PDA

View Full Version : i wouldnt be too fussed if we didn't go up.

thelifeofbrian
09-02-2014, 06:44 AM
This might upset a few of the slightly deranged loyalists but theses are my reasons.

I live in Berkshire so look forward to away games. If we went up getting a ticket at any away ground is very difficult.

I like the championship. Its exciting and entertaining.

Part time supporters. These people come out of the woodwork for the perm league and are only around for the short term.

We will struggle and not enjoy the campaign. Last time we went up was a nightmare and we've only just recovered

So, these are my reasons, I'm enjoying this season and want us to do well but if we don't get promoted its not the end of the world

taio
09-02-2014, 06:57 AM
Each to their own I suppose.

Personally I really enjoyed our season in the premier league.

We need the financial rewards of being in the premier league.

I'm not bothered about part time supporters - we need them too.

I'm really enjoying this season and that's because we are realistic contenders for promotion to the premier league.

Don't understand the deranged loyalists comment.

CaptJohn
09-02-2014, 07:03 AM
You are living in cloud cuckoo land I'm sorry to say. The buzz the whole club got from that last promotion was wonderful and I just feel that the whole experience will stand us in good stead if we are lucky enough to go up.

BobLordsFridge
09-02-2014, 07:13 AM
The money involved in promotion could be ***** to us.

If nothing else it should finally allow us to redevelop the two old stands.

Claretforever
09-02-2014, 07:38 AM
When we were losing to all our rivals in March 2010 I remember distinctly thinking 'get us out of this league!' It was depressing being beaten week after week and knowing the inevitable was coming. The first 4-5 months though were brilliant!!!

I still want us to go back up though. It's about A?120m we need, with some of that needed for redevelopment work of the older stands, particularly the CFS.

ClaretMatt4
09-02-2014, 07:47 AM
The reason in part, as to why we are enjoying this little promotion push is because of our year in the PL.

It's a league dominated by money, if you can't beat em join em.

Plus, if we get up and stay up... who knows what would happen!

lesxdp
09-02-2014, 07:50 AM
Can't understand the OP logik, or agree with it. Apart from it maybe easier to obtain tickets for away games surely the point of supporting any team in any sport is to win things. In football the prize for winning in the championship is the opportunity to play against better teams in the Premier League. Added to that the tremendous and needed financial benefits, including if we are later relegated,I for one would be more than happy to go and spend at least one more season in the top league.

Montevideo
09-02-2014, 08:04 AM
"i wouldnt be too fussed if we didn't go up"

Can't tell whether OP is trolling us or is Steve Kean's autistic cousin ?

NottsClaret
09-02-2014, 08:08 AM
That's the problem with the Premier League and its money. We need to get there so we can buy and pay the wages of people like Shackell, Ings and Tripps. One season gives us three or four years of watching them instead of Mo Camara and Graham Branch.

But I know what the OP means, if the money wasn't such an issue, being a good Championship club suits me fine. You can hardly predict the score of any game before kick off, you don't get 80% of teams playing to simply avoid relegation and you can still get some tickets to away games for A?20.

The reality is though, we're only enjoying this season so much because of the financial windfall we won four or five years ago.

celts
09-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Fair enough to the OP, he has his point of view, Though why he has to insult people by describing them as deranged, I really don't know.

I'd love Burnley to go up. It's ***** for the long term survival of the club.

It's important to the economy and inward investment of the town.

It's important for the upgrading of ground.

Next season will be difficult which ever league we're in because if we don't go up we will have to sell some of our better players to pay the bills. I would think the manager will be looking to move on in this situation as well.

So we might as well struggle in the league above where we can get the revenue to develop the club, rather than die of a thousand cuts.

And the icing on the Cake, being able to ask Blackburn fans how life is in the division below! B)

Quicknick
09-02-2014, 08:42 AM
No reason under SD why we couldn't stop up. If we manage promotion thus season I will be expecting us to stay up unlike last time when I thought we'd come down.

ClaretMatt4
09-02-2014, 08:45 AM
We have to get there first... One game at a time!

yorksclaret
09-02-2014, 08:45 AM
I would certainly say that the journey is far more exciting than the destination.

