PDA

View Full Version : Declan McManus back at the club

CoveKreep
13-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, as I cannot see the search gizmo anymore.

I note McManus is now back from his loan spell at Alloa.

For a lad with a reputation as a fox in the box in his youth career, 1 goal in 18 matches doesn't look like much return - and the fact he is back may tell its own story.

Anyone in the know got any feedback on how he got on down there?

RDuncan8
13-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Is he still promoting that Herbalife sh1te?

tarapoa
13-01-2014, 09:49 PM
I heard Hartley on the radio last week hinting at 'one or two loan signings that haven't quite been up to standard' or words to those effect.

Not sure who exactly he was referring to...

RedStarTorphins
13-01-2014, 09:53 PM
No offence to young Declan, but I think he'll be playing for a League One club next season.

One goal in the Championship?

Not good enough for Aberdeen, that's for sure.

Banffer_Don
14-01-2014, 06:45 AM
I think far too many folk were sold on the fact that he scored more U20 goals last season than Tony Watt, but Watt's hardly set the SPL on fire. He's almost had the opposite effect.

There is a transition between U20 and senior football and it's one that McManus hasn't quite adapted to yet.

Don't know whether he will make it at Aberdeen but I'd like to see him given a chance before deciding.

OleOle
14-01-2014, 06:52 AM
I would like to hope he can make it with Aberdeen, but have my doubts. Mitch Megginson and Michael Paton immediately spring to mind when I hear his mentioned.

afc_1983
14-01-2014, 08:17 AM
Ridiculous that people are writing him off just because of his spell at Alloa.

Do players need to be successful at all stages of their careers in order to be said to have 'made it'?

Plenty of time for him to make his mark at Aberdeen. I'm not sure of his age but I doubt he's 20 yet.

Gallus79
14-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Writing was on the wall for me when he was oasting about his new Merc on twitter on the same day he moved to Alloa on loan. Same car as ***n *****r and he's on ?300k a year.

Sent the wrong message out - and he has failed miserably.

Ditch him and promote the next in line to the first team.

PitchMick2013
14-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Writing was on the wall for me when he was oasting about his new Merc on twitter on the same day he moved to Alloa on loan. Same car as ***n *****r and he's on ?300k a year.

XD

RichieRed93
14-01-2014, 08:33 AM

Totally agree. Last season watching the U20 highlights on RedTV you thought that he was going to be huge with the amount, and quality of goals he was scoring. His loan to Alloa has proved he still needs time to prove himself in lower divisions before even thinking about starting for Aberdeen.

Shankland on the other hand scored on his debut for Dunfermline, who if R****rs weren't in the league would be strong champion contenders. Shankland must be favorite out of the two?

Just wonder where Cammy Smith fits into the picture? Is he a striker or an attack midfielder?

CountZaroff
14-01-2014, 08:37 AM
Shankland matched McManus' goal tally on loan after only 12 minutes the other day. He looks like more of a prospect at first team level than McManus does anyway and has undoubtedly leapt ahead of him in line.

Eoinel_Jessi
14-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Michael Paton

No shortage of ability there. He failed because he had a bad attitude.

Shame.

OleOle
14-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Michael Paton

No shortage of ability there. He failed because he had a bad attitude.

Shame.[/quote]

Can't argue with that.

duckman
14-01-2014, 10:00 AM
I made a long post in another thread about McManus' time at Alloa.

Alloa are playing extremely defensively - they are 5th in the league but have the second least goals scored, after the last placed team. They seem to sit back after going 1-0 up with their strikers not doing much except forcing the opposition defenders to stay back. It's working for them, so why change it?

McManus was used as a sub, coming on usually in the second half. Saying he made 17 appearances implies he played 26 hours of football; in reality he only played about 5.

It is important to see the bigger picture here. Shankland scored after 12 minutes, but when McManus scored his goal he had been on the pitch for only 4.

PitchMick2013
14-01-2014, 10:02 AM
A fantastic amount of patience being shown on this thread :)

STANDFREE92
14-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Maybe he would of been better of going to a league 1 side first to get experience, will be interesting to see how he does in the 20's for rest of the season.

afc_1983
14-01-2014, 12:42 PM
A fantastic amount of patience being shown on this thread :)

Indeed. Absolutely frightening the attitude shown by some posters. The Sky Sports generation in a nut shell.

phoenixx
14-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Is he still promoting that Herbalife sh1te?

If you believe , it works !

It's the placebo effect , the remarkable power of the human brain to unconsciously influence the functioning and perception of the body. - view external link (http://tinyurl.com/qje5utp)

SMsW
14-01-2014, 01:04 PM
McManus was used as a sub, coming on usually in the second half. Saying he made 17 appearances implies he played 26 hours of football; in reality he only played about 5.

He played a lot more than 5. I'm sure he started the first 6 games

theram1975
14-01-2014, 01:13 PM

He played a lot more than 5. I'm sure he started the first 6 games[/quote]

Bored so I counted. :D

He played over 14 and a half hours.

DITA
14-01-2014, 01:33 PM
I made a long post in another thread about McManus' time at Alloa.

Alloa are playing extremely defensively - they are 5th in the league but have the second least goals scored, after the last placed team. They seem to sit back after going 1-0 up with their strikers not doing much except forcing the opposition defenders to stay back. It's working for them, so why change it?

It is important to see the bigger picture here. Shankland scored after 12 minutes, but when McManus scored his goal he had been on the pitch for only 4.

You are Declan McManus, and I claim my free pint.

Biscuits07
14-01-2014, 02:16 PM
So off to Peterhead then?

Dec123Red
14-01-2014, 03:25 PM

What on earth are you whittering on about now? You don't like him because of the car he drives? XD

andoplzcumbak
14-01-2014, 04:18 PM
I wouldn't write him off quite yet?

He's been at a low scoring Alloa who play on a plastic pitch, the pitch would take some getting used to.
And i'm guessing that he isn't getting too many chances created each game.. That added to him maybe not being physically ready for the rough and tumble of the lower leagues would suggest to me that he isn't finished yet.

theram1975
14-01-2014, 05:01 PM
This thread has an excuse list nearly as long as Jackie McNamara's.

Weather
pitch
playing style
low scoring club
Car :D :D