PDA

View Full Version : Villa managers

iwuztherein82
19-01-2014, 05:42 PM
From sir Ron to present day how would you rate them ?

Ron Saunders
Tony Barton
Graham Turner
Billy Mcneil
Graham Taylor
Joe Venglos
Big Ron
Brian Little
John Gregoryo
Graham Taylor 2
David O Leary
Martin O Neil
Gerard Houllier
Alex Mcleish
Paul Lambert

For me

Ron Saunders
Ron Atkinson
Graham Taylor 1st stint
Martin O Neil
John Gregory/ Brian Little (can't split em)
Paul Lambert (potentially)
David O Leary
Graham Turner
Joe Venglos
Gerrard Houllier
Graham Taylor - 2 the return
Alex Mcleish
Tony Barton
Billy Mcneil

These choices are based on what these managers achieved in context of what they inherited whilst at our club ... Tony Barton might have won the European cup but I think we all know that it was nothing to do with him why we won it, he turned the best team in England into also rans in less than two years - scandalous.
Likewise Houllier and Mcleish between them turned an established top 6 side into relegation fodder. Some will wonder why joe Venglos gets such a good rati

monty1
19-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Ron Saunders
Brian Little
Ron Atkinson
Graham Taylor
Tony Barton
John Gregory
David O'Leary
Gerrard Houllier

Not much in the rest is there and bit early for Lambert, when you see it like that you see how Ellis chopping and changing managers often for no good reason has hampered our progress, Atkinson, Little and maybe Gregory should have been given more time.

DOL wasnt given any money and got us to 6th, he was scapegouat for Ellis fattening up the club to sell so he made more money. He got stick because he took so long to beat Blues I think.

Houllier was starting to show signs of getting it together at a difficult time.

iwuztherein82
19-01-2014, 06:23 PM
Agree with most of that mont, except for Barton I think he did more damage in his short tenure than most, your right about O Leary, I think he made himself unpopular with our fans with some of his comments but on the field he did ok and any manager who can sign gems like Melberg, Laursen, Bouma Solano, MIlner,(loan) must have had some hindsight ... So I am revising my list. To put O Leary above Lambert (for now) :D

birminghamborn
19-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Ron Saunders
Graham Taylor
Vic Crowe
Ron Atkinson
John Gregory
Brian Little
Tommy Docherty ( First Season)
Paul Lambert

Arran007
19-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Ron Saunders
Ron Atkinson
Graham Taylor
Brian Little
John Gregory
Tony Barton
MON
David O'Leary
Gerrard Houlier
Paul Lambert
Graham Turner
Joe Venglos
Alex McLeish
Billy McNeil

xchurchVilla
19-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Ron Saunders

(intentional head and shoulders gap)

Graham Taylor
Ron Atkinson
John Gregory
Brian Little (BL could have been higher but respect to the man for walking away when he thought he had lost it)
MOL

bongosdad
19-01-2014, 10:41 PM
MON
Saunders
Atkinson
Taylor
Lambert
DOl

Good point iwuz. DOL actually signed Bouma too. He should have been decent but his ego took over.

NuclearDevice
20-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Tricky - it all depends on what constitutes a good manager. I'm plumping for managers who asembled teams that excited, and won things. Strangely enough, the two normally seem to go together. :P

Ron Saunders
Big Ron
Martin O Neil
Graham Taylor - 1st time around
John Gregory
Brian Little

{gap}

Gerard Houllier
Paul Lambert
David O Leary

{even bigger gap}

Joe Venglos
Tony Barton
Graham Taylor 2
Alex Mcleish

{giant chasm}

Graham Turner
Billy McNeil

Ask me again tomorrow and I'm sure I'd order the middle ones differently, but top 6 and bottom 2 would remain the same.

Midland_Claret
21-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Ron Saunders
Brian Little
Ron Atkinson
Graham Taylor (1st Time)

No others worth a mention post Ron Saunders reign because I either couldn't stand them or didn't rate them (ie Mon, DOL & Gregory)

westcountryvillain
21-01-2014, 08:28 PM
Tricky - it all depends on what constitutes a good manager. I'm plumping for managers who asembled teams that excited, and won things. Strangely enough, the two normally seem to go together. :P

Ron Saunders
Big Ron
Martin O Neil
Graham Taylor - 1st time around
John Gregory
Brian Little

{gap}

Gerard Houllier
Paul Lambert
David O Leary

{even bigger gap}

Joe Venglos
Tony Barton
Graham Taylor 2
Alex Mcleish

{giant chasm}

Graham Turner
Billy McNeil

Ask me again tomorrow and I'm sure I'd order the middle ones differently, but top 6 and bottom 2 would remain the same.

