PDA

View Full Version : Today's Minutes Silence?

thestooge
18-01-2014, 10:28 AM
Is it for Ariel Sharon, Trigger or the wee loon fae Edinburgh?

Just so I know.

Mixedgrill
18-01-2014, 10:31 AM
It's for Cammy Smith, no?

allymac
18-01-2014, 10:34 AM
Yes, for Cammy Smith, I think it's to be during the 26th minute of the match, that was his age.

portybill
18-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Lads it is the 26th minute and it is a minutes applause

allymac
18-01-2014, 10:37 AM
My apologies, I mistakenly typed 22nd, corrected it now

thestooge
18-01-2014, 10:37 AM
It's for Cammy Smith, no?

No, no, that's this weeks minutes applause. At least Cammy has a connection to the club.

AddisonDeWitt
18-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Lord McAlpine?

Didna think so.

Simmie4
18-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Is it for Ariel Sharon, Trigger or the wee loon fae Edinburgh?

Just so I know.

I reckon Sharon should get it seeing as Mandella got one a few weeks back. Similar career paths and all that

XD

ReDBeaM
18-01-2014, 11:16 AM
And it gets lower and lower !

peter_ssb
18-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Sorry without meaning to sound disrespectful it is getting beyond a joke now

At the thistle game clapping people for doing their jobs

Now for a supporter

If we have silences and applause for supporters, then we will need to have 10 minimum every match

That is even before bringing up the fact Aberdeen were allegedly his 2nd team and he was a Manure Fan

IMHO these things should be for ex-players, or special occasions like death of a current player for other team or someone like Lady Di who was a public Icon

Mandella - NO
Politicians - NO
Fans - NO (or cover every single fans, and you are bound to forget one) Also is it just home fans, or how about Central Belt fans who cant get to home games or how about us Ex-Pats

Sorry to bump on a bit but this is getting well beyond a joke

Can we have a minutes applause at 30mins to respect the people who have not managed through the Ballot to get tickets for the semi, or should they get a silence ?

Aldo1983
18-01-2014, 12:39 PM
To be fair...you don't have to join in with the applause. Folk are really precious about being told what to do but really nobody is telling anyone to do anything.

1903_Redz
18-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Exactly!

Threads like this are absolutely pathetic!

RicoS321
18-01-2014, 12:46 PM
IMHO these things should be for ex-players, or special occasions like death of a current player for other team or someone like Lady Di who was a public Icon

What a brilliant line. I'm going to have a minutes applause for Lady Di in the 26th minute today. You guys can join in if you like.

donsdaft
18-01-2014, 01:05 PM
What about a minutes rant for Lady Di

F'uckin cow.

I left my seat and stood out the back of the south stand when they had a minutes silence for that ugly bitch.

F'uckin ragin I wiz because they had postponed the Scotland game.

Panda
18-01-2014, 01:11 PM
It's not a tribute if you do it all the time. It's also not a tribute if you're reluctantly doing it.

CaddyCarhandle
18-01-2014, 01:25 PM
We'll be like Celtic and Liverpool soon in that our kit will be made with an integral black armband.

Redloudnproud
18-01-2014, 01:30 PM
or someone like Lady Di who was a public Icon

XD XD XD XD

InversneckieDob
18-01-2014, 02:51 PM
or someone like Lady Di who was a pubic lice nest

Harsh min

fatshaft
18-01-2014, 05:09 PM
To be fair...you don't have to join in with the applause. Folk are really precious about being told what to do but really nobody is telling anyone to do anything.
Fair comment, however the greater point is whether this lad was deserving of this tribute today? Why him and not the many others who succumb to a terrible illness, or die in car crashes, or whatever.

Just because his Mrs decided to make herself into a celebrity-victim on facebook, doesn't mean she should then guilt AFC into recognising his support of Manchester Utd the Dons.

elginred
18-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Impressions - I thought it was just wierd

Redloudnproud
18-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Impeccably done. We'll done Aberdeen supporters. The only good thing about today.

