PDA

View Full Version : Prize Money

Gallus79
24-01-2014, 01:29 PM
As it stands we are in a good position so lets hope the players have the bottle to see us be successful this season. Allow me to dream a little here.

Great position in the League
Great position in the League Cup
Could be in a great position in the Scottish Cup if we can defeat Celtic

European place looks most likely through the league but it would be great to achieve that and a cup as then we would have money to strengthen the squad, for an assault on the Europa league format.

Been looking at potential prize monies - these probably aren't 100% accurate but they give an idea of what the club could amass financially. If anyone has more accurate info feel free to wade in...

League

2nd Position c750'000
3rd Position c500'000

Scottish Cup

Final Winner c100'000
Final TV Appearance money c100'000
1/4 of gate : c250'000
TV monies from previous rounds ??

League Cup (Similar to SC)

Final Winner c100'000
Final TV Appearance money c100'000
1/4 of gate : c250'000
TV

CaddyCarhandle
24-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Fooof just looked at Euro starting rounds for next season.

Scotland have taken a further slump down the rankings and start a round earlier than our clubs did this season.

Cup Winners or 2nd in the League start in Qual Rnd 2, which means there's 3 ties in order to get the Group.

3rd in the League is worse as you'd imagine and starts the round before which kicked off on July 2nd last year.

If we went that way and were successful we'd've played 8 Euro games (and likely 5 League ones) by the end of August.

Big squad needed.

Dec123Red
24-01-2014, 03:01 PM
we would have money to strengthen the squad, for an assault on the Europa league format.

The banks will be looking for their money first.

Regardless of how good a season we have the chances of the playing budget increasing much are slim IMO

Gallus79
24-01-2014, 03:44 PM
we would have money to strengthen the squad, for an assault on the Europa league format.

The banks will be looking for their money first.

Regardless of how good a season we have the chances of the playing budget increasing much are slim IMO[/quote]

Did think that but surely the amount of money the bank are due on an annual basis is what it is, by agreement? Or is it a case of the bank can demand as and when we take in more cash?

As Caddy says, we'd need to add to the squad if we were to tackle several qualifying rounds and make a decent start to 2014/2015.

Getting ahead of myself here I know - but the money to be made from Yoofa League is transformational for a club like us.

Meanwhile if they can crack the stadium issue and get construction under way in the background...

PitchMick2013
24-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Getting ahead of myself here I know - but the money to be made from Yoofa League is transformational for a club like us.

It wisna last time.

thestooge
24-01-2014, 04:19 PM
The cash from the last run (aye, run, nae qualifying round exit) was useful. Meant w could get Zander Diamond on an extended deal at circa 3k a week...

Gallus79
24-01-2014, 06:45 PM

It wisna last time.[/quote]

Jimmy spunked it away that's why, we are also better run now in comparison to then.

Talking ?2-3m from group stages, can't tell me that's not a lot of money for a club like us.

theram1975
24-01-2014, 06:52 PM
No idea about the cups but for the league it is 1.71 million for 2nd place.

aleale
24-01-2014, 07:34 PM
If we do qualify for Europe that's a affa amount of games to get to groups.

TheAngusBull
24-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Fooof just looked at Euro starting rounds for next season.

Scotland have taken a further slump down the rankings and start a round earlier than our clubs did this season.

Cup Winners or 2nd in the League start in Qual Rnd 2, which means there's 3 ties in order to get the Group.

3rd in the League is worse as you'd imagine and starts the round before which kicked off on July 2nd last year.

If we went that way and were successful we'd've played 8 Euro games (and likely 5 League ones) by the end of August.

Big squad needed.

Starting to get the impression that Uefa would like countries like ours to just feck off and not bother with Euro football at all.

Disgrace that the Champions of Scotland and some other countries have to play up to 2 more qualifiers than some leagues 4th placed teams.

xtrmntr75
24-01-2014, 10:39 PM
As much as a tilt at Europe would be good, another season like this would do for me. I don't think we can go spunking away decent money for a shot at something as unlikely as the Europa League groups.

Like Tab says, UEFA just don't want us in their tournaments. If we get into Europe, let's take it as it comes without any great expectation.

Ajja
24-01-2014, 10:53 PM
As has been said the money for second in the league is significantly bigger than 3rd as it exists for the benefit of our dearly departed cheek. Its around the A?1.5m so really worth pushing for even just for the A?.

