PDA

View Full Version : SD signing inpired or lucky ?

Firthy
09-04-2014, 12:11 PM
As per the title, I'm curious what others think about the boards decision.

Did the board really see something special in SD and his mantra and knew he was the right man for the job and believed he could take us back to the premiership.

Or did they just think he'd be someone who would work hard within the financial restