PDA

View Full Version : What was the point in that then Roy?

LincolnClaret
05-03-2014, 08:57 PM
First choice strikers are Sturridge and Rooney. Behind those two it's Welbeck and someone else...

So what does Roy do, he starts Sturridge and Rooney, brings Welbeck off the bench but leaves Lambert, Defoe and Jay warming the bench for 90 minutes.

So we've learnt the square root of bugger all!!

Claretdj
05-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Rooney scored a good few drop goals 1st half. 300k a week f.f.s XD

LancasterClaret
05-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Take the kids

Sack off the old guard and bring in the future

Claretdj
05-03-2014, 09:08 PM
^^^trips n ings then!

Akinbadbye_20
05-03-2014, 09:25 PM
Learnt that Sturridge playing wide isnt an option. If we are to play Sturridge and Rooney together then they are going to have to play as a front 2. Id possible look at starting the world cup with this attacking system:

Ox -- Gerrard --- Wilshere -- Lallana

---------Rooney -- Sturridge-----

TheNoblePete
05-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Good goal by Sturridge. He'd be skipper if he wasn't black! :-)

dougcollins
05-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Has it finished yet?

zzzzzz

IanMcL
05-03-2014, 11:44 PM
Usual England display.

I watched Gareth Bale mostly as he has something worth watching. Good for Mr V to score as well.
The England U21 all seemed to be out to dazzle on their own. Not a good team at all, just some affected young lads, for the most part.

I see Delfouneso has now found his level at Coventry. Too many of these young people are overhyped to extreme.

The Bedlington Terrier
06-03-2014, 04:21 AM
We have been playing international football for 142 years and this is the best Roy can come up with? Pathetic!

ClaretsEngineer
06-03-2014, 07:54 AM
Why do people still live in hope that England will produce anything other than a dull, tepid display? We have seen first hand at the Turf that a load of overhyped and overpaid footballers do when brought together a la QPstRangers.

I only flicked the channel over to see how the younger lads would do. Rodriguez didnt even make an appearance.

I find the comments made by our pundits somewhat derisory also 'Denmark will be happy to go away from here with a point,' as if England are still a big international side playing slick football and mauling the opposition.

If that Danish bloke had scored with that golden opportunity gifted to him by Englands defence then I believe they'd have struggled to scrape a draw.

Although Kaspar plays for Lestoh Citeh I thought he was absolutely fantastic in their goal.

Jamb0MackemClaret
06-03-2014, 08:14 AM
Don't agree with everything Hodgson did last night (putting Milner on for a few minutes rather than having a look at someone like Rodriguez or Barkley was odd), but Sturridge and Rooney need game-time together ahead of the World Cup, so that made sense. As did testing the Liverpool combinations of Johnson-Sterling and Gerrard-Henderson for England. As did seeing if Cole is still up to international level, and seeing if Shaw is ready to make that jump.

Hopefully what we learned last night is that Sturridge should play through the middle with Rooney as a floating 10 behind him. Then Sterling and Lallana wide and two sitting midfielders - probably Gerrard and Carrick, Wilshere if he can stay fit.

minniemouth
06-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Don't know why people watch international friendlies. None of the old hands want to be there.

We are desperate for a ball winning midfielder who'll just sit in and allow the forwards to get on with it. Sadly I can't think of one so the breakaway they should have scored from will be our downfall in the Summer.

JohnMcGreal
06-03-2014, 10:03 AM
I've been a fan of Hodgson, but last night was disappointing.

Sturridge is the best striker in England at the moment, by quite a distance. He is stuck out wide to accommodate Mr Rooney as the main striker, even though his form and goal scoring has been patchy all season.

Welbeck hasn't started a league game for 2 and a half months, yet he is put on ahead of Rodriguez, who is the second top English scorer in the Premier League.

Milner, Townsend, and Smalling have done nothing to justify playing for their country in the last few months.

Hodgson said he would be picking his players on merit when he was appointed. Well he didn't do that last night.

Jamb0MackemClaret
06-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Fair points, but this is an interesting riposte to the 'pick form players' debate by that 'Zonal Whatever' bloke.

Townsend in particular has been injured (though I think PL teams have also found him out) so ditching him for flavour of the month Sterling would be harsh. Don't the players who helped us qualify (yes, even Cleverley) deserve their chance? - view external link (http://www.freebets.org.uk/blog/why-tom-cleverley-and-others-should-be-in-hodgsons-squad)

beddie
06-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Its the defence that worries me, we are also way behind other countries with our current style of play. The way forward is Lambert, Jay Rod, Llanna, Shaw, Sturridge, Sterling, Cahill Baines etc.

theclaret57
06-03-2014, 10:47 AM
If our style of play is way behind others why pick Lambert?

It would lead to more direct hoofball, not less.

braindead
06-03-2014, 10:51 AM
I think that we have a good crop of youngsters coming through the ranks:

Shaw
Wilshere
Sterling
Lallana
Townsend
Oxlaide-Chamberlain
J Rod

I think the future's bright - if we ever find a manager brave enough to drop the old guard and play the kids.

summitclaret
06-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Just 2 positives last night. Shaw, who looked an international from his first touch, and Llanna. Have you every seen Rooney have a good game for England? Don't think I have. So maybe Rooney does not start, as we will nowhere if we play only 2 in centre midfield against almost every other team of note, who will outpass us.

Jamb0MackemClaret
06-03-2014, 01:13 PM
"I think the future's bright - if we ever find a manager brave enough to drop the old guard and play the kids."

Hodgson has played all those (plus Henderson, Rodwell, Cleverley etc etc) so what's your point?

ClaretTony2014
06-03-2014, 01:42 PM
I thought it was the most entertaining England game I've seen in years. I fell asleep about 15 minutes in and the game had been over for almost two hours when I wakened up.

kritichris
06-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Rooney said exactly the same thing CT

ColinBlacklabel
06-03-2014, 03:45 PM
I think I can count on one hand the number of games Rooney has had a good game for England. He's not had any good major tournaments and I can't see him playing well in this year's World Cup either. He'll of course go, but I bet he's one of our worst performing players, when we're discussing this in a few months time.

Our central defence is in my opinion, given it's technical term - sh1te. When we're chasing the game (most games this summer), teams will walk through our 2 centre backs and it'll be down to Hart to keep us in it.

Wilshere is another who I predict will have a shocker of a tournament and will either get injured early doors and miss the remaining 2 games or will play but not do very much.

But if the above does happen - how many will be surprised? I bet not many of you.

maidenover
06-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Terry's organization is badly missed in the center of defence - at 33 he's still the best center half in the Premier League IMO. He also plays every week with Cahill. Jagielka, Jones, Smalling etc aren't up to it for me.

I also think we need to go with two speedy wingers from Ox, Sterling, Townsend, Lennon and even Walcott if he's fit. One of the few real strengths we have is pace and we should be using it, getting to the byline and crossing it, English style. Llalana is a big plus too - another with pace.

fungus_the_bogeyman
06-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Sturridge is the most natural goalscorer we have. Stick him up front, FFS. That's all I learned, tbh.

ClaretMatt4
06-03-2014, 07:06 PM
'llanna'

Seriously?