PDA

View Full Version : So again about the singing

DartsMadLiam
30-03-2014, 08:58 AM
Last few threads on this subject have been praising the singing, esp. at Charlton, where it was awesome.

I realise its more difficult to get our voices heard in enough numbers at the Turf, but yesterday was shameful.

Them boys needed our voices yesterday and we couldn't even raise a decent chorus of NNN.

spunkybackpack21
30-03-2014, 09:09 AM
I thought the atmosphere was actually pretty decent yesterday (Stanislas incident aside), but I suppose we'll get these threads every week until the end of time.

Redbeard
30-03-2014, 09:10 AM
I thought there were a number of attempts to get us going, but it seemed that Vokes's early departure set us back a bit confidence-wise and that this was reflected in the singing, or relative lack of it.

Moreover, the opposition fans were very loud - as loud if not louder than Leeds - and this again was largely due to the actual design of the CFS.

It is crucial IMHO that we get home fans in there next season, before we end up being regularly drowned out by visiting Premier League fans.

And I do mean crucial. :s

hampsteadclaret
30-03-2014, 09:38 AM
We should put the away fans (whichever division we are in) in that part of the ground where they will have least influence. So.. keep them out of the Cricket Field Stand. I would have thought JML or part of the JHL. I am aware that the security issues need to be thought through on this one

Re the CFS..I know it is in a bit of a state but can anyone give me an up-to-date lowdown on it's condition... ie -

Does it need knocking down now because of it's generally parlous state ( think I read something about a new roof having gone on recently)?
If we go up should our first priority be to knock it down and then build a substantial single tier stand there for Burnley supporters?

- OR.. is it essentially sound as a structure and just needs a considerable amount of money spent tarting it up and improving facilities (eg: the changing rooms, the players bar) I have been down there but not for at least five years.
It was pretty tacky back then and no way good enough for a Premier League club.

ClaretMatt4
30-03-2014, 11:43 AM
I think the club would be averse to knocking it down when they put a new roof on it not so long ago. I can see this happening if and only if we go up and stay up.

My idea was to actually knock down the Bob Lord stand and build a single-tier Kop opposite the longside. Wouldn't have to be massive - we wouldn't fill a 30,000 seater stadium...

However this gives the club the option to build new changing rooms under the new stand AND put all the away fans in the corner of it (say the end two blocks) and keep them quiet, whilst the home fans make noise in the CFS.

Still issues regarding segregation of the entrances outside, but if it's a new build then I think it can be overcome.

Again this wouldn't be a priority per se, and we'd look pretty stupid if we went back down with a brand new stand and only half filled it... But if we should get there and survive a season then it's a must for me.

In the meantime, should we reach the PL, splitting the CFS like we did last time is the most sens

GrimsbyClaret
30-03-2014, 11:59 AM
I realise its more difficult to get our voices heard in enough numbers at the Turf, but yesterday was shameful. ???????????? Darts are you deaf.
I thought the Burnley fans were fantastic yesterday very loud indeed very proud of them.

gcah2014
30-03-2014, 12:27 PM
I was in the away support - just above the tunnel - and your support really wasn't impressive yesterday.

The logistics and design doesn't help because everything we sang just echoed three-fold due to the roof. But other than a few early chants from the stand to my left (and a select few below the boxes who tried hard all game), there really wasn't much in it.

Injuries including Vokes at 3 minutes doesn't help. Neither does conceding goals. But I'm going to credit our defence for nullify most of your attacking threats. This is usually a spark for fans to get animated but we dealt with almost everything.

spunkybackpack21
30-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Giving away fans the most atmospheric stand by far continues to be ridiculous, of course.

It shouldn't even matter if we're promoted or not - get it changed.

Peter_Nobles_Wig
30-03-2014, 12:41 PM
The Turf can "rock" and that has been proven down the years but we, as the home support, are "reactive" rather than "proactive". Away, we are different, but most teams are (Wigan excepted).

Claretforever
30-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Gcah, you're right. I was sat behind the other goal and although I knew our fans were singing, we were totally drowned out by Leicester. Our stand designs are appalling for atmosphere. Our fans are split bottom and top tier, and the stand's are open, meaning any noise just goes up. With a smaller stand across from our main stand the wind also blows into the stand, so the noise doesn't come out. Just poorly thought out designs done on the cheap. Even though the CFS is old, the noise is tremendous, even with 500 in there.

A lot of our fans remember the Longside terrace days when opposing teams couldn't get near our sound levels. :blue:

Redbeard
30-03-2014, 01:25 PM
Spunky - I agree with 'whether we're promoted or not.'

Though of course we will be...:)

tonymorleysbaldhead
30-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Newsflash...Newsflash...

3,000 travelling fans, bunched together in a stand under a covered, low tin roof make lots of noise when winning the game, and are top of the league and nailed on for promotion.

What ever next ?

Night following day perhaps.

UTC

Quattro
30-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Wouldn't there be an issue with lack of space behind the Bob Lord Stand to go building a Kop-type stand due to the main road?

If we currently hold 22,500 and aim to build for 30,000 would require an additional 7,500 seat over and above the current Bob Lord Stand capacity that is a decent sized stand!

p_wardie
30-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Burnley fans could barely be heard from the Bob Lord (as per). Atmos was dire. Moving our fans into the CFS won't solve all our problems. We have about three songs and hardly anyone sings. Unless everyone that sings in the rest of the ground gets moved in there it isn't going to make a difference.

Redbeard
30-03-2014, 09:24 PM
No-one's saying it would solve all the problems - but it made a hell of difference last time.

dougcollins
30-03-2014, 09:28 PM
'I thought there were a number of attempts to get us going, but it seemed that Vokes's early departure set us back a bit confidence-wise and that this was reflected in the singing, or relative lack of it.'

I agree - knocked us all for six and we pretty much knew the game was up.

Claretforever
30-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Quattro, we do not need a 30,000 seater stadium. At the moment we don't even need a 21,903 capacity stadium. Even in the Prem, aside from 2 or 3 games the ground capacity we have will be enough. If we're going to redevelop, and plan for extra demand then possibly 23,000 tops, otherwise it'll look empty when there're 14,000 in it, as Ewood does now!

The Bob Lord has lots of space behind it, from about 2/3 of the way up the current seating. Below that you have the lounges. You could possibly put more rows in and add a couple of thousand to it? Not sure how it'd work though.

cricketfield72
30-03-2014, 09:39 PM
The atmosphere was really poor yesterday.
Everyone in the ground knew we were up against it at 12:15pm and we especially needed that 12th man from 12:20pm but the loudest noise I heard was the whingeing about Stanislas.
One gibbon on the back row of the Bob Lord did nothing but for the entire match.

tonymorleysbaldhead
31-03-2014, 11:36 AM
p wardie: Burnley fans could barely be heard from the Bob Lord (as per).

And here's me thinking the BL is full of Burnley fans. There is nothing to stop the BL joining in occasionally, rather than bemoaning the lack of atmosphere from other parts of the ground. Just a thought like.

For that its worth, the atmosphere was OK in the JHU (not exactly Longside of old, but not that bad).

UTC.

JohnMcGreal
31-03-2014, 11:48 AM
Careful Hampstead. I suggested that the CFS needed bulldozing, and was promptly told to F off to Bolton or Coventry.

It's an eyesore. The facilities within the stand are a borderline disgrace for a professional football club in the second tier. It needs sorting out. It's not going to get better with age. If we don't do it next season, when will we do it, exactly?