RIP Cammy

bloodrunsred
18-01-2014, 05:55 PM
with all due respect,i was a bit concerned about having a minute's applause during the game.if we had scored-which was possible at that time we would have had to interrupt the applause to cheer the goal which might have been disrespectful.
maybe in future have something like this at half time?

thegrunter
18-01-2014, 05:58 PM
with all due respect,i was a bit concerned about having a minute's applause during the game.if we had scored-which was possible at that time we would have had to interrupt the applause to cheer the goal which might have been disrespectful.

Was thinking the same as we attacked during the applause but then thought that if we had scored in that minute it might have meant a lot to the family ?!

pieandbovrilman
18-01-2014, 06:07 PM

Was thinking the same as we attacked during the applause but then thought that if we had scored in that minute it might have meant a lot to the family ?![/quote]
That's exactly fit I thought, don't think you could ask for a better tribute than for a goal at that time!

ByeByeScum2012
18-01-2014, 06:18 PM
Good effort

xtrmntr75
18-01-2014, 06:35 PM

Oh that is so 80's

PitchMick2013
18-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Can I just say on the record that if I die anytime soon I don't want a minutes silence or applause at Pittodrie.

Thanks now.

thegrunter
18-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Can I just say on the record that if I die anytime soon I don't want a minutes silence or applause at Pittodrie.

Thanks now.

Your're all right .Absolutely no chance of that PM ;D

PitchMick2013
18-01-2014, 07:33 PM

Thanks now.

Your're all right .Absolutely no chance of that PM ;D[/quote]

I wondered how long that would take ;)

Aldo1983
18-01-2014, 07:36 PM

Thanks now.

Tough. I'll be going f*cking mental on the 37th minute. I'll also start a thread on here to drum up support. In fact I'll have drums too.

weemackie
18-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Fair comment, however the greater point is whether this lad was deserving of this tribute today? Why him and not the many others who succumb to a terrible illness, or die in car crashes, or whatever.

Just because his Mrs decided to make herself into a celebrity-victim on facebook, doesn't mean she should then guilt AFC into recognising his support of Manchester Utd the Dons.[/quote]

Thats pretty much what i think of it

TedHankey
18-01-2014, 08:25 PM
i wanted us to score during the minute. Infact all around me wanted that too. Would have been a fitting tribute to the loon.

we would have kept clapping.

not often the whole stadium do anything in unison,

It was unusual to hear the noise for that minute as Pittodrie is normally as quiet as a mouse :D

donsdaft
18-01-2014, 09:34 PM
I don't suppose it's politically correct to point out that the minutes applause happened between the 24.5 and 25.5 minutes.

My oldest son is 26, I don't even want to think about not having him with me any more, but this sort of thing has got to stop.

PitchMick2013
18-01-2014, 10:04 PM
I just think that proper heartfelt tributes are things which happen organically, not because everyone has been told to do so.

When the Liverpool fans started sporadically chanting about the 96 fans during a Hillsborough service at Anfield that really came across as something moving and meaningful. Compare that to when they sing YNWA on cue every single match and it's apples and oranges.

These tributes have become completely meaningless now. Time for it to stop.

kkong
18-01-2014, 10:09 PM
Can we have a minute's silence on the 16th minute at Fir Park next week to remember the victims of the Battle of Jutland?

I'm sure a few Dons fans died in that?

weemackie
18-01-2014, 10:52 PM
Apparently every amateur game in Aberdeen today had a minutes silence, nae sure how true that is? Mental if it is to be honest

fatshaft
19-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Apparently every amateur game in Aberdeen today had a minutes silence, nae sure how true that is? Mental if it is to be honest
I think that would be the point where minute's silences jump the shark

TedHankey
19-01-2014, 10:16 AM
The people commenting on this thread are in the minority based on what happened at the game. And it has nothing to do with being "politically correct", something i could never ever be accused of being.

Everyone of course is entitled to their opinion.

I would hope that the dissenters, who know nothing of what was going on between the football club and the loon prior to his death will make their views known to the deceased's family.

deedon
19-01-2014, 11:09 AM
I would hope that the dissenters, who know nothing of what was going on between the football club and the loon prior to his death will make their views known to the deceased's family.

