PDA

View Full Version : Way O/T Wi Fi

Vin55
17-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Hello All,
I was Floydyboy now Vin55.
Ill be in UK April-May .We need a portable WIFI device for UK,Ireland,France ,Switz & Italy.Im not looking so much for bargains but am looking for the best coverage, no point saving money if you cant get a signal.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Will be on Turf for Wigan game. UTC.

clarethomer07
17-01-2014, 08:47 PM
What do you mean by portable wifi device? Do you mean something that creates a wi-fi hotspot like a 3/4g mobile data device?

Would something like the below work? - view external link (http://www.dataroam.co.uk)

jiltedjohn
17-01-2014, 08:54 PM
If you know where you going why not google to see if there is free wi-fi in the area, many places such as hotels, pubs and shopping centres offer free wi-fi which you can access from smartphones and tablets. Maybe not ideal for coverage but free wi-fi is, well, free if you already have a device.

Vin55
17-01-2014, 10:20 PM
Thanks clarethomer07 and jiltedjohn.
the thing is if I was here in OZ Id go straight to Telstra because I know they've got the best coverage allover OZ . But I don't want to get a portable hi fi hotspot with a sh1te signal...as far as free wifi ,Im very addicted to my devices.. tablet and laptop and the reason I want a port wifi is so that I can have access24/7 while Im away...I did have a look at that dataroam device previously and on face value looks good ...Do they use a bunch of different networks to provide the data...anyway thanks again every bit helps

Vin55
17-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Well its basically local knowledge Im after
Im going to: on bus trips, London York Harrogate Glasgow Edinburgh Falkirk Belfast Dublin Waterford Cardiff & Lon Paris Lucerne Venice Florence Rome.And would like to have coverage while Im in transit. That's why I want reliable as opposed to a bargain or free...
and I hope its all done and dusted by the time the Wigan game comes around , will make for a relaxing afternoon ...UTC

clarethomer07
17-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Well whilst in the UK, it can be varying on signal strength where ever you are. You can get coverage maps on the network websites (EE, Vodafone, Three etc).

If you are on a main train line in the UK - then wifi is usually available on board. Whilst in London you will get wifi hotspots all over the place. You can use btopenzone or the cloud which I think is free...Again there are maps of where these hotspots are for.

If you have an unlocked phone, you could simply look at buying sims in each country. My iPhone can be turned into a personal hotspot which is in essence a mi-fi device.

When you are in transit, look at who you are travelling and look at what facilities you have with them. If you are on the train, using a mi-fi type device can be a pain when you go through tunnels for example. - view external link (http://www.thecloud.net/free-wifi/join-the-cloud/)