PDA

View Full Version : Beckham announces MLS team

Notrigsbyscat
05-02-2014, 06:27 PM
based in Miami. And apparently will build, with a consortium, a new stadium.

No other details, but this addresses the "where" bit. - view external link (http://splashurl.com/lk3cosx)

I_Wood_Lovett
05-02-2014, 08:10 PM
A money making venture for the benefit of ex-Premiership footballers and American youth ... instead of investing in the grass roots development of under-privileged young UK talent.

He will still get his knighthood though.

Notrigsbyscat
05-02-2014, 08:44 PM
not sure that's fair I_W_L

his option to do this was part of his package to go to the MLS in the first place, so investing in English football at any level is not really relevant here, unless we wanted him to become our very own mystery investor ;D

Oh, and he ran around in just underwear for H&M in a Superbowl advert

jtv
05-02-2014, 08:55 PM
His or Victoria's?

enola_gay
05-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Another very good player who didn't fit nicely into the cookie-cutter and was distrusted as a result.

Sometimes you can't help but think that teams full of Milners and Bresnans are all British sports fans deserve.

I_Wood_Lovett
05-02-2014, 08:58 PM
I think that it is fair enough - after all it was Beckham's people who negotiated the options and his overall package in the first place.

I am quite sure that he has the means or can attract investment to set up a similar venture in this country.

stalbansclaret
05-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Yes enola let's all rise up and protest about the snubbing of David Beckham by the British public.
And there was me thinking he is ridiculously worshipped by the media as an uber-perfect celebrity god for the brainwashed masses.
I'll stop disliking his overly-groomed, media-trained blandness now and start to see him as a rebel representative of non-conformist maverick talent everywhere

Sidney1st
05-02-2014, 09:09 PM
Why would he want to do something similar over here?

I don't know all the ins and outs of his deal but if I had a choice of setting up in Miami or somewhere over here , I'd be waving goodbye to England.

Besides , he's always said he wants to make 'soccer' more mainstream in the USA.

taio
05-02-2014, 09:13 PM
He is free to spend his time, energy and resources wherever he sees fit. Given how well established football is in this country and across Europe, it's easy to understand why he is targeting the USA. More grass roots development in England could easily come from a relatively minor redistribution of the enormous wealth that currently exits within football in this country, rather than expecting Beckham to make any impact here.

enola_gay
05-02-2014, 09:22 PM
As bizarre overreactions go, stalbansclaret, that was pretty impressive.

I_Wood_Lovett
05-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Beckham has the personal wealth, contacts and brand infrastructure to do pretty much what he likes - where he wants to.

He won't personally take much interest in his Miami 'soccer' club after the first year's publicity.

If it was his boyhood dream to own a football club, as he claimed, he would have gone back to his roots that he spouted about during the Olympics,

There was a golden opportunity then for him to support one of the bids to own the Olympic Stadium that was built on the fields where he apparently learnt his boyhood football skills.

stalbansclaret
05-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Thank you enola :D

claretnorthwest14
05-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Fair play to him, for the weather alone.

I was under the impression he was pretty popular with the majority of English people, male and female? But then I've moved on from summer 98.

yorksclaret
05-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Fair play to him setting up a football club from scratch. Guess they'll have to start at the bottom and work their way up through the leagues through hard work and endeavour and one day they may achieve their dream of reaching the MLS.

What's that?...

yesTHATironingboard
06-02-2014, 02:07 AM
And there was me thinking he is ridiculously worshipped by the media as an uber-perfect celebrity god for the brainwashed masses.
I'll stop disliking his overly-groomed, media-trained blandness now and start to see him as a rebel representative of non-conformist maverick talent everywhere

my word.

if only a complete stranger would take such a perverse interest in my life.

gogogadgetlegs
06-02-2014, 02:09 AM
Who if they had the dosh wouldnt put into their own team or Their OWN team. The guy is a money magnet and does what he loves and what we would love to do.

Good on him.

edison
06-02-2014, 11:18 AM
I really hope hes the franchise the Sound Machine.

jt_claret
06-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Fair play to him.

He's just playing Football Manager in real life (the ones where you build the stadium etc), and he's even go the cheat so you can make it really good right at the start.
- Not a bad way to spend play money if you ask me.

And do to the fact 'Soccer' isn't what it is over here, means football fans won't jump down his throat for do so.

Rileybobs
06-02-2014, 12:54 PM
It is a bit of a shame from a selfish point of view that he isn't working on a similar youth-development project in this country. However, he can do exactly what he wants with his time and money so good luck to him.

There will always be jealous people ready to criticise those more successful...and better looking...and more talented...

Notrigsbyscat
06-02-2014, 03:13 PM
there's a couple of aspects of this worth discussing

1. that he (and his partners) are looking to build a stadium that does NOT seek State/County funding from public funds. I guess most of us would find that a boring aspect, but it's akin to building a mini-Wembley without all the public inquiries, funding and delays.

2. What change in dynamics his team will bring, meaning who will he attract, and does it finally make MLS as a viable alternative for younger talent to the English/Spanish/German/Italian leagues?

ablueclaret
06-02-2014, 03:15 PM
The man's got too much money.

The Bedlington Terrier
06-02-2014, 04:27 PM
Good luck to the lad!

permafrost
06-02-2014, 05:24 PM
All of a sudden we have a say with what other people do with their money?.
let him do what he wants, it's his to spend.
Always seemed like one of the least arrogant people you could meet.

ablueclaret
06-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Bore them like Beckham, gone to the right place, one of our best exports.

Notrigsbyscat
06-02-2014, 06:08 PM
you feeling OK blue? It's not like you to replace considered discussion for outright, opinionated, Beckham-focused bigotry

ClaretMatt4
06-02-2014, 06:37 PM
What stalbans said was spot on.

I don't mind Beckham, I don't know why anybody would, but the media circus that follows him is a joke.

karatekid
07-02-2014, 06:46 PM
I say good luck to him and I for one will watch on with interest and a certain amount of envy I dare say. There are worse jobs !

Also its not becks responsibility to help grass roots football in the UK . It is ,or should, be the responsibility of the top clubs who gain a huge income from TV subscribers. The same people who go and participate in junior and Sunday league football.The majority of whom give their time foc.
Proffesional football clubs reap the rewards of their hard work and commitment.