PDA

View Full Version : McGinn

thestooge
18-01-2014, 04:25 PM
More often than not, he's been an absolute passenger this season.

Living on last years reputation.

Joey_45
18-01-2014, 04:28 PM
I don't know why McInnes won't even try him up front. I know he prefers a target man, but it's not like Vernon or Zola are doing much.

Don_Of_The_Dead
18-01-2014, 04:32 PM
I don't know why McInnes won't even try him up front. I know he prefers a target man, but it's not like Vernon or Zola are doing much.

That is exactly the problem. He scored 20+ goals being played through the middle. Yet we are using him as a winger, and for what? Vernon, Zola, Magennis? All absolute sh*te. I would judge McGinn more if he was playing in the same position and still playing as bad. Don't get me wrong he has missed some sitters. But why are we playing him wide left, when we had a wide left winger in Wylde. I trust McInnes to put things right but the reason Vernon lost his form was Brown just throwing him in the middle. Moving out best player out of position for this long is a complete joke, and it's showing in his goals and form! Why can't McInnes see he offers nothing out wide and our strikers offer nothing up front?

offshoredandyandy
18-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Agreed he is awful as a winger but decent up front everyone sees it bar mcinnes he needs to sort it out out left back gets left cos he refuses to track back . Or is found in the middle when a left mid should be giving the left back a runner

Mac013
18-01-2014, 05:02 PM
Totally agree with this! Think Mcginn has been poor 70% of the season so far. Looks wasted wide left, rarely beats a man and when he does his final ball has been very poor. What does rattle me a bit is that especially the last few games hes been seriously off form but yet never gets taken off and is never dropped to the bench..

Would defiently like to see mcginn through the middle as vernon is poor, magennis is a headless chicken and well zola doesn't offer much when on the park.

jannie_versace
18-01-2014, 05:02 PM
Poor for a few games now. He never gets subbed, though, no matter how he's playing. What we were thinking McInnes should've done, at half-time, was bring on Hayes for Vernon and stick McGinn right through the middle.

OleOle
18-01-2014, 05:07 PM
It's blatantly obvious : play McGinn through the middle and Hayes on the left. Hardly rocket science.

Pacman1903
18-01-2014, 05:08 PM
He needs dropped. If he's nae happy there then tough titties. Maybe a youngster should be tried as there are boys chomping at the bit and will give 200% given the chance wherever they are played and not act like a sulky teen.

But this is not me disagreeing with the fact he should be played through the middle because what we have is not working. And I don't understand why he hasn't been deployed there. Its me saying he needs to adjust his attitude or be dropped

redordead72
18-01-2014, 05:28 PM
It's obvious DM likes a big target man up front. Hence the Zola start to the season with Vernon to follow. Tonight we got it wrong - you need guile to break ICT down at 0-1, a physical side that just soaks up this ****e for breakfast. Pumping long balls into the box will get nothing. Look at the 4 goals away, all incisive breakaways mostly from open play. And the second half at ICT their obvious strength is in the air pumping it in. We were never going to get anything trying to play that way tonight. It's the Bootsya way.

So McGinn through the middle must have been obvious? Do we think we can beat these boys in the air?

theoninedog
18-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Its glaringly obvious fit the problem is.
(Thankfully a few posters on this topic can also see)
Mcginn's favoured position is through the middle - Play him there and he will score goals

DM has been playing him out wide to accommodate a striker through the middle.

That 'striker' has been either Zola or Vernon - both of whom are sh*te !!

Its time to start playing Mcginn back through the middle and shuffling the pack to suit him.
Up until now he's been playing Mcginn oot wide to give the pair o plugs up front a chance and its time to realise its nae working.

Opposition team managers must rub their hands when they see the team sheet and Vernon is in it . as its one less thing for them to worry about !!

(6 games without a striker scoring now -

Ten_Caats_Adventure
18-01-2014, 06:12 PM
He needs dropped. If he's nae happy there then tough titties. Maybe a youngster should be tried as there are boys chomping at the bit and will give 200% given the chance wherever they are played and not act like a sulky teen.

But this is not me disagreeing with the fact he should be played through the middle because what we have is not working. And I don't understand why he hasn't been deployed there. Its me saying he needs to adjust his attitude or be dropped

Not a great idea. Drop our most talented after a bad game? Statistically he's not far off where he was last season. And remember, he didn't play as an out and out striker every week last term either.

