourites for promotion but Villa were in third place and a win for them would have put them hot on our heels for a top two spot. It was predicted to be a tight game. Villa had home advantage. We completely outplayed them from start to finish and won 3-0. Dobo out of this world. Outstanding.

robbo0
09-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Yeovil away Sat 11 Jan 2014

ClaretTony2014
09-01-2014, 05:37 PM
"We completely outplayed them from start to finish and won 3-0. Dobo out of this world. Outstanding."

BeverleyClaret - check out the sentence just above the pic of Billy Ingham scoring at following link - view external link (http://www.clarets-mad.co.uk/feat/ed94/villa_win_gives_burnley_fantastic_start_to_1973_77 7769/index.shtml)

BeverleyClaret
09-01-2014, 06:28 PM
ClaretTony2014 - I have just read that article for the first time, and the report is exactly as I saw it. I travelled to the game on my own on various buses from Newark (Notts) as a 16 year old, and stood on my own in the open end opposite the Holte End. I can't remember many Burnley fans that day, but it wasn't a day to show your colours. We were brilliant. I was going to say that if there is any footage of the game I'd like to see it, but on second thoughts perhaps not. It might distort the memory.

minniemouth
09-01-2014, 06:44 PM
I can't remember many Burnley fans that day, but it wasn't a day to show your colours.

I wouldn't have worn claret and blue at Aston Villa either.

Claretabroad
09-01-2014, 06:55 PM
15 Dec 1992. FA cup 2nd replay away to Shrewsbury (and John Bond). Man sent off, one nil down and then a penalty given against us but we managed to come back and win the game. It wasn't the purest game in terms of footballing ability but if you measure "best" in terms of grit, determination and a refusal to lose it is right up there.

MrClaretandBlue
09-01-2014, 06:59 PM
"Cana€™t believe anyone is suggesting Arsenal or Villa from the Prem season, everyone knows the a€˜rot had set ina€™ and relegation was inevitable when those games were played."

Apart from the fact that is inaccurate, how is it relevant to the performance?

Quicknick
09-01-2014, 07:16 PM
gsy, small point but the big win versus Leeds at TM was actually 5-1. It was 2-1 at half time and I can remember thinking, 'I wish this was full time!' So glad it wasn't. :D

naypilky
09-01-2014, 07:49 PM
I agree with the 4-1 win at Leeds. I seem to remember that there was a film of it that was supposed to be a documentary about Don Revie-he wasn't very happy at the end of it!
Another memorable performance was coming from 4-0 down at Tottenham to draw 4-4. Bob Lord lost his trilby when he threw it in the air when we equalised!

royboyclaret
09-01-2014, 08:17 PM
naypilky...the 4-4 draw at Tottenham was my top Burnley game of all time.

Three days earlier we'd played in France against Reims in the 2nd leg of a European Cup match. Even though we lost 3-2 we won through on aggregate and returned to England the following day absolutely knackered. Even Harry Potts was carrying the bruises of a right battle.

So, onto WHL just a few hours later against the top side in the country and we find ourselves 4-0 before half-time. Someway, somehow we drag the last reserves of energy out of a team full of heroes and rescue a point with a 4-4 draw in front of over 58,000 disbelieving Tottenham fans.

Now, that was a fine day to be a Claret.

buxtonclaret
09-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Another for the 4-1 win at Bellend Road.
We well and truly stuffed the champions elect, in spite of the dirty gits trying to kick us off the park.
Burnley were just awesome, that day.

BeverlyClaret s at Villa Park is another good shout.
I was on the open end too, near the left hand floodlight!
That old Holt End, when full, was one of the greatest sights in football. It was bloody huge!

royboyclaret
09-01-2014, 09:16 PM
"That old Holt End, when full, was one of the greatest sights in football. It was bloody huge! "

It was, and the powers that be(who hated BFC mainly due to Lord Bob) made sure we didn't get that end in both semi-finals..'61 and '62 against Tottenham and Fulham.

buxtonclaret
09-01-2014, 09:26 PM
', and the powers that be(who hated BFC mainly due to
Lord Bob) made sure we didn't get that end in both semi-
finals..'61 and '62 against Tottenham and Fulham.. . . '

Didn't know that, Royboy
Both those games just a bit before I started watching.

But always thought a packed Holt End more than rivalled the more media preferred Kop, North Bank and Stretford End, et al.

MDWat
09-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Arsenal at home in the Premier League season is the best I've ever seen us play by some distance.

minniemouth
09-01-2014, 10:23 PM
the 4-1 at Weeds is also the match that cost us a cup final place.
That twohat Norman Hunter literally kicking Casper OFF the pitch. He wasn't right for the semi the following Saturday.