PDA

View Full Version : RATTLES and ROSETTES

Archiemiller
04-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Did you have either or both? I had a rattle bought for christmas 1960 a think mi mother got it from Broomheads in Parkgate,a painted it red then put up the millers in white on front,no idea how much they cost at the time.Can remember the rosette sellers that stood on masbro street shouting "get ya rosettes here" think they were a tanner apiece in early 60s...my wife made me a rosette in 96 with "millers at wembley" on it that brought memories back. We had no club shop in them days and very few sports shops,can you remember who sold em,Get ya thinking caps on.

CAMiller
04-02-2014, 07:36 PM
[quote="Archiemiller" on it that brought memories back. We had no club shop in them days and very few sports shops,can you remember who sold em,Get ya thinking caps on.[/quote]

Remember them well, wanted both but got neither :-(

I also remember Broomheads in Parkgate and Suggs and Danny Williams in Rotherham as favourite shops as a kid along with a sports shop in Mexborough.

Yooreds
04-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Never had any rosettes but had two rattles, a red and white one and a varnished wooden one with "play up Rotherham" embossed in red on it which, I suspect in hindsight, was very old even then.

I do still have my 1960's pennant though with a player (Brian Tiler in my imagination) on it in the red shirt/white shorts combo we wore before Doc changed us to all red.

Siandche
04-02-2014, 07:42 PM
I've got a wooden football rattle my daughter made for me at school complete with plastic 'millers' insert...priceless!!

mikemiller
04-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Yes, I had both, although the rattle was only a mini-version. Some of the rattles in the 1960s were quite big and would have weighed more than a housebrick, so would have been too heavy for a young child to use. Also had a rosette signed by George Best at the FA Cup match at Millmoor on his way into the ground..unfortunately it later got lost at home.
Bought lots of stuff from Danny Williams shop, and also talked to the great man himself. I remember buying that cricket "hexagonal-dice" game "Howzat!" in Danny Williams shop .Also used to buy stuff like darts in Suggs too.

Rosettes always seemed to be very popular with fans for F.A. Cup ties

Hugepugeboznherbie
04-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Dint have a rattle mi sen,but a kno who did...ADA!!!!...bloody hell that woman freetened me!!!

1960smiller
04-02-2014, 08:49 PM
Archie I can remember going to villa park 1968 FA cup 4th round,rattles,rosettes& the school bell from haugh rd school,when rotherham scored we lost the school bell.When we got back to school Hinchcliffe sent us to see sutcliffe the headmaster to explain about the bell,he asked us if we enjoyed it & said well done,now go back & tell him you have had the stick & we will leave it at that.

shiregreenmillers
04-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Archie I can remember going to villa park 1968 FA cup 4th round,rattles,rosettes& the school bell from haugh rd school,when rotherham scored we lost the school bell.When we got back to school Hinchcliffe sent us to see sutcliffe the headmaster to explain about the bell,he asked us if we enjoyed it & said well done,now go back & tell him you have had the stick & we will leave it at that.What peter sutcliffe was your headmaster :s :s :s :s :s :s :s

ScarboroughMiller
04-02-2014, 09:10 PM
As a kid in the 60's and early 70's I had a rosette, seem to remember having a spiny rattle but not 100% sure, they made a right racket, maybe we should re introduce them as a Rotherham thing?
I also remember Ada, bless her, she always took her rattle to the games. :)

jolly_roger
04-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Rattles and rosettes were both symbols of post war austerity.

The rattles were originally a means of warning against gas attack, for use in the blackout, intended to be a noise that couldnt be anything else.

Rosettes were a cheaper version of team colours rather than coloured wool scarves and could be made at home from scrap cloth rather than scarcer wool.

wrinkly
04-02-2014, 09:17 PM
[quote="Archiemiller" on it that brought memories back. We had no club shop in them days and very few sports shops,can you remember who sold em,Get ya thinking caps on.[/quote]

Ey up Archie
Whenever anyone mentions rosettes it reminds me of our old mate TK.

He had one about a foot and a half across which he wore for the cup tie at Spurs.

We were on the Holmes Hotel bus.
Our coach was parked at Kings Cross and after the match we were heading to Old Kent Road, Thomas A Beckett etc. for a "lively" night out.

This meant we were not with the main b

1960smiller
04-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Archie I can remember going to villa park 1968 FA cup 4th round,rattles,rosettes& the school bell from haugh rd school,when rotherham scored we lost the school bell.When we got back to school Hinchcliffe sent us to see sutcliffe the headmaster to explain about the bell,he asked us if we enjoyed it & said well done,now go back & tell him you have had the stick & we will leave it at that.What peter sutcliffe was your headmaster :s :s :s :s :s :s :s[/quote]Is your New inn landlady a creamer from Rawmarsh.

shiregreenmillers
04-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Archie I can remember going to villa park 1968 FA cup 4th round,rattles,rosettes& the school bell from haugh rd school,when rotherham scored we lost the school bell.When we got back to school Hinchcliffe sent us to see sutcliffe the headmaster to explain about the bell,he asked us if we enjoyed it & said well done,now go back & tell him you have had the stick & we will leave it at that.What peter sutcliffe was your headmaster :s :s :s :s :s :s :s[/quote]Is your New inn landlady a creamer from Rawmarsh.[/quote] Yes she is a creamer

mikemiller
04-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Yes, Ada did always have a rattle with her at the match. It was painted in club colours, and it was a big'un!

