PDA

View Full Version : After 22 games last season

afc_1983
13-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Celtic had 46 points.

We currently have 44 for 22 games this season.

Ifs, buts and maybes but it's a bit gutting they seem to be more consistent this season. We're really relying on them coming down a level if we're to have a chance of winning the championship in the coming seasons.

Jakeyboy
13-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Celtic had 46 points.

Ifs, buts and maybes but it's a bit gutting they seem to be more consistent this season. We're really relying on them coming down a level if we're to have a chance of winning the championship in the coming seasons.

Or us not losing unnacceptably on 2 occasions to a team that are fielding mainly under 20's and have become the whipping boys of the league.

Or losing in a pathetic manner to Ross County, arguably our worst perfomance of the season to date.

If Langfield is not sent off at home to Celtic conceding a penalty and leaving us 45 minutes to play the champions a goal down.

If we put away our chances against Motherwell at home instead succumbing to a counter attack.

If McGinn's shot goes in instead of striking the post at Parkhead to put us 2-1 up in the 88th minute.

All if's and but's but there are potentially 15 points there that on our day we could ha

theram1975
13-01-2014, 01:37 PM
All if's and buts but we are not that far away. The defeats against Hearts are obviously sore but if we had beat Celtic in both the games this season we would have been two points clear of them.

It's not that silly sounding when you remember that it was 0-0 at Pittodrie right on half time when Clangers for sent off and in the game at Parkhead we hit the inside of the post at 1-1 in the 89th minute.

A proper left back and a good number 9 will make a hell of a difference imo.

PittodrieGoesBerserk
13-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Those two Hearts games are still hard to take, they have managed 8 points in their 20 other league games.

AddisonDeWitt
13-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Celtic were lazy and complacent in the first half of last season, so much so that some posters here (and elsewhere) were arguing that a genuine challenge for the title was not impossible.

I thought it was garbage and said so at the time. You always knew that if Celtic found they were under real pressure they were capable of stepping it up and having a long spell of consistent wins.

Celtic's points tally after 22 games last season would have been a lot higher if they'd needed it to be.

Dec123Red
13-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Is it conceivable that Celtic will drop enough points to let us back in - doubtful

Said before that I don't think Celtic will lose a league game all season.

They will lose in the next round of the cup however :)

scobiemacd
13-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Celtic had 46 points.

Or us not losing unnacceptably on 2 occasions to a team that are fielding mainly under 20's and have become the whipping boys of the league.

Or losing in a pathetic manner to Ross County, arguably our worst perfomance of the season to date.

If Langfield is not sent off at home to Celtic conceding a penalty and leaving us 45 minutes to play the champions a goal down.

If we put away our chances against Motherwell at home instead succumbing to a counter attack.

If McGinn's shot goes in instead of striking the post at Parkhead to put us 2-1 up in the 88th minute.

All if's and but's but there are potential

terenceandphilip
13-01-2014, 02:00 PM
The Hearts games were sore ones to take, but if lady luck had put the ball in the net rather than onto the inside of the post in the last 5 minutes at Parkhead we could be 4 points behind them. Just that one swing.

I must mention that at this time last season, Craig Brown was severely grinding my gears in a way not even Calderwood managed. In fact, in a way not even Alex Miller or whatever you called him managed. After defeats all CB could drone on about was corners and playing Brazil at France '98.

DM in contrast is just f3cking magic. :-)

afc_1983
Celtic had 46 points.

If McGinn's shot goes in instead of striking the post at Parkhead to put us 2-1 up in the 88th min

CaddyCarhandle
On this day in 1980 we were 10 points behind Celtic.

afc_1983
13-01-2014, 02:02 PM

Liking the optimism!

CaddyCarhandle
13-01-2014, 02:06 PM

Liking the optimism![/quote]

I neglected to mention that we'd 3 games in hand.

But on the other hand, it was only 2 points for a win, so I suppose we'd've been effectively 15 points behind in today's money.

Wish they still had Latchford (drops it) in goals.

Pacman1903
13-01-2014, 02:15 PM

quality

terenceandphilip
13-01-2014, 03:40 PM

memories are made of this. B)

:star: :star:

bird_is_the_word
13-01-2014, 04:37 PM
The 2 Games against the LSC, Motherwell & Ross County games have been real kicks in the balls & I think we're going to have to take a couple more similar results this season considering we are still a work in progress.

Not to worry though as we are heading in the right direction & hopefully come the start of next season we will be better set up for a right crack at the title.

pieandbovrilman
13-01-2014, 06:28 PM
The 2 Games against the LSC, Motherwell & Ross County games have been real kicks in the balls & I think we're going to have to take a couple more similar results this season considering we are still a work in progress.

Not to worry though as we are heading in the right direction & hopefully come the start of next season we will be better set up for a right crack at the title.

:star: :star:^^^^^^^ this is what we should be aiming for, next season could be very interesting... but we've still got lots to play for this time round. Life's good for Dandy's just now!!!

ssdon
13-01-2014, 06:48 PM
I think we would need 4 new players next season to even think about being close to Celtic

Even then we'd be lucky to be within 10 points of them

tuneafish
13-01-2014, 08:36 PM
We're only two pts ahead of Motherwell and they have a game in hand.

We may not even finish second.

Challenging for the title?, get a grip!

BucksburnDandy
13-01-2014, 08:43 PM

Liking the optimism![/quote]

I neglected to mention that we'd 3 games in hand.

But on the other hand, it was only 2 points for a win, so I suppose we'd've been effectively 15 points behind in today's money.

Wish they still had Latchford (drops it) in goals.[/quote]

Strachan scores, Strachan makes it 3-1, disaster for Peter Latchford!

Ach unfortunately, it just at the moment is too unlikely due to the difference in depth of squads. The fact they can spend far more than us on players doesn't exactly help much either :blue:

tarapoa
13-01-2014, 09:42 PM
The fact they can spend far more than us on players doesn't exactly help much either :blue:

I liked the cut of McInnes' jib at the Black & Gold night when he stated building a football team was about a lot more than money, and that he hates the thought of entering a league that can't be won.

That sort of line just isn't the norm from employees of AFC...

Ajja
13-01-2014, 10:05 PM
In the harsh reality of life it's very very unlikely that anyone could sustain a decent challenge to Celtic, particularly when a lot of teams are weakening and can't take points form them to assist the process.

That aside, it's fun to dream. I have a sneaky feeling that Motherwell will win at Parkhead this weekend. If we can beat ICT then it will be interesting to see what Celtic would do with that...

bird_is_the_word
13-01-2014, 11:31 PM
We're only two pts ahead of Motherwell and they have a game in hand.

We may not even finish second.

Challenging for the title?, get a grip!

Nae gonna be challenging for the title this year but if we can finish this season strongly in the cups & league then who knows what will happen next year or the year after. Nae hvns, nae hertz & the worst tim team I've seen in many a year.

I live in hope.:P

sancho_panza
14-01-2014, 10:40 AM
The Hearts games were awful, but over 38 games we'll have days where everything goes wrong - red cards, goalkeepers making inexplicable flaps like Weaver did at Tynecastle, etc. That's just the law of averages.

Celtic are winning games with plenty in the tank to spare, so when that rub of the green goes against them it usually doesn't make any difference. We have to be more or less at our best every game whereas they can still win 2-0 on a bad day. Not saying it's impossible, but I do think focusing too much on the handful of negatives from this season like the Hearts games is the wrong way to look at it.