I seem to remember that the 2007 run into the last 32 in Europe was worth about A?1m to us, including some good TV money from the Munich games. Not a game changer at that level and lets be honest its very unlikely that we could make the groups with our squad.

With regards funds for squad, I think we made a loss of around A?1.5m last year (?) so most of the extra income we might get this season will go to ensuring we make a small profit. I would expect the budget to be along similar lines next season.

WestCoastDon
24-01-2014, 11:02 PM
As has been said the money for second in the league is significantly bigger than 3rd as it exists for the benefit of our dearly departed cheek. Its around the A?1.5m so really worth pushing for even just for the A?.

I seem to remember that the 2007 run into the last 32 in Europe was worth about A?1m to us, including some good TV money from the Munich games. Not a game changer at that level and lets be honest its very unlikely that we could make the groups with our squad.

With regards funds for squad, I think we made a loss of around A?1.5m last year (?) so most of the extra income we might get this season will go to ensuring we make a small profit. I would expect the budget to be along similar lines next season.

You are forgetting that the club will also earn around 1.5M more from gate receipts for additional home tickets and cup run this season?

RedStarTorphins
24-01-2014, 11:20 PM
The Europa League is a poisoned chalice.

Unless you get to the group stages of the Europa League there's a good chance Scottish teams will make a financial loss.

Motherwell did last year when they drew a decent Russian mob whose I can't remember, but ultimately they were not a big, and was a logistical nightmare to get to.

Factor in the fact you play Thursday/Sunday, affecting your domestic form, you do wonder if it's worth it.

Don't get me wrong, if you get to the league stages (very unlikely) then you get a couple of good games to look forward to and a good trip away, but failing that, then I'm not to fussed about playing some Romanian/Russian team that are worth a squillion points in scrabble but would in all likelihood be too good for us.

That all said, it's great to be thinking realistically about Europe.

torry_battery_ram
24-01-2014, 11:38 PM
Unfortunately due to having not been in Europe since the Sigma Olomouc disaster we are now ranked 290th in Europe so the likelihood of qualifying is we will probably face a much better team as we are unlikely to be seeded in any round.

Sad times for Scottish football as a whole, just think back to the 80s when we won the ECWC and Super Cup, the Pikeys got to a UEFA Final and a European Cup Semi Final and even Hearts reached a Quarter Final in the UEFA.

The prize money for finishing 2nd would be good but I think winning a Cup would mean much much more to most fans than the possibility of being 2nd.

theram1975
25-01-2014, 01:53 AM

The difference between 2nd and 3rd is slightly over 250k

The only massive gap in the payments is between 1st and 2nd.

Inverdons
25-01-2014, 08:15 AM

The difference between 2nd and 3rd is slightly over 250k

The only massive gap in the payments is between 1st and 2nd.[/quote]

Not necessarily saying you are wrong(I can't find this prize money information online - anyone know where to find it?) but if that's the case they have certainly changed this recently then as it was clearly weighted in favour of the top two in the old SPL. I can't remember them changing it but that doesn't mean it didn't happen to be fair.

thegrunter
25-01-2014, 08:18 AM
There was a thread on SPL prize money a couple of weeks ago

See if I can find it

Dumfries_Sheep94
25-01-2014, 08:42 AM
Prize money for this season.

1: 2,405,514
2: 1,717,454
3: 1,460,555
4: 1,288,629
5: 1,202,757
6: 1,116,884
7: 1,056,701
8: 1,005,142
9: 987,895
10:902,023
11:816,150
12:730,277

Gallus79
25-01-2014, 09:23 AM
Dumfries sheep where did you find that-?

However that seems to be a season total (including the standard TV money which is?) nevertheless it's up from 750k which is good news.

Regarding the talk of losing money to Qualify to Europe, the money possibly made from a cup run prize money will cover the travel costs.

Also, may well have 3 rounds to play but that's three gates at Pittodrie which will more than pay for away legs costs-! Clubs like MWell are diddies, no wonder they made a loss.

We have a decent team here. If we can tinker/add quality in the summer (potentially with prize money) then we should sweep aside the average teams we would meet in Q1/Q2 and be able to have a good crack at a Dnipro equivalent in Q3.

All hypothetical, but nice to consider.

Dumfries_Sheep94
25-01-2014, 12:04 PM
I didn't find it personally Gallus it was posted on here a few weeks ago so I saved it for future reference.