I think Nuc has it spot on, would swap Little and JG around as we won the League Cup under Brian. That team played lovely football whilst JG was coach and when he left for Wycombe it all went wrong.

Could not abide DOL, almost got us relegated and can't forget Donny Rovers outplaying us for 90 mins 3-0.

My memory is not what it was but didn't Tony Barton le

Villa6Ipswich1
21-01-2014, 09:13 PM
I think that's a bit harsh on Tony Barton - back then it was before the days of wall to wall coverage and everybody having concern and insight into a football club's finances.

I think the reality was that when we won the league we were close to broke after the North Stand fiasco - prompting the sale of Gray and Gidman (jeez imagine the uproar now if something like that happened now!) In the summer of 81 our only signing was Andy Blair and there was no more signings in the summer of 82...so there could not have been the money to strengthen - and also Saunders walked out under a cloud. Then of course good ol Doug breezed back in and within 4 1/2 years we went from Champions of Europe to Second Division...and some think Lerner is the devil incarnate!

iwuztherein82
21-01-2014, 09:31 PM
Gray and Gidman were both sold in '79 by Saunders a full two seasons before we won the league... he replaced them with Swain and Withe at a fraction of the cost ...Tony Barton dismantled Ron Saunders European champions replacing them with players like Paul Rideout and Steve McMahon ... Tony Barton (god rest his soul) was a good assistant manager to Saunders ... but failed to make the step up ... and thus started our demise which culminated in Billy McNeil taking us down

Villa6Ipswich1
21-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Gray and Gidman were sold during 79/80 - only the season before...but that was not my point.

It was the fact that we were heavily in debt from the North Stand build and in the summer of 81 as Champions we really failed to add to a pretty small squad at a time when we should have and could have attracted top players. I just think Saunders knew this and walked (his contract was changed to save money as well) and Barton was left to pick up the pieces...

And for the record Steve McMahon was a top player maybe we did not see the best of him at Villa but he certainly did the business at Liverpool and Rideout was not bad - I would not mind an equivalent of either in todays squad.

alias
22-01-2014, 07:42 AM
As you know BB we have some similar tastes in things, but remind me why the "Doc" so high?

I do remember the euphoria on his appt, the "Doc is our Messiah" stickers all arounbd Brum and Walsall (many stuck everywhere by me)

But i seem to rememeber we were crap, I think we had a good run in the cup though.

By the way mate, ever heard of a singerd Dan Bern ?

Exiledvillan
22-01-2014, 05:02 PM
Like most people many of my favourites in and around the middle may change due to my mood of the day. Am I feeling all nostalgic and thinking things were better back in the day (like when curlywurlys were bigger) or am I still bitter about us never getting any credit from that 'chinny twonk from poventry' on motd.

Mr Saunders, of that there can be no doubt.
Taylor 1
Sir Brian
BFR
Gregory
mon
Hoolahoop
Paul Lambert. ONWARDS N UPWARDS :P XD XD .
dol
Tony Barton
Taylor 2
Dr Jo
Turner
big feck
silly billy, only goof to manage 2 teams to be relegated from the top flight in 1 season, us n citeh. tw@t !!!!! If he wasn't sh1t enough for citeh, we go and take him, mmmmm, thanks for that one Doug !!!

villamon1
22-01-2014, 07:34 PM
agree with 'Exciled' except 'hoolahoop' would be four places lower! I must admit personality wise i miss JG, press conferences with Taylor, Little, Mc useless or Mr Lambert aren't/weren't exactly inspiring. As much as Brian Little was a footballing legend i'd much rather watch magnolia paint dry!!

birminghamborn
22-01-2014, 09:21 PM
[quote="alias" so high?

I do remember the euphoria on his appt, the "Doc is our Messiah" stickers all arounbd Brum and Walsall (many stuck everywhere by me)

But i seem to rememeber we were crap, I think we had a good run in the cup though.

By the way mate, ever heard of a singerd Dan Bern ?[/quote]

Well Alias me old mate, I remember in early Dec 1968 being at that famous match against Charlton Athletic with just 12000 others,the Holte End all went and stood under the Directors box and demanded that the Board must go, they went and Deadly and the Doc were in.

By the end of December we had 42000 at VP for the game against Cardiff in the snow.The crowds came flooding back, 49000 against Derby and 53000 against Small Heath when Dave Simmons rammed in the winner. They were great days in Docherty's first season. He gave us back our pride and the fans loved him. It didn't wo