PDA

View Full Version : Mr Burnley of Mauritius .

davemanu2000
04-04-2014, 02:09 PM
I was with my wife for treatment at a city clinic ,In the waiting room I met an old man who is also an addict of English football .In the course of our conversation he related to me a very hilarious story of a fan who was determined to see the match Mauritius v/s Burnley in 1954 .

It happened in the village of Ilot .there was a young lad who was all bent to see Bunley playing at king George V Stadium at Curepipe . He had no money to pay for a ticket and defray the cost of travelling .He wracked his brain to get the necessary fund .His only possession was a cock . He caught the cock after strenuous running inside his own yard . He sold it at the nearest shop and got the necessary money .
He caught the next bus ,bought his ticket inside the stadium and thus fulfilled his heartiest desire to watch the match .Mauritius lost by 6-1 .he applauded the visiting team and its players .
News spread in the village and he was nicknamed MR BURNLEY from that time . The man is still alive and

davemanu2000
04-04-2014, 02:14 PM
It is nor hilarious but an authentic story .I wonder if it is to your taste . Still i hope that you will like it .Burnley's historical and prestigious visit of 1954 is still remembered and treasured .

Ashingtonclaret46
04-04-2014, 02:31 PM
dave-- methinks that this big fan posts on this board regularly.
Hope that you are keeping well and I know that you have been following our great progress through this season. It appears that lief has just become little bit harder with the injury situation as it is at the moment and we certainly all feel for big Sam, such a shame for him to suffer that injury. The other lads will be back shortly, along with Dean Marney who completes his 2 match suspension tomorrow. Historically, the next two gamaes are not at our favourite grounds, however, I am sure that Sean Dyche will have the lads well motivated for these games and I feel that we could well be sure of promotion after the next four fixtures --we shall see. No matter what, it has been a great season. Keep your fingers crossed. Best wishes Alan & Pat

ColinBlacklabel
04-04-2014, 02:44 PM
'He wracked his brain to get the necessary fund. His only possession was a cock'

That too has been my only possession in the past, but it was to get a drink from a dog ugly barmaid on a late Saturday night.

davemanu2000
04-04-2014, 02:49 PM
It is sheer bad luck that we have lost our key players at such an opportune time .Secondly we cannot boast that we have a large squad as some city clubs .

Redbeard
04-04-2014, 03:17 PM
I like the story, Dave - but Ashington seems to believe that the young man was in fact your good self, sir...

Now let us have the truth, please. :)

spadesclaret
04-04-2014, 03:55 PM
Lovely story, dave :)

davemanu2000
04-04-2014, 04:01 PM
No confusion . It is not me . I as too young but followed the match on radio and newspapers .The people so enamoured and became the talk of the town .Burnleybecame a household word ands of players like Mc Donald ,Holden,Shannon, Cummings who I met in 2004 in Burnley ,Mc Ilroy ,and others .

Ashingtonclaret46
04-04-2014, 04:05 PM
I must admit that I did think that it was Dave from our past conversations, however, it is great to hear about the lasting impression our Clarets left in Mauritius.

Redbeard
04-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Then do please pardon me, sir, for having doubted your word.

Though it was of course Ashington's fault. :)

lotty1
04-04-2014, 05:43 PM
Davemanu2000 - What a coincidence - This afternoon I was with a friend who lives 100 metres from me here in Brittany . He's from Mauritius and I was telling him about you and your affinity to all things BFC following that game all those years ago . He remembers the game and then I log on here tonight and see this thread .

Brilliant how life throws up so many coincidences . Hope you're well my friend . :D

LoveCurryPies
04-04-2014, 05:59 PM
Always great to hear from you Davemanu! You bring joy, happiness and sunshine to this forum. ;D

davemanu2000
05-04-2014, 05:35 AM
Thanks very much for your appreciations.i would be 75 on the coming 5th May . i intend to visit England for the 12th time probably in July.Of course i would stay for a couple of days in the beautiful town of Burnley and meet some new burnley fans and friends .

my cherished wish is that Burnley are promoted automatically . Unfortunately some key players are dogged by injuries .But I still believe that Burnley can do it as we have the best Manager in the Championship .

i took over as Chairman of Falcon Flacq SC .i had resigned three years back .The club was demoted to the second division and occupying an undesirable position fit for a second relagation . previously I occupied the post of Chairman continuously for 18 years .i brought the club as one of the three best clubs in Mauritius .Unfortunately during my absence they have undone all .i took over last month and I have an uphill task to perform .we have already won one match and longing to win the second one today at King George

rammymike
05-04-2014, 07:35 AM
That is a brilliant story Dave! We have beautiful memories of our one trip to Mauritius, particularly the horse racing which was fantastic fun.

The lads will do Mr Burnley proud and win promotion, I am sure, and give him many opportunities to tell the story of his cock.

UTC

Redbeard
05-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Come on you Falcons ! :)

Rammy - XD

CaptJohn
05-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Hey Dave what's the weather like in Mauritius in March? I've got a shed load of Emirates Air Miles and I'm looking at options for a holiday out east.

davemanu2000
05-04-2014, 04:23 PM
The weather in March is mild .It is from 26 to 29 degrees centigrade . As usual the sea water sic sparkling .
Today we played away against highlands FC at king George v stadium .the result is as under :: Highlands 2. 2. Falcon .

Redbeard
05-04-2014, 04:34 PM
An away point is always welcome, Dave. :D

davemanu2000
06-04-2014, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the encouragement .OUR players are fully motivated and are in the ascending order .We are playing on Thursday for the MFA Cup .

SteakPuddChipsNGravy
06-04-2014, 06:50 AM
Dave, Thanks for posting on here as has already been said your posts are always great to read. I always go straight to them whenever I see that you are the OP. Hope you have a great day in May

davemanu2000
06-04-2014, 08:01 AM
I would love to meet you and other Burnley fans either in England or Mauritius .It is most probable that i would visit England in July .
i would always advise the Clarets fans to contact me before they choose a hotel .You may have a discounted tariff.
Those who cannot afford to pay hotel bills ,then i would offer my own seaside apartment free of charge .i can arrange to a nearby restaurant for food or you can do your own cooking .For visits my car or my 4x4 is available .

davemanu2000
07-04-2014, 05:58 AM
Probably in 6 weeks time the Championship tournament would be over .You may think about vacation .If ever you are proposing to come to Mauritius ,please read my above post ,and send me an e-mail .mungurbhurdwaz@hotmail.com

CaptJohn
07-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Dave.
Reply sent to your email.

Cheers,

John

SimplyClaret
08-04-2014, 01:12 PM
What a charming bloke! I think he should be asked to do the half time draw if he's ever over during the season! :D

davemanu2000
09-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Captain John. i have sent an e-mail. Please read it without fail . Thanks