Knee jerk

Pacman1903
18-01-2014, 06:16 PM

Not a great idea. Drop our most talented after a bad game? Statistically he's not far off where he was last season. And remember, he didn't play as an out and out striker every week last term either.

Knee jerk[/quote]

But when was his last good game. A while ago now. Its not just one game. Even if he was our best player last year he's far from it this year. Nobody is immune to a dropping. He actually has looked dis

RedStarTorphins
18-01-2014, 06:19 PM
To be honest, he looks like a player that regrets signing a long term contract.

He's never a wide left player, but take away his goals from set pieces and penalties, it is 4 goals from open play?

Not sure we can drop him as what's the alternative?

Seems to be handcuffed to wide left as Pawlett has done well in the role behind the striker.

Maybe worth swapping them over for a couple of games?

elginred
18-01-2014, 06:24 PM
Playing McGinn up front is definitely an option worth trying.Its a temptation for some of our players(like today)to punt a ball up front when the big target man type that Mcinnes prefers,is played.
Whether its coincidence or deliberate,having wee guys up front like Inverness do,has made them cut out the hoofball and work harder to find openings.They focus on getting the ball where its most dangerous,and quickly(nae sideways pish).Midfielders come forward with the ball,pass it,and run beyond in anticipation of getting the ball again.Some of ours pass it, and leave it for the front men to conjure up something

RedStarTorphins
18-01-2014, 06:32 PM
Talk of McGinn playing as a lone striker is pointless in my opinion.

If you look at Derek McInnes all through his managerial career, not just here, he likes a big guy at "no.9".

Playing McGinn as a lone striker won't happen.

The only possible change, as I said earlier, would be to have him playing where Pawlett is just now, and playing Pawlett wide, but would that be fair to Pawlett given how he's played this season?

Maybe during games they could interchange.

The bottom line is we are in desperate need of a new centre forward.

elginred
18-01-2014, 06:46 PM
As long as Mcinnes plays the big target man because he thinks its the best option,and not because it what he's used to doing

bloodrunsred
18-01-2014, 07:09 PM
sure pawlett has improved a lot this season bit i still think he should be working a lot more with the centre forward and helping him out.
with all the criticism of vernon he is often outnumbered 2 or 3 to 1 .

TedHankey
18-01-2014, 07:11 PM
Was not impressed today.

Seemed not that interested in taking players on which is disappointing given his ability.

Maybe his performances this season give the explanation as to why he is not playing in a better league.

All our players seemed scared to take a chance today.

Got to be said a minority in the crowd were right moaning cnts for most of the game.

Ten_Caats_Adventure
18-01-2014, 07:49 PM

Knee jerk[/quote]

But when was his last good game. A while ago now. Its not just one game. Even if he was our best player last year he's far from it this year. Nobody is

FineandDandy
18-01-2014, 08:18 PM
I thought playing wide was his favourite position?
He was signed as a winger but Craig Brown played him as a striker.
Anyway agree that he seems totally wasted out on the left.
Give him a chance upfront or play him wide right with Hayes on the left

rico94
18-01-2014, 08:21 PM
More often than not, he's been an absolute passenger this season.

Living on last years reputation.

He is our top scorer this season with 9 goals even though he is playing out wide,are you suggesting we drop him? Maybe for Gregg Wylde eh no wait we just punted him

Skoskur
18-01-2014, 08:23 PM
he is getting played out of position and still is expected to be getting 20 a season. this is not going to happen

he needs to be in the middle up front, with someone along side him. caley showed today we are easily snuffed out in the midfield area and this makes our single striker useless.

torry_battery_ram
18-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Was really, really poor today and looks a player short on confidence at the moment.

I think his best position is just behind the striker but that is also Pawlett's best position so that is a problem.

As for those expecting him to be a 20 goal striker he was never that at Celtic or Brentford so its a bit much expecting this every season.

offshoredandyandy
18-01-2014, 08:48 PM
He's lazy going on what I have seen recently he is starting to get on my nerves a bit we are playing folk at left back who need a bit extra cover. , hates before and now conso and they get the opposite they end up having tondo the work of 2 as he refuses to track back or stay in position.

He refuses to make the runs into the channels as he wants to beat them all himself .

id also drop him he's got the hump and if he hasn't the. He just isn't good enough for that position .