Just a shame the glory supporters don't realise this and come support the lads this season.

davet
09-02-2014, 08:55 AM
I believe the directors share the OP thoughts... they too have difficulty getting tickets and they are not worried about money next year. They are aware that a promoted club has the option of staying down so they can be happier in the championship.

LancasterClaret
09-02-2014, 08:59 AM
Then it shows (if what you say has any foundation) that the directors are as completely unprepared for it as they were last time.

We need the money the premiership brings.

Its as simple as that

I sometimes think that the elder generation who post on this board believe that they can somehow turn back time and we can bumble along doing our own thing in our own little corner of East Lancs.

Move with the times please, its here whether you like it or not.

cricketfield72
09-02-2014, 09:14 AM
I think the OP raises some valid points, I think our season in the Prem wasn't always all that enjoyable. In fact, the obvious games apart, pretty forgettable really.

"I would certainly say that the journey is far more exciting than the destination.

Just a shame the glory supporters don't realise this and come support the lads this season."

Good point, yorksclaret.

"The money involved in promotion could be ***** to us.

If nothing else it should finally allow us to redevelop the two old stands."

HANDS OFF - THE BOB LORD STAND DOES NOT NEED REDEVELOPING.

davet
09-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Lancaster did you really take that seriously

DiBranchio
09-02-2014, 09:23 AM
This is the sort of thread that gets started when people get up at silly o'clock on a Sunday morning. :)

'Deranged loyalists? :?

davet
09-02-2014, 09:25 AM
I should have saved it for an April 1st spoof

LancasterClaret
09-02-2014, 09:27 AM
You've got previous for ridiculous statements that make no sense.

You've got contacts in the boardroom with directors who didn't exactly deal with the situation well last time.

I also qualify my post with "if there is any foundation in what you say".

ablueclaret
09-02-2014, 09:29 AM
The Championship is the best League in the UK but we certainly don't want to be staying in it.

This is the last year this side will have a chance of promotion, after that its back to rebuilding.

Promotion is our best bet of remaining viable as a club, without it we'll lose a manager, our best players and will be looking at a downward trajectory again.

Promotion is ***** for this club if it is to have a Championship and above future.

LancasterClaret
09-02-2014, 09:32 AM
You do come out with a load of crap sometimes ablue, but that one is spot on.

ablueclaret
09-02-2014, 09:37 AM
I cannot wait for my own demise. Another 20 years on here doesn't bear thinking about, from anybodys perspective.

JohnAngusFan
09-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Strewth I agree with abc. :s

Jamb0MackemClaret
09-02-2014, 09:57 AM
Nowt against the Championship but if you enjoy watching Trippier, Ings and I'd argue Shackell you best make the most of it as they'll only be around next year if we go up.

PaytonJames
09-02-2014, 10:08 AM
I'm still bemused by how everyone presumes promotion to the Prem solves all financial problems when in reality it brings obscene wage bills, astronomical transfer fees etc. How many recently relegated teams from the Prem are reaping the financial benefits? Us, Wigan, B'burn, Bolton, Blackpool? Promotion to the Premiership means all the playing staff get rich whilst clubs are left with crippling wage bills. I'm just trying to emphasise that the promotion is'nt just a 90 million quid prize like is sometimes portrayed.

ablueclaret
09-02-2014, 10:25 AM
That's largely because they've got owners who pump money into them. we have got to play a totally different game.

(1) Try to keep players on a decent but not inflated Premiership wage with proportionate wage cuts if relegated.

(2)Recruit young players who have already shown ability, not wishful thinking signings.

(3)Build an academy

(4)Keep squad to 22 at max, 20 preferably.

(5)Invest in the side in the summer only, loans in the New Year.

(6)Keep SD with big bonus if he keeps us up but have new manager lined up in case he leaves who employs a similar method.

Do that and we'll be fine for a few years.

evergreen54
09-02-2014, 10:25 AM
The financial rewards are to good to not want promotion and 90% of all clubs need this chance to survive...

Last time we were only a couple of results away from staying up and this time the structure of the club is much better especially the playing side, we have a more able squad than last time who must be chomping at the bit to pit themselves against the best, any one who has played sport cant deny our players that...

