PDA

View Full Version : Kris Boyd

pieandbovrilman
13-01-2014, 02:35 AM
Ok,ken this has been spoken about a fair bit on here lately but who thinks we should be making a serious attempt to try and secure Boyd's services for next season?
I personally think we should try and get him signed up on a pre contract and if that means forgetting about this Goodwillie situation then so be it. What would we rather have, someone who's struggled to find form again in this league and who obviously has personal issues ongoing or the leagues record goal scorer.
The way we play and the chances we create we are crying out for a poacher like Boyd. I think if we come 2nd/3rd and win a cup he could be tempted.
I'm pretty sure we could get by with what we have until the summer if it meant the difference between getting a real striker and taking a big gamble on someone who showed some promise a few years ago. Who agrees?

ArildsHair
13-01-2014, 03:21 AM
Why not both?

pieandbovrilman
13-01-2014, 03:30 AM
Why not both?
If we could offload two of our three existing forwards then aye, both of them would be great but somehow I think that might be kicking the arse right out of the wages budget paying these two cos they ain't gan to come for tuppence ha'penny a week I'm afraid.

ArildsHair
13-01-2014, 04:05 AM
Why not both?
If we could offload two of our three existing forwards then aye, both of them would be great but somehow I think that might be kicking the arse right out of the wages budget paying these two cos they ain't gan to come for tuppence ha'penny a week I'm afraid.[/quote]

So who do we offload?

pieandbovrilman
13-01-2014, 04:11 AM
Why not both?
If we could offload two of our three existing forwards then aye, both of them would be great but somehow I think that might be kicking the arse right out of the wages budget paying these two cos they ain't gan to come for tuppence ha'penny a week I'm afraid.[/quote]

So who do we offload?[/quote]
Zola and Macgennis

OregonRed2
13-01-2014, 04:17 AM
I would go for Boyd especially if we have designs in Europe.
I dont particularly like the c^nt but his experience in Europe/Internationals would be valuable.
Goodwillie no f&ckin chance lazy and thinks Dundee United are below him.send his ass back to Blackburn.

OregonRed2
13-01-2014, 04:23 AM
I think if we are in Europe near the end of the season there is a good chance Boyd would come to us.
Hes nae a bad chunt the sumo thing first game this season showed he could take a joke and give it back.

ArildsHair
13-01-2014, 04:45 AM
I would go for Boyd especially if we have designs in Europe.
I dont particularly like the c^nt but his experience in Europe/Internationals would be valuable.
Goodwillie no f&ckin chance lazy and thinks Dundee United are below him.send his ass back to Blackburn.

They ARE below him.

Boyd, Goodwillie, McGinn, Pawlet, Hayes

Nae bad combo...

pieandbovrilman
13-01-2014, 05:42 AM
I think if we are in Europe near the end of the season there is a good chance Boyd would come to us.
Hes nae a bad chunt the sumo thing first game this season showed he could take a joke and give it back.
I reckon we could get him if we really tried, that's why I'm a bit concerned wi this whole Goodwillie scenario, obviously we hinna got an endless pot of gold and I'd hate to see money wasted on another striker that might not be up to the task. As far as I'm concerned Boyd is the one that stands out as exactly the kind of player we need. Dare I say it but with a 20 goal a season man we could even mount a serious title challenge next season. So come on DM and TD and convince SM to get Boyd signed up on a pre contract before he signs an extension wi Killie or goes somewhere else.

PitchMick2013
13-01-2014, 07:29 AM
We should be doing everything we can to get Boyd for next season in my opinion. Class act in the SPL.

Tubilay
13-01-2014, 07:32 AM
Problems.

1. Boyd is happy enough at Killie. He doesn't need the money of a move within Scotland, still lives in the same house, and is doing his coaching badges in Largs.

2. He's said a few times that he wants one more crack at playing in England. Nottingham Forest were sniffing about, and they'd certainly fit that bill.

There'll be several clubs asking after him at the moment. However, I think he'll be back in the Championship as and when he leaves Killie.

Pacman1903
13-01-2014, 07:39 AM
We should be doing everything we can to get Boyd for next season in my opinion. Class act in the SPL.

I would take Boyd in a heart beat. Definatley kens where the goal is. He is scoring goals at what can only be described as a minging team. The service at us would be better which would mean more goals. I could see him smash the 20 mark over a season. He is what we are crying out for.kind of dude that will win us extra points that we would struggle to get without him. Should be summers top target.

