PDA

View Full Version : statistical analysis bores

the_quoon
03-02-2014, 01:57 PM
excellent article on why stats merchants will never really get football. - view external link (http://t.co/pBM3rajp28)

sheffieldturfite
03-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Excellent article in the entertaining sense, but rubbish in the educational sense.

There is a big difference between the stats Dyche sees and the minor glimpse we are given. There is also a flaw in the Cleverley comment because that is a flaw in what is being recorded not in the strength of stats in general.

I once recruited an analyst to prepare a market analysis programme for one of my companies and our sales went up 50% the next year because we stopped making bad decisions using "cognitive bias", using our head and no longer our heart. I've been convinced as to the value of analytics ever since and I think football, being overly emotional, has an even bigger reason to use them. I'm glad BFC do.

the_quoon
03-02-2014, 05:00 PM
pretty sure clubs' use of analysis and stats wasn't really the point - of course they should use them.

i recently witnessed a debate on twitter when mata signed for united between city and united fans using heat maps to prove who was better; mata or david silva.

its a pointless argument, obviously, but thats who the article is really talking about. they don't deserve football.

LancasterClaret
03-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Deloitte and Touche report anyone?

Jamb0MackemClaret
03-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Totally agree. You should like football the way I say is the correct one, not your way, which is incorrect.

hampsteadclaret
03-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Post 2
'I once recruited an analyst to prepare a market analysis programme for one of my companies'...
Get you Sheffield...:D ;D world domination just around the corner..I am in my local and Bill Gates was in 'ere earlier askin' for your mobile number...if I ever get the push can I come and do a few hours for you..?..please