ScarboroughMiller
04-02-2014, 10:35 PM
When did Ada die?

mikemiller
04-02-2014, 10:54 PM
Not sure...must be at least 20 years ago? Someone on this site will know

CTMilller
05-02-2014, 03:36 AM
Similar story to Archiemiller.

Bought my rattle in 1960 but got it from Suggs. Price 7/6. (37.5 pence in new money.)It was a double bladed jobby and plain wood. The single bladed ones were 3/9. I think I had some money for Christmas and bought it myself.

Having seen the other rattles in use at the time I painted it red and white and also wrote "Up the Millers" on it in white paint. It did make a great noise and I was exceptionally proud of it. Traveling to matches on the bus from The Brecks, us kids we would get them going and be told off by the conductor for making too much noise.

I always coveted a rosette but could never quite afford one from regular pocket money. (The entrance fee was two shillings if I recall so, after the bus fare and a programme, I had nout left. I wasn't one of the fortunate ones who went with a dad interested in football so it was all out of my own money.

If anybody has a photograph of their rattle or one of the rosettes I would dearly love to see it on

M0ZZA
05-02-2014, 06:11 AM
I couldn't afford one from Danny Williams or Suggs so I got mine from the army stores. It was a big heavy beast treated with creosote and took 2 hands to use it.

I remember sitting on the wall at back of Tivoli rattling away when a bloke turned around and took it from me because I was deafening him. He did give it back after final whistle.

tom12026
05-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Yes, I had both, although the rattle was only a mini-version. Some of the rattles in the 1960s were quite big and would have weighed more than a housebrick, so would have been too heavy for a young child to use. Also had a rosette signed by George Best at the FA Cup match at Millmoor on his way into the ground..unfortunately it later got lost at home.
Bought lots of stuff from Danny Williams shop, and also talked to the great man himself. I remember buying that cricket "hexagonal-dice" game "Howzat!" in Danny Williams shop .Also used to buy stuff like darts in Suggs too.

Rosettes always seemed to be very popular with fans for F.A. Cup ties
I got my Owzat from Danny,s and I,ve still got it-I know SAD.:D

Archiemiller
05-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Typical MOZ always causing trouble!!!! Great to hear your stories,wunt it be a good for a pub or supporters bar close to NYS.(RATTLES n ROSETTES)when we get rid of Guest n chrimes(dream on). Can remember in early 60s a mate of mine was good at drawing cartoon characters he drew a Rother Bird on a piece of plywood,it was about 3ft tall and we had it cut out by a bloke who had a little joiners shop on Kilnhurst Rd,we painted it exactly same as on old supporters club badge and then screwed it to a 3ft piece of 2x2 JOB DONE. Can remember taking it to Wolves in 65(F.A.Cup)and following season to Bury,before that game one of Holmes gang(cant remember his)run on pitch wi rother bird and stuck it on centre spot,gorra r8 cheer from millers following.We lost that game 6-1 and Ray Pointer scored 5(i think)always high scoring games against Bury in them days.Just like mi rattle dont know what happened to Rother Bird,great era mid 60s but so is THIS. U.T.M.

The_Red_House
05-02-2014, 01:30 PM
AM - I had a rattle which I painted red and white using Humbrol enamel. It fell to bits in use at the away cup tie against Burnley in the 1960's.
I also remember the Holmes gang but not the incident that you recall.Possible members were Dave Tidy, Helliwell, and "Bugsy" - allegedly.

vespabri
05-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Ive got a rattle..its called "the wife".

wrinkly
05-02-2014, 09:34 PM
[quote="Archiemiller"]Typical MOZ always causing trouble!!!! Great to hear your stories,wunt it be a good for a pub or supporters bar close to NYS.(RATTLES n ROSETTES)when we get rid of Guest n chrimes(dream on). Can remember in early 60s a mate of mine was good at drawing cartoon characters he drew a Rother Bird on a piece of plywood,it was about 3ft tall and we had it cut out by a bloke who had a little joiners shop on Kilnhurst Rd,we painted it exactly same as on old supporters club badge and then screwed it to a 3ft piece of 2x2 JOB DONE. Can remember taking it to Wolves in 65(F.A.Cup)and following season to Bury,before that game one of Holmes gang(cant remember his)run on pitch wi rother bird and stuck it on centre spot,gorra r8 cheer from millers following.We lost that game 6-1 and Ray Pointer scored 5(i think)always high scoring games against Bury in them days.Just like mi rattle dont know what happened to Rother Bird,great era mid 60s but s