Nae doubt folk on here will be on their "f@ck him he's a hun" high horse.

Any idea what his wages are at Killie???

Pauldolski10
13-01-2014, 07:44 AM
I'd rather have Goodwillie

xtrmntr75
13-01-2014, 08:04 AM
I'd rather have Boyd. It's a goalscorer we need. In this Aberdeen side, he'd get 20-25 goals a season

donsdaft
13-01-2014, 08:13 AM
f'uck him, he's a hun.

PitchMick2013
13-01-2014, 08:35 AM
f'uck him, he's a hun.

I just don't get this attitude.

Some folk really do take fitba rivalries very seriously if they wouldn't take a top SPL striker simply because of the club he used to play for.

Each to their own like.

Pacman1903
13-01-2014, 09:25 AM
f'uck him, he's a hun.

Some folk really do take fitba rivalries very seriously if they wouldn't take a top SPL striker simply because of the club he used to play for.

Each to their own like.[/quote]

I couldna give a f@ck who someone played for whether it was the PJMs or the ex football club from glasgow(Nae Third Lanark) or whoever. When I was younger it might have irked me but I'd like to think I'm past that and realise its about Aberdeen FC. If that player adds to our squad and does a good job he will get my full support, Boyd or Goodwillie as examples

afc_1983
13-01-2014, 09:28 AM
A bloke whose best years are behind him and who probably has 2 years left in him, or a guy who plays with his head down, sulks a lot, has hardly kicked a ball for 3 years and who appears troubled by many personal issues?

How about neither? :/

xtrmntr75
13-01-2014, 10:46 AM
f'uck him, he's a hun.

Each to their own like.[/quote]

Dinnae bite. VisionExpress is at the wind up

caleebra
13-01-2014, 11:28 AM
A bloke whose best years are behind him and who probably has 2 years left in him

Probably two good years, and lets face it that's the longest we sign any player for these days. Two years of Boyd playing the way he is now would do us very nicely. I'm sure Cammy Smith could learn a thing or two from that kind of experience and quality.

Do we want to have a proper crack at Celtic next year, probably the last before the Glasgow Blues get back in to cheat their way up to the No.2 spot? This would be a signing of intent. He's hardly Barry Robson age.

pieandbovrilman
13-01-2014, 02:25 PM
A bloke whose best years are behind him and who probably has 2 years left in him

Probably two good years, and lets face it that's the longest we sign any player for these days. Two years of Boyd playing the way he is now would do us very nicely. I'm sure Cammy Smith could learn a thing or two from that kind of experience and quality.

Do we want to have a proper crack at Celtic next year, probably the last before the Glasgow Blues get back in to cheat their way up to the No.2 spot? This would be a signing of intent. He's hardly Barry Robson age.[/quote]
Exactly^^^^^^^^^^^. Signing Boyd is about the here and now not a couple years down the line. Anyone can see we really do have a very good team in place this season, just look at the results, but we definitely need a good striker. Boyd is the best in the country and we must try and get him on board for next season if we have ambitions of

Hewitt_Scores
13-01-2014, 02:28 PM
I'd rather have Boyd. It's a goalscorer we need. In this Aberdeen side, he'd get 20-25 goals a season

Agree with this 100%, though cannot see him moving up to Aberdeen.

pieandbovrilman
13-01-2014, 02:45 PM
I'm hoping if we win a cup and qualify for Europe then DM might be able to persuade him to come up here for a year. Got to be worth a try...we can only live in hope!

peter_ssb
13-01-2014, 02:47 PM
I'm hoping if we win a cup and qualify for Europe then DM might be able to persuade him to come up here for a year. Got to be worth a try...we can only live in hope!

Sorry but for me waste of time.
We made 3 bids for him before he went to Huns, he turned us down, probably as he knew about Huns.

So he turned us down once he can **** off. Would have been great but preferred the dark side to us

Moraygub
13-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Seems a bit harsh to hold that against him he was more than likely offered x 5 what Aberdeen would to play for the Huns...why do folk think that fitba players are a different breed when it comes to money and moving jobs.