Serious question. What exactly was going on between the club and this loon? To my knowledge I've never heard it fully explained...? Apologies if I've missed it.

PitchMick2013
19-01-2014, 12:35 PM

What a ridiculous thing to say. I can only assume you are on the wind up.

Just to clarify, incase you really haven't understood, people are complaining about the sheer amount of tributes that are happening nowadays, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the individual cases themselves.

1903_Redz
19-01-2014, 01:32 PM
Just how many tributes have you had to 'endure' this season?

I'm sure you must be knackered with all the staying silent for a minute or clapping your hands for a minute that you've had to do.

So, how many?

PitchMick2013
19-01-2014, 01:39 PM
Just how many tributes have you had to 'endure' this season?

I'm sure you must be knackered with all the staying silent for a minute or clapping your hands for a minute that you've had to do.

So, how many?

Fair point. If there aren't any more tributes this season then I'll admit I was maybe a bit premature. I can just see it getting a bit out of hand, that's all.

DirkDonDiggler
19-01-2014, 01:47 PM

Just to clarify, incase you really haven't understood, people are complaining about the sheer amount of tributes that are happening nowadays, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the individual cases themselves.[/quote]

PM, i think the majority of this board get your point by now. You've told us on umpteen posts since clutha, the Mikaeel and this thread. Starting to think you enjoy a good mourn yourself going by all your posts on the subject. I'll leave you to get the last word in. :zzz:

Mr_Grieves
19-01-2014, 01:50 PM

Just to clarify, incase you really haven't understood, people are complaining about the sheer amount of tributes that are happening nowadays, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the individual cases themselves.[/quote]

Have a look at post #19 again. Looks like someone is complaining about this particular tribute.

offshoredandyandy
19-01-2014, 02:12 PM
The bit I don't get is the folk asking for a link between the club and Cammy , why should the club have to clarify there wanting to pay tribute to the loon if they seen fit to do this tribute then that's good enough for me .

Also if a hunner folk text the number advertised at the match for the Archie foundation that normally wouldn't then that's a bonus too , I can't think of another time we have had a minutes silence/applause at pittodrie since teddy scott ?

Has there been ?

PitchMick2013
19-01-2014, 02:19 PM
PM, i think the majority of this board get your point by now.

Good stuff

Oslo_Don
19-01-2014, 02:33 PM
, I can't think of another time we have had a minutes silence/applause at pittodrie since teddy scott ?

Has there been ?

Which explains the curiosity about the applause yesterday. Many fans have passed away since Teddy Scott; what made him different? It's a shame that a young lad died, but it happens all the time. A sad time for his family and friends who are in mourning.

TedHankey
19-01-2014, 03:28 PM
, I can't think of another time we have had a minutes silence/applause at pittodrie since teddy scott ?

Has there been ?

Which explains the curiosity about the applause yesterday. Many fans have passed away since Teddy Scott; what made him different? It's a shame that a young lad died, but it happens all the time. A sad time for his family and friends who are in mourning.[/quote]

Which sort of goes against this thread moaning about paying tributes at the football club every second day.

It has not happened in years. Yes it has happened elsewhere, but not here.

some folk are at their happiest, when they are moaning. And a lot of them post on here. :D

offshoredandyandy
19-01-2014, 03:31 PM

Has there been ?

Which explains the curiosity about the applause yesterday. Many fans have passed away since Teddy Scott; what made him different? It's a shame that a young lad died, but it happens all the time. A sad time for his family and friends who are in mourning.[/quote]

Again though fair play you are curious but the club don't have to give any sort of explanation .

As I understand it he has done work in the past regarding his campaign and the Archie foundation.

Glad to see it was well observed and all that I could see took part just wish we had scored in that minute

fatshaft
19-01-2014, 06:47 PM

Has there been ?

Which sort of goes against this thread moaning about paying tributes at the football club every second day.

It has not happened in years. Yes it has happened elsewhere, but not here.

some folk are at their happiest, when they are moaning. And a lot of them post on here. :D[/quote]
It has NEVER happened that some random gets a minutes applause/silence, THAT is the point. NO-ONE else has ever had this despite dozens of loyal fans dying every year, and

redstarfk
20-01-2014, 03:01 PM
I'm curious too , fatshaft

What was it we were all supposed to be paying tribute to ?

