PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle away season 80/81

parkgatewelfare
20-02-2014, 08:48 PM
What a season and what a day out. League winners, fortress Millmoor, lost none conceded eight goals all season. Had a fantastic day out on the train especially on the way back, stocked up with beer and whiskey after gaining promotion that day, back to our home base Cross Keys to continue celebrating until the early hours, Happy Days.

Archiemiller
20-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Yep great day P.G.W, That wernt bad either 96 northern area final 2nd leg,drank Penrith dry(with a little help from my friends)pity only 1000 millers at that game,could have sold 5000 am sure.

mikemiller
20-02-2014, 10:54 PM
That was the game in 1981 at which we achieved promotion - great day out and celebrations afterwards back in Rotherham. Unlike many Millers fans, I was actually IN the ground when we scored (there was a massive queue at the turnstiles). Good old Rodney Fern !- rarely missed when one-on-one with the opposing keeper. The ball was kicked into the crowd at the end of the match . A lad on our supporters club coach managed to smuggle it out of the ground as a souvenir.

riccallmiller
21-02-2014, 01:03 AM
i can remember jumping in the river on the park after the game on the way to the coach.. wont be doing that this week, win lose or draw

millersontour
21-02-2014, 03:39 AM
Not a good day for me ...set off early arrived in time to be segregated from the travelling hordes and sat on the opposite end of the ground and after rodney ferns winner set upon by what seemed like hundreds of Neanderthal Carlisle fans each taking turns to batter me and my mate .

Charltonfaninpeace
21-02-2014, 10:39 AM
We were also promoted that season. And also clinched promotion at Carlisle.

millerman_in_newyork
21-02-2014, 10:57 AM
Missed the goal due to being stuck in the big queue but still my best away day ever-enjoyed that far more than the Wembley days. Went to most away games around that time and loved watching that team more than any other we've had. Great days and can't believe it's over 30 years since. Still remember loads of fans turtling in the car park afterwards if that's the correct expression?

1960smiller
21-02-2014, 11:53 AM
I can remember being in the pub the beehive a few of there fans in then within a hour it was full of millers,in fact I do believe the landlord locked the doors.We went up in a mini bus from Rawmarsh finished up in Blackpool on the way back,was it Huddersfield that did not win so we where up win or lose rest of games.

Ericsladkilnhurst
21-02-2014, 12:35 PM
We stopped in a little village on the way up to Carlisle, a little pub we filled up with Millers supporters, even having a game of football on the village green, next to the river, icing on the cake was Rodney Ferns winner & promotion.
Bad point was when we got back on coach, a lump of concrete came through the window, & hit a fan sat in front of my seat. !

Nudge
22-02-2014, 11:01 AM
I'm sure I was there that day but can't really remember too much about it and it might just be a figment of my imagination but what I remember is that it was very sunny but bloody freezing and that Peter Beardsley played for them that day. I remember going bonkers when we scored and that our goal led a bit of a charmed life. Would appreciate it if anyone with a better memory than me would confirm my recollection or am i talking utter rubbish

millavanilla
22-02-2014, 11:56 AM
No im sure it was sunny and warm, i was drinking before the game watching grayling and trout in the river
eden outside the ground...dont think it was cold..i too, missed the goal...id only ever seen one promotion before...from the fourth division..about 5 or 6 six years previous to this one..at southport...and some of our players played in both promotions...

dalemiller
22-02-2014, 01:21 PM
I was another one that was in the ground when Rod Fern scored, but my lasting memory is sitting back on the coach after game, our promotion that day depended on Huddersfield losing at Hull and result was late coming in , but all of a sudden one of the coaches started bouncing then another then another then Millers fans were getting off then and started a celebration in the car park...brilliant day.

riccallmiller
22-02-2014, 01:36 PM
Yes it was a warm day, the river was cold though. when the news came through a few off my coach went in the drink.
Dont think bearsley played that day, could be wrong though.

Fensmiller
22-02-2014, 01:57 PM
I was also one of the many stuck outside and missed the goal. I remember a miller appearing on the top of the wall from inside and yelling to us all that Rod the Nod had scored. The noise from the celebrations inside had been so loud most of us thought that it was them that had scored. A great day in the sun.
We raced back to the car to listen to the results on the radio at the end, and when it was confirmed that Huddersfield had lost ( I think that was the case) then we were promoted. The whole car erupted with cheers and a passing Carlisle fan gave me his scarf as a souvenir that I still have.

mikemiller
22-02-2014, 04:11 PM
It was a bright sunny Spring day - although I think that the pitch was quite muddy. Remember seeing Ron, who used to stand behind the dugouts at Millmoor and abuse the opposition managers, paddling in the stream near the ground BEFORE the match had even started!

mikemiller
22-02-2014, 04:29 PM
I think that the match when Beardsley played and it was freezing cold was actually away at Hartlepool. (Yep, icy wind blowing in off the North Sea that day)