I doubt we could attract a big enough investor to equal the cash the premiership has to offer, so we have to take it...

anyway the fans deserve these rewards to watch the best in the land each week as they are the ones that put their bums on seats week in week out

And finally as previously mentioned the up grading of the stands and training facilities is an obvious benefit from promotion money

Bring it on UTC

evergreen54
09-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Oh and just as important, beat that lot down the road,while we wave bye bye to em perfect icing on the cake

stalbansclaret
09-02-2014, 10:53 AM
It's undeniably the truth that we will lose our best players if we don't go up but the tone of some of the posts on this thread is a touch under-appreciative of the miracle that is being worked by the club at the moment. To say "the fans deserve these rewards" is an odd statement...do we "deserve" promotion more than fans of other clubs then ?
If we go up I will be ecstatic, and the impact it has on the club is fantastic...full house crowds, great intensity of football, media profile etc...but lets appreciate that to be performing as we are, on our financial and crowd base, is phenomenal. If we do not go up it should not really be considered a failure but sadly it probably will because of the financial realities.

ablueclaret
09-02-2014, 11:03 AM
It won't be a failure but it will be devastasting because it will mean we've missed out in the play-offs always hard to get over, and more so when you know your manager and best players will leave.It will herald tough times.

Claretforever
09-02-2014, 11:09 AM
Payton, I don't think anyone suddenly thinks we'll get A?120m (it's gone up now I think from A?90m). We know the wages will go up, and the consequences of relegation are plain to see. Let's say A?60m goes on rich players and their wages, that would leave A?60m for 5 years on average - yes I've made this up.

Our promotion in 2009 meant that we've had 5 years now of living slightly beyond our natural means. It wasn't all spent on players wages, and some money in my mind can't be accounted for regardless of the p&l accounts, but take a look inside the club. I was at a do last night in the suites within the Bob Lord stand, and have enjoyed some corporate stuff this year. It is a million times better (aesthetically) and more professional than 5-10 years ago.

If we're lucky enough to go up then I hope we get another 5 years or more of living above our natural means.

lotty1
09-02-2014, 11:37 AM
As one of the older supporters you refer to Lancy , yes I'd love to turn back time for the simple reason that I enjoyed football far more years ago than I do now whilst realising I have to move on .

Change is inevitable but not all change is good change and I personally feel that the Premiership has brought far more bad than good into the English game ; in fact as I've said many times imo it's totally ruined the game . To me it's no longer a game it's a marketable branded cash cow which is/has ruined many a club and will continue to do so unless someone has the balls to do something about it . Sadly that may not happen in my lifetime .

BelialofBacup
09-02-2014, 12:21 PM
OP - I come out of the woodwork for a perm about twice a year, and yes, it's usually short term too, and it's getting more difficult with half of it falling out!

Seriously though, a few years in the top flight could see us get a decent amount of finance in, yes we won't be able to shell out fortunes, but it will allow us to improve the ground and infrastructure if nothing else. Plus, there's more chance of us holding on to Danny, Trips, Sean etc if we do go up, whereas if we don't, it's likely that at least a couple of them will go in the summer.

And as posted earlier - to have bragging rights over the barstewards is an added bonus...

thewellernut70
09-02-2014, 12:41 PM
It's all me me me with regards to the OP. Forget the much needed 100 million quid,so long as the OP is happy we're ok

Bin_Ont_Turf
09-02-2014, 12:51 PM
An absolute load of nonsense (not for the first time).

Did the OP manage to get shut of his 10,000 pound 'barrel of whiskey'?

GRAPIDIANCLARET
09-02-2014, 01:39 PM
I am much more optimistic about this squad and especially this manager in the premier league.
If we can survive the first season should we go up,and the board keep us on a sound financial footing,they would be building a fantastic financial platform for the future of Burnley Football club.
It would be a fantastic achievement to get back up there and staying up there would be even better.
With the way the football cards are stacked against football communities like Burnley,I believe it would be one of the greatest achievements of a club with a great history and a great future.

Rileybobs
09-02-2014, 02:04 PM
It's very rare that you'll get to see such a talented 'group' of players in a Burnley shirt with our budget. If you enjoy watching this current side then you really do want us to gain promotion because a number of them won't be wearing that shirt otherwise.