What was it about Cammy Smith's death that was
deemed worthy of a special tribute from AFC ?

Or was it in recognition of something he did or achieved while he was alive ?

scobiemacd
20-01-2014, 03:04 PM
What about that bloke who was attacked by pirates on a round the world cruise with his wife? He deserves a minutes applause at the next game.

RicoS321
20-01-2014, 03:37 PM
What about that bloke who was attacked by pirates on a round the world cruise with his wife? He deserves a minutes applause at the next game.

Is there any proof that him or Michael Jackson are actually dead?

cMac
20-01-2014, 04:50 PM
I've no problem standing up for 60 seconds and clapping because I'm not a ****. It's no effort on our part and making a big deal of it just makes you look like a cry baby winger. Grow up boys you are all like 40.

PitchMick2013
20-01-2014, 06:03 PM
I've no problem standing up for 60 seconds and clapping because I'm not a ****. It's no effort on our part and making a big deal of it just makes you look like a cry baby winger. Grow up boys you are all like 40.

I'd suggest it's you that needs to grow up if you canna handle a bit of healthy debate about a topical issue. XD

Moreover, how many times do people have to say that they don't have a problem taking part in these tributes >:(

People are questioning the criteria for a tribute, that's all. No big deal. Just an interesting talking point.

scobiemacd
20-01-2014, 06:29 PM

Is there any proof that him or Michael Jackson are actually dead?[/quote]

Their lifeless corpses ?

:P

SMsW
20-01-2014, 06:32 PM
you are all like 40.

WTF does that mean?

ianporteous
20-01-2014, 06:35 PM
or someone like Lady Di who was a public Icon

Mandella - NO

You need to rethink your public icons.

donsdaft
20-01-2014, 07:33 PM
The whole country has been run like this for the past 20 years.

Censorship by another.

Subjects that no one is able to discuss because they can't find words that they are allowed to use.

It's not doing anyone any good. Like.

cMac
20-01-2014, 08:29 PM
People are questioning the criteria for a tribute, that's all. No big deal. Just an interesting talking point.

I agree that the criteria for it is questionable. I just don't see the need to express how much of a farce people might think it is. Just clap for 60 seconds, make the family feel good for a bit, then move on with your life.

fatshaft
20-01-2014, 08:47 PM

I agree that the criteria for it is questionable. I just don't see the need to express how much of a farce people might think it is. Just clap for 60 seconds, make the family feel good for a bit, then move on with your life.[/quote]

So, you agree it's questionable, jist dinna question it?

phew, glad 'ats sorted noo then XD

PitchMick2013
20-01-2014, 09:17 PM

I agree that the criteria for it is questionable. I just don't see the need to express how much of a farce people might think it is. Just clap for 60 seconds, make the family feel good for a bit, then move on with your life.[/quote]

And that's exactly what we all do.

Surely there is a wider debate to be had about who deserves a tribute at a fitba game though, and I can't see any better place to discuss it than on a fitba messageboard.

I think some people just see debates like these and without really reading the comments or trying to understand the arguments just leap into defensive mode as they are worried that it might upset someone looking in.

I understand that but find it unfair as nobody is saying they don't sympathise with the familes involved but sometimes it

eppy_b_red
20-01-2014, 09:32 PM
The whole country has been run like this for the past 20 years.

Censorship by another.

Subjects that no one is able to discuss because they can't find words that they are allowed to use.

It's not doing anyone any good. Like.

It's a pish state of affairs

cMac
20-01-2014, 10:06 PM

And that's exactly what we all do.

Surely there is a wider debate to be had about who deserves a tribute at a fitba game though, and I can't see any better place to discuss it than on a fitba messageboard.

I think some people just see debates like these and without really reading the comments or trying to understand the arguments just leap into defensive mode as they are worried that it might upset someone looking in.

I understand that but find it unfair as nobody is saying they don't sy

PitchMick2013
21-01-2014, 06:26 AM
I just don't see it being an issue worth raising if it gives some people a bit of comfort or whatever.