Saying that i think he should be our striker but mcinnes seems to not want this so I think he should be dropped or told to stick to that part of the pitch he just wanders aimlessly offering next to nothing defensively and in attack ,

Oh and he isn't being played out of position this is actually his natural position (apparently) .

bobreidafc
18-01-2014, 10:57 PM
McGinn is a decent winger but on the left side he has two problems. One of which he'd have on the right side as well. There is nobody to cross to on any fast attack. That means everything is congested by the time we get men into the box. Vernon is hopeless in the air and never gets on the end of anything so who is McGinn supposed to cross to? That would be the same even if he was on the right,

Being on the left he likes to cut inside on his right or cut back to cross with his right. At least with Magennis you have a physical presence in the box and someone who on a fast attack would be in the box.

Can someone answer these questions? How many goals have we scored this season from a McGinn cross? How many goals have we scored from crosses in open play?

We've got someone whomscored 20 goals thru the middle last season and we are marginalising him.

We've got one of the best wingers in the SPL in Hayes and we aren't playing him as a winger.

Pawlett has been great thru the middle but

aurora_borealis
19-01-2014, 02:11 AM
I thought playing wide was his favourite position?
He was signed as a winger but Craig Brown played him as a striker.
Anyway agree that he seems totally wasted out on the left.
Give him a chance upfront or play him wide right with Hayes on the left

McGinn was not signed as a winger !

He was a winger at Celtic but when Brown signed him he told him he was signed as a striker and it worked. I remember McGinns interview when he said he was surprised but was happy to try as striker as he trusted Brown !

Mason89
19-01-2014, 02:22 AM
Drop him. Without going into any detail, he's not someone we can rely on. Living off last seasons performances. Cammy Bergkamp can do the job

hilton82
19-01-2014, 05:16 AM
I keep playing him we ken fit he can dee he is still top scorer . Vernon for all the effort his movement is the the problem we are having there is nae option for the likes jack flood put ba threw hence reason they sometimes get caught on the ba or move it sideways can totally understand if true we are after goodwillie its that type were needing.

scobiemacd
19-01-2014, 07:50 AM
Vernon must be f.ucking brilliant in training.

MeadowbankRed
19-01-2014, 08:14 AM
Our main problem is that we lack a decent centre forward, stating the obvious but its true. I can actually see the managers thinking having the likes of McGinn, Pawlett and Hayes feeding off a proper target man. Long term though I think Vernon and Magennis will leave in the summer as might Zola.

RichieRed93
19-01-2014, 08:38 AM
I agree with everything that has been said. For weeks now he has been doing just enough to get by but hasn't shown a lot of drive.

I noticed at the start of the season that he didn't look happy out on the wing, and he has stated in his press interviews that that's not where he wants to be playing.

He is our best striker when played through the middle, shown by his goal tally last season, and lack of goals by Vernon/Magennis/Zola.

This said, we need another striker who can convert half chances if we're to have any hope on keeping 2nd and pushing on with both cups.

jannie_versace
19-01-2014, 09:02 AM
A lot of folk are saying McGinn grabbed all his goals last season being played 'through the middle' but I think that's oversimplifying things. I don't know precise figures but think back to his strikes from then and you'll find many (more than half, I'd wager) were converted after drifting in from wide positions. He had more of a roving role rather than being played as a bona fide central striker and I think when he does start up front on his own his natural tendency is to wander out to the flanks.

So, it's a bit of a myth to say McGinn scored 20-plus goals being played through the middle - it just isn't true.

RedBanter
19-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Some say McGinn doesn't look happy playing in his role as wide as it is .

Who would be if you were doing all the running , making space , showing nice ball control and then delivering crosses to some inept bumbling donkey who can only kick the ball in the direction they are facing ?

capitalred
19-01-2014, 10:11 AM

Who would be if you were doing all the running , making space , showing nice ball control and then delivering crosses to some inept bumbling donkey who can only kick the ball in the direction they are facing ?

Rarely do his crosses beat the first man, even the one against hibs that brought our only shot on target was another failed cross.
Other players run into gaps but mcginn wont slip the ball through to them, he tries to beat another couple first letting the defence all get back or loosing the ball completel. Either try him as the striker or drop him for a game or two

Thats three or four home games combined that I doubt if we've had 6 shots on target total, hibs keeper, well keeper, caley keeper, county keeper all in danger of hypothermia, lots of pretty play in the centre of the park, very little up front.