PaytonJames
09-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Promotion would indeed be a remarkable feat and one in the eye for all the clubs who spend millions to get their. It would be great if clubs looked to us as an example and decided to buck the trend of recent years and realise that the Burnley way is the way forward, and gradually bring some much needed prudence, dignity and sanity to the game. I just hope the media don't overlook the polarised approach of ourselves to QPR and Leicester. This really could be a victory for game in general. Surely owners will start to question spending obscene amounts of money when Burnley proove it can be done the right way, by cutting your cloth and using savvy initiative.

leightonorient30
09-02-2014, 02:17 PM
I understand the sentiment of the posting, even if I don't agree with it.
The Premiership experience was soured by the departure of Owen Coyle.
It was not as enjoyable as the promotion season itself. The TV schedules determined when I could watch a game, which completely messes up our social routines based around a 3pm kick off on a Saturday or 7.45 on a Tuesday.
If it means we have money to invest in the club infrastructure that can only be a good thing.

Alp12Mac
09-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Join the Clarets Foundation and you will be able to secure a ticket for every away fixture.

jimmymaccer
09-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Feed at the trough whilst the food lasts! Don't thy pay for away travel in th Prem now!!!

thelifeofbrian
09-02-2014, 05:36 PM
I'm still selling my barrel of whisky, it's another year older so the price has increased...

sheffieldturfite
09-02-2014, 06:36 PM
"The Championship is the best League in the UK but we certainly don't want to be staying in it. This is the last year this side will have a chance of promotion, after that its back to rebuilding."

I agree with the first Ablue statement but not the second.

We will come close to break even this season unless the board are lying. Then next season we have an eight million parachute hole to fill. Selling Danny and Trip could get us A?12-15m, that would be enough to break even again plus a bit of rebuilding. It is not inconceivable Barnes could step up, then it's only a right back we need to find.

Then financial fair play comes into it - other sides may start to implode.

It wouldn't be the disaster people imply. But let's still try to get out of this division so we don't have to find out ;-)

DarkCloud
09-02-2014, 06:49 PM
I would be very fussed actually. Not only would we lose Tripps and Ings, we'd probably lose some others too as other clubs have started to take notice AND we'd lose SD who would surely be offered a fresh challenge at a bigger, possibly lower prem club and he would take it knowing he'd given it a great shot, we'd fallen short and the team was breaking up. Also, as others have mentioned, I enjoyed the prem. Full seats every week, links with bigger signings and the financial windfall which has kept us afloat. Every club has part time supporters. Embrace 'em and take their money!

celts
09-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Another reason why it's important that we are promoted is that it gives other clubs with limited resources and without rich benefactors hope, and the realisation that although large amounts of cash helps, it doesn't guarantee success.

mondayclubber
09-02-2014, 07:03 PM
I want us up. I can remember well, the rovers fans saying when they won the prem and we were nowhere - football is all about money nowadays, you'll never compete with a club like rovers again.

I will take great delight reminding them of what they said should we go up

wherewasi
09-02-2014, 07:23 PM
I'm with the OP in principle but not calling anybody elses who disagrees. I enjoy watching us in this division more than the PL. I rather suspect I would enjoy watching us more in League 1 than the PL. At League 2 I'd definitely take a season in the PL, warts and all.

Notrigsbyscat
10-02-2014, 12:25 AM
@paytonjames we said the very same thing about things when we went up under Coyle, so it's not our first time trying to prove there's a "right way"

The only other club since us is, IMO Hull, but they were/are better bankrolled, albeit not excessively

CasaDeClaret
10-02-2014, 03:40 PM
The financial benfits of going up are enormous, even better in fact than they were in 2009.

In addition to our share of the enormous TV deal from Sky, BT and all the other global networks, there's the increased revenues from ticket sales (home and away, not to mention not paying for several thousand season tickets like we promised last time)
More people through the gates means more programs sold, more food, more drink, more money through merchandise, I could go on.

The BL stand and CF both need desperate improvement too.
I remember seeing something about a corner being put in between the JH and JMc stands if we stayed up, anybody able to shed some light on this?