As for him noo i wouldn't have a problem with him and he would be very good addition to the squad for sure...that said until he signs he is fat hun b*stard :-)

pieandbovrilman
13-01-2014, 05:30 PM

Sorry but for me waste of time.
We made 3 bids for him before he went to Huns, he turned us down, probably as he knew about Huns.

So he turned us down once he can **** off. Would have been great but preferred the dark side to us[/quote]
As I said earlier this is about here and now, this season is going to be good but with someone like Boyd upfront next season could be great. As for the whole issue of Boyd's past, I don't care about that if he comes to us and helps us win silverware he's more than welcome at Pittodrie for me. COYR

MeadowbankRed
13-01-2014, 05:32 PM
What would be against us as usual would be location, although Killie are struggling Boyd has a cushy number at the moment and seems relaxed about being back in Ayrshire. Difficult to see how a move to us would be worthwhile for him apart from the obvious things. Goodwillie is a difficult one, he has talent but his development has stalled in the last few years. He also brings baggage wherever he goes however if he could screw the nut he could still become a very good player. I would not be against him coming in. It seems pretty clear that his chances at Blackburn are limited.

pieandbovrilman
13-01-2014, 05:57 PM
What would be against us as usual would be location, although Killie are struggling Boyd has a cushy number at the moment and seems relaxed about being back in Ayrshire. Difficult to see how a move to us would be worthwhile for him apart from the obvious things. Goodwillie is a difficult one, he has talent but his development has stalled in the last few years. He also brings baggage wherever he goes however if he could screw the nut he could still become a very good player. I would not be against him coming in. It seems pretty clear that his chances at Blackburn are limited.
Agreed,he's obviously happy doon in the central belt and he prob has one eye on another contract doon south but I'd just like to see us having a real go at signing him. For me I think he'd fit in far better than Goodwillie, granted he could also become a very good signing but I think there's a lot of work to be done there and he's a big gamble. Boyd is

Steve1903
13-01-2014, 06:26 PM
Boyd definitely, Goodwillie's a risk so no.

pieandbovrilman
13-01-2014, 06:43 PM
Boyd definitely, Goodwillie's a risk so no.
My sentiments exactly. We obviously have a great team spirit just now and I wouldn't like to see that being put at risk by bringing in someone were not 100% sure will fit in. Boyd has won league titles and cups and I believe he'd fit in very well with our other experienced players such as Robson,Flood etc.

SMsW
13-01-2014, 06:46 PM
We obviously have a great team spirit just now and I wouldn't like to see that being put at risk by bringing in someone were not 100% sure will fit in. Boyd has won league titles and cups and I believe he'd fit in very well with our other experienced players such as Robson,Flood etc.

What makes you think Boyd would fit better than someone who has already played with 'our experienced players such as Robson & Flood'?

bobreidafc
13-01-2014, 07:00 PM
I'm as anti Hun as anyone (for the record I hate the tims even more but we are talking about extreme in both cases) . However there is such a thing as decency and here are three thing I like about Boyd besides his brilliant finishing: 1 when he signed for the Huns from killie he donated a hage fee (AŁ50k ?) to Kilmarnock's youth set up as a thank you for what they had done for him. 2 When he got the sumo treatment at Pittodrie this season once he scored he ran to the South Stand doing his Sumo impression and had a laugh about it which considering the abuse was quite funny. 3 the other week when the bbc were trying to get him to make an issue out of the disallowed goal he said he didnt want to dwell on that it was part of football and Abedeen were a good team and talked about Jaimie and Russell quite warmly. Little points among many but imagine niel Lennon in similar circumstances. Boyd is a decent bloke and would be worth 12 to 15 points a season to us . Can't see him coming though.

pieandbovrilman
13-01-2014, 07:20 PM
We obviously have a great team spirit just now and I wouldn't like to see that being put at risk by bringing in someone were not 100% sure will fit in. Boyd has won league titles and cups and I believe he'd fit in very well with our other experienced players such as Robson,Flood etc.

What makes you think Boyd would fit better than someone who has already played with 'our experienced players such as Robson & Flood'?[/quote]
I said I think he'd fit in very well, not neccesary better as we wouldn't know that unless we signed both and that's unlikely. I just feel Boyd would be a better fit on the whole because of his experience and the fact he's won titles and trophys which is exactly what we're trying to do hopefully.

