PDA

View Full Version : Ian Redford

O_Kahn
10-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Radio Clyde just said he's been found dead, aged 53. Very sad. Was a guest for "Off the Ball" just week or two ago.

Very skilful midfielder for United during their European heyday.

TedHankey
10-01-2014, 05:29 PM
that's a shame.

a player from the halcyon days of my life when we were phuckin fantastic.

RIP min

meatismurder
10-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Not good. :(

RIP

scobiemacd
10-01-2014, 06:00 PM
Bloody hell that is sad. Was reading a few excerpts from his book and also heard him on off the ball. Came across as a really nice bloke and quite funny the way he described playing football whilst being totally deaf in one ear.

Read it might be suicide as well .:blue:

RIP

sheepcrooky
10-01-2014, 06:21 PM
That's not good. Redford was one player, even though he played for the two teams I despised most, did not bother me. His story is interesting, makes you sort of understand footballers are actually human beings.

RIP min.

gogs1958
10-01-2014, 06:49 PM
Sad news when anyone takes their own life.
I am as passionate as anyone re the Dons, and about the former Huns, but this kind of thing puts things into perspective.

GlezgaRed
10-01-2014, 06:49 PM
Apparently found in woods in Ayrshire...doesn't sound good that.

donsdunt
10-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Great guy he was a member at the golf club I'm the pro at his son is a great golfer and Ian was so supportive, huge shock big loss will be missed thoughts with the family, RIP Ian.

naetaebashersallowed
10-01-2014, 07:48 PM
I was just reading about him a few months ago, his younger brother contracted leukemia and died when they were kids.

The article said that his parents kept it from him and his sister and he really struggled after his brother in his eyes died suddenly.

Sounded like he'd got his demons under control.
Very sad to hear as he seemed a decent guy.

MLAF44
10-01-2014, 07:49 PM
Happened 10 minutes from my house :(
F#ck sake
R.I.P Ian

OleOle
10-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Christ, that's really awful news. A good fitba player, a good golfer and a decent guy :blue:

RIP Ian Redford.

EintrachtFrankfurt
10-01-2014, 08:59 PM
rip. :(

he certainly was one of the first non-dons players i remember when he was with the jutes roundabout the time of the uefa cup final 1987.

pwlp
10-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Total shame! :blue:

When someone is so ill that this is the only way out, you have to feel for them and their familiesa€¦..

RIP mina€¦

xtrmntr75
10-01-2014, 10:08 PM
I feared this might be what I read on opening the thread. I hadn't heard anything today as been working.

What a shame. I remember him scoring in the UEFA Cup semi against Borussia Moenchengladbach (sp) in a breakaway up the field in injury time.

RIP Ian Redford

TheAngusBull
10-01-2014, 10:54 PM
Terrible news.

Remember him at Dundee, Rangers and Dundee Utd.

I was actually at the game when he scored a last minute LC final winner for Rangers against Dundee Utd - don't ask.

RIP

slyfox
11-01-2014, 12:48 AM
His cousin also took his own life about three years ago.

hilton82
11-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Terrible news.

I was actually at the game when he scored a last minute LC final winner for Rangers against Dundee Utd - don't ask.

RIP

fit was ye doing there tab?

xtrmntr75
11-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Terrible news.

RIP

Didnae realise he played for Dundee too. Dundee to Rangers must have been a well trodden path in the 80's what with Brown, Iain Ferguson and Cammy Fraser also going that route.

gogs1958
12-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Sorry but for all the sympathy one might feel, it still irks to see headlines like todays Mail describing him as a Hero. On what basis? No need for sensationalist stuff like that.

jannie_versace
14-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Sorry but for all the sympathy one might feel, it still irks to see headlines like todays Mail describing him as a Hero. On what basis? No need for sensationalist stuff like that.

If that's your over-riding feeling on the matter, I would suggest there's something far wrong with you.

WilliesTash
14-01-2014, 08:09 PM
think us being on the cusp of some possible success is getting to us.! coz this forums been bonkers last few days

keep the heid fellow dandies.

DEFCON
14-01-2014, 08:48 PM

sometimes it is just better to say nothing at all.

sleep well Mr Redford...hopefully now you are at peace.

RedStarTorphins
14-01-2014, 09:07 PM

Just the way of the modern world.
Journalistic hyperbole that has become acceptable, and faux grief on social media.
It all started when Princess Di died in my opinion.
Folk grieved more for her than they would for their own Mum.

That all said, for someone to be in a place in their head, where they take the decision to walk into the woods and take your own life is very sad.

Also consider the family. Every day of their lives, they will ask themselves if they could've done anything to help.

Horrendous for them.

OhioRed
14-01-2014, 09:13 PM
my sympathies go to his family and friends. Damn shame, he was a fine player even if he never played for the right club.

RIP min.