PDA

View Full Version : O/T Sky TV

Leyland_Claret
19-01-2014, 04:18 PM
I had Sky installed June 2013 and signed up to multiroom buying a 2TB box for downstairs and the standard multiscreen non recordable box upstairs. The technician fitted cable that would also run a Sky+HD box upstairs. The other half wants to watch recorded stuff while I watch footy so I looked into a Sky+HD box. The box is free but they want to charge me A?60 to 'set up' this box which I think is unreasonable for literally just plugging it in. To cut a long story short I have had a very elongated 'discussion' with Sky and they will not budge and let me do a self install. I don't know the legalities of this but to quote a sky representative the charge is "to ensure that the cabling from the dish is OK and if required the engineer will replace any part of the dish, LNB to ensure that there will not be any viewing problems in the near future due to dish alignment, corrosion". Now if my cabling and dish needs this it sounds,to me,I was possibly supplied with substandard products which are

clarethomer07
19-01-2014, 04:31 PM
can't you just buy a 2nd hand box and call sky to get them to match up your viewing card to the box?

Leyland_Claret
19-01-2014, 04:36 PM
I could but they are around the A?70 mark for the same wifi box. The thing is it is cheaper to pay the A?60 set up fee but it means another 12 month contract.

Claretforever
19-01-2014, 04:42 PM
It shouldn't mean a further 12 month contract just because you are adding a service :?

Leyland_Claret
19-01-2014, 04:47 PM
To quote a Sky rep.

"We can upgrade to a free Sky+HD wifi box free of cost, however an engineer is required for doing the installation and it will cost AŁ60 one off cost and will be entering into 12 months contract period."

The cost isn't the problem but on principle I think they are out of order asking for that fee and possibly on the legal side as well.

Claretforever
19-01-2014, 04:50 PM
To be fair, the +HD boxes have a second wire going into them from the dish, so would likely need an install. I can't see a problem with being charged (maybe a little high?). I'd certainly take issue with the new contract though.

Leyland_Claret
19-01-2014, 04:52 PM
That's the thing. The correct cabling is already installed so it's literally plug it in and pair the card.

Leyland_Claret
19-01-2014, 05:01 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/huh8xw.jpg

backofthenet
19-01-2014, 05:25 PM
When are you eligible to cancel your subscription?

I have always solved my problems with sky by asking to be put through to cancellations. When you speak to them, explain why your cancelling, in your case this is because you have to pay for a second instillation.

Then ask for a supervisor to call you back so you can complain.

He WILL call you back and offer you the second instillation for free.

Leyland_Claret
19-01-2014, 05:30 PM
12 months will be up in June. If I cancel it's going to cost me for breaking my contract.

backofthenet
19-01-2014, 05:35 PM
In my experience, you have them begging for your business once you can cancel.

Can you wait till June? If so, you'll get it for free.

I have had 6 sky boxes fail over the last 12 years and have never once paid for an engineer to come out, as I always cancel and complain as to why.