Mixedgrill
13-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Dunno. I think the boy is a good player but he's nae getting any younger and for a striker I think fitness is key to being decent upfront. Buuut. If we bought him in I'd be happy to see him and to see what he can offer.

Goodwillie. Not keen at-all.

foreveradon
13-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Boyd - Yes - but as per previous postings don't think he will come unfortunately - would have been a great asset for a couple of years - Hun or no hun he will guarantee you goals - defo - and hes not a rapist ?????????

Goodwillie - No - Too much baggage and too many question marks ?

OhioRed
13-01-2014, 07:55 PM
I think we should definitely be working towards getting Boyd at Pittodrie next season. As to who we offload, Vernon, Magennis or Zola, I say all three.

pieandbovrilman
13-01-2014, 08:19 PM
I think we should definitely be working towards getting Boyd at Pittodrie next season. As to who we offload, Vernon, Magennis or Zola, I say all three.
I'd bin Magennis and Zola, as far as I can see they just don't have the quality or the ability to finish that we're looking for. Vernon's finishing has been poor this season although he has shown some decent touches and passing play when I've seen him at Pittodrie lately, if we need to keep one it would be him on a one year contract extension.

Don_Of_The_Dead
13-01-2014, 09:37 PM
I'd bin Magennis and Zola, as far as I can see they just don't have the quality or the ability to finish that we're looking for. Vernon's finishing has been poor this season although he has shown some decent touches and passing play when I've seen him at Pittodrie lately, if we need to keep one it would be him on a one year contract extension.[/quote]

I think Vernon had it rough when McGinn was in stunning form. He was also played out of position for what, 70% of the season? Can't of helped his form or his confidence. Brown was a chode for messing around with that formation. That being said, he did bring out the best in McGinn so for that we can be thankful. Vernon is a proven player here. But he isn't that great. Agree with keepin

NewOrleansRed
13-01-2014, 09:48 PM
McGinn upfront might work if we only had another option on the left. Somebody like Greg Wylde perhaps. What's the crack with him then??? :? :-?

AddisonDeWitt
13-01-2014, 10:10 PM
Canna believe people debating Boyd v Goodwillie as if that were the actual choice facing McInnes. Goodwillie has indicated he'd like to come here. There's logic in it: he needs a loan club and for various reason, including his relationship with our management team, we look a good option.

There's no similar logic to Boyd coming here. Like Goodwillie his stated aim is to do enough in the SPL this season to try to get back to England (or possibly Sevco) for a lot more money than he can earn in the SPL. Moving to another SPL club, where he might take time to settle in, just isn't part of the game plan, which is why he's stressed he's happy to stay at Killie.

McInnes probably has at least a 50/50 chance of getting Goodwillie. I doubt he's got a 1 in 50 chance of getting Boyd. The idea that he's trying to make a decision which of these options to go for is pure fantasy.

sancho_panza
13-01-2014, 10:44 PM
Obviously Boyd is better than what we have, but there are a lot of players who are better than what we have who are cheaper, younger and have more upside. He'll be 31 at the start of next season and has always had a reputation for having a poor work ethic, which doesn't exactly make him a good candidate to play well into his 30s. Blowing the budget on him is a huge risk regardless of his track record.

He's also deeply flawed as a player, which is why he flopped in the Championship. He gets away with it in the SPL because simply being a decent finisher and racking up a good goalscoring record makes you untouchable, but if we're looking to go to the next level I'd rather we tried building a team around someone who plays for the team. Would much rather have someone like McGinn, who isn't as prolific but gives us so much more with his general play.

pieandbovrilman
13-01-2014, 11:19 PM
Canna believe people debating Boyd v Goodwillie as if that were the actual choice facing McInnes. Goodwillie has indicated he'd like to come here. There's logic in it: he needs a loan club and for various reason, including his relationship with our management team, we look a good option.

There's no similar logic to Boyd coming here. Like Goodwillie his stated aim is to do enough in the SPL this season to try to get back to England (or possibly Sevco) for a lot more money than he can earn in the SPL. Moving to another SPL club, where he might take time to settle in, just isn't part of the game plan, which is why he's stressed he's happy to stay at Killie.

McInnes probably has at least a 50/50 chance of getting Goodwillie. I doubt he's got a 1 in 50 chance of getting Boyd. The idea that he's trying to make a decision which of these options to go for is pure fantasy.
I started this thread to see who else agreed with me tha