You're obviously a nice person so you see it in a positive way. I'm quite cynical in my old age and I can't help feeling that fitba grounds have been hijacked and are turning into places of mourning.

It used to be churches, now it's fitba stadiums. I suppose that makes sense with the way the world has gone, but it's all a bit too sentimental for my liking.

deedon
22-01-2014, 01:02 PM
From the We Are All Cammy Smith Facebook page..

[quote]
Right I've had enough ! I have just lost my husband and journalists are calling, emailing and face booking me magazine deals ! Please DO NOT sent me anything more I'm furious, let me grieve in peace like every normal wife would. Went to my work to find a sympathy card from one with a bloody magazine offer in it ! PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE. This is a private time not a free for all

Mason89
22-01-2014, 01:21 PM
Right I've had enough ! I have just lost my husband and journalists are calling, emailing and face booking me magazine deals ! Please DO NOT sent me anything more I'm furious, let me grieve in peace like every normal wife would. Went to my work to find a sympathy card from one with a bloody magazine offer in it ! PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE. This is a private time not a free for all

In fairness to the magazines, I can see why there was some confusion between what was public & private time. It was a free for all while he was dying

Eoinel_Jessi
22-01-2014, 01:27 PM
From the We Are All Cammy Smith Facebook page..

Once you go public you can't just turn it off.

I'd have thought that was one of the most blatant truisms of our time.

scobiemacd
22-01-2014, 02:14 PM
If it raises more awareness and raises more cash for fighting the illness maybe she should think about taking them up on the offer in a few weeks time.

#mediafrenzyandsh1t

thestooge
22-01-2014, 02:18 PM
The thing I have against minutes silence/applause is that they are effectively pointless, in spite of best intentions.

Half the time, those involved don't know what they're involved in or who they're showing respect to.

I've got no problem with it for the likes of Teddy Scott, someone with a lifelong association to the club getting one as a mark of thanks and respect.

I've got no problem with Cammy Smith either, though I think the connection was a little more tenuous, because I think it has, to a greater or lesser degree, raised awareness about a particular cause. I wonder how many who stood and applauded on the 26th minute have, as a result of Cammy's situation, registered as donors. Probably a few. Hopefully.

However, when we had three shows of grief/respect in about as many weeks, for Remembrance, Mandela and Cultha, and then calls this week for the loon from Edinburgh to get one, I think it's become counterproductive.

Individually, all are worthy of recognition, but, for me

deedon
22-01-2014, 02:27 PM
[quote="thestooge"]The thing I have against minutes silence/applause is that they are effectively pointless, in spite of best intentions.

Half the time, those involved don't know what they're involved in or who they're showing respect to.

I've got no problem with it for the likes of Teddy Scott, someone with a lifelong association to the club getting one as a mark of thanks and respect.

I've got no problem with Cammy Smith either, though I think the connection was a little more tenuous, because I think it has, to a greater or lesser degree, raised awareness about a particular cause. I wonder how many who stood and applauded on the 26th minute have, as a result of Cammy's situation, registered as donors. Probably a few. Hopefully.

However, when we had three shows of grief/respect in about as many weeks, for Remembrance, Mandela and Cultha, and then calls this week for the loon from Edinburgh to get one, I think it's become counterproductive.

Individua

PitchMick2013
22-01-2014, 03:07 PM
That's pretty much exactly what I said, but cheers for your input anyway stooge min ;)

total_ersehole
22-01-2014, 04:48 PM

Fit???

Why would they do that when they clearly don't give a f*ck???

That's just thick.

"Hi, is that Cammy's wife?
Just calling up to tell you I don't care for these type of tributes, and i couldn't give a f*ck about the one for your husband. Just thought you'd like to know." :/

Edit: Sp

khawaga
22-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Hey, at least we've progressed from the days when we used to have 90 consecutive 1 minute silences to mourn the passing of a football at Pittodrie.

I think we can assume all points have now been as eloquently and exhaustively aired from both sides as they can be, can we hold a minute's silence for this thread and move on please?