Theredpimpernel
19-01-2014, 10:39 AM
A lot of folk are saying McGinn grabbed all his goals last season being played 'through the middle' but I think that's oversimplifying things. I don't know precise figures but think back to his strikes from then and you'll find many (more than half, I'd wager) were converted after drifting in from wide positions. He had more of a roving role rather than being played as a bona fide central striker and I think when he does start up front on his own his natural tendency is to wander out to the flanks.

So, it's a bit of a myth to say McGinn scored 20-plus goals being played through the middle - it just isn't true.

Post of the thread.
You definitely watch football.

He has gone off the boil in my view but yesterday several of our players were passengers and didn't work hard enough or as hard as ICT worked.

Derek McInnes has also stated that McGinn himself favours where he is being played.

I'd be most interested in seeing the

diego86
19-01-2014, 11:33 AM
McGinn is a great player at SPL level, as long as you play him upfront he'll do the business, problem is that if he's stuck out left then you lose what he's actually good at, you should play him up top every game and he'd easy get you 15+ every season.

offshoredandyandy
19-01-2014, 12:03 PM

You must be watching a different game to me as McGinn's crosses are lazy and if they do beat the first man they have no pace and near impossible to convert , his runs to space don't exist either he runs into the centre when needed out wide and out wide when he should be in the middle , once yesterday he done what he was meant to do outside and we almost scored .

RedBanter
19-01-2014, 12:30 PM

You must be watching a different game to me as McGinn's crosses are lazy and if they do beat the first man they have no pace and near impossible to convert , his runs to space don't exist either he runs into the centre when needed out wide and out wide when he should be in the middle , once yesterday he done what he was meant to do outside and we almost scored .[/quote]

I don't think he was ever brought in as a winger . I still think he is a class act if managed correctly .

TheAngusBull
19-01-2014, 01:16 PM
For me the problem is not McGinn in himself but that we lack creativity against teams who sit in at Pittodrie.

Then there is the issue of having ineffective target man strikers. Solve that conundrum and McGinn will get a lot more chances and space to his stuff in.

xtrmntr75
19-01-2014, 02:06 PM
It's blatantly obvious : play McGinn through the middle and Hayes on the left. Hardly rocket science.

Indeed. These guys try to make football management and tactics seem a lot more difficult than it seems to be.

McGinn does look out of sorts. The sooner Del Boy gets it sorted the better.

05car
19-01-2014, 02:11 PM
He looks to be carrying a little timber to me.

seems sluggish and unfit.

is he playing thru injury?

redross
19-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Maybe needs a rest ? But can we afford to ?

I've always said keep him up front but letting Wylde go stops that unless we sign another wide man.

Maybe playing 4-4-2 with McGinn and one of the other three would help

aleale
19-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Think at Pittodrie we need to try and adopt a new way of playing, worth a try putting McGinn up front along side Zola or Vernon, every team apart from Celtic have came here to just sit in and as we seen yesterday hit us on the counter then just sit in.

WestCoastDon
19-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Think at Pittodrie we need to try and adopt a new way of playing, worth a try putting McGinn up front along side Zola or Vernon, every team apart from Celtic have came here to just sit in and as we seen yesterday hit us on the counter then just sit in.

Yes. Even Motherwell, ICT and Hibs. Motherwell were the worst example of this because they have some good players. At least Hibs and Inverness made tried to play some football. Motherwell were playing for the draw in the hope they would get a counter attack.

TheRedFlag
19-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Glad I'm not the only person that isn't satisfied with McGinn's performances this season.

Yesterday's was a poor team performance. It would be wrong to single McGinn out for blame for the defeat BUT I have been saying that he has been off colour since the second or third hope game of the season. His performances have been average at best and his body language concerning.

He is a far better player than what we have seen so far this season and we need more from him if it is going to end with success.

Footnote
20-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Playing him as a wide roaming left AM in a 4-2-3-1 has taken away a bit of his edge and goal threat (and from the team).

But hey, we play nice pretty football at times and have lots of the ball without scoring so...

the_left_side
20-01-2014, 11:54 AM
I think McGinn now needs to be given a go as centre forward, he is decent on the left but doesnt get involved enough in that position. Got a feeling that he wants to be playing through the middle, but he is a good pro and is doing his best for the team.