PDA

View Full Version : Mike Williamson

cheik
21-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Just cannot believe how much this bloke has improved. Only a year ago I cringed every time a ball was even kicked in the direction of our defence, but recently, he's been an absolute rock.

Long shot for the world cup squad? Why not?

Nufcian
21-01-2014, 07:55 PM
For me it's down to a few things, but I never got on his case last season so I'm not that surprised...

He does the simple things well
The players in front are doing a better job, especially Tiote
He's played more alongside Colo and learnt / benefitted from it
We've played better football, less route 1 with the ball being lost and coming straight back at the defence
Finally... he's had more time to get up to speed with the Prem

cheik
21-01-2014, 08:14 PM
All really good points.

When was the last time you saw a player improve so much though, after being so terrible?

ToonBadger
21-01-2014, 10:59 PM
All really good points.

When was the last time you saw a player improve so much though, after being so terrible?

Perchinio

Boxertricks
22-01-2014, 08:43 AM
As Nufcian said.

He was nowhere near as bad as some thought he was, yeah his performances deserved SOME criticism.

I've seen Cabs stat's regarding our win percentage with him in the team, I think similarly Williamson's would tell the same kind of story tbh.

That's exactly why we didn't sign another defender in the summer. 4 solid centre backs is more than enough barring a really unlucky sequence of injuries.

He's now showing his true defensive abilities with settled, mind, form and team in front of him and is also cutting out a lot of his route one tendencies, unless its necessary.

He does the simple jobs well and is aware of his limits so has either improved them or adapted his game to ensure they're not exploited as much.

I have never seen him as a liability, but I am now seeing him as one half of our first choice pairing and with Taylor and Mbiwa (I rate them both very highly) in the squad, even if its not permanently, he has proved he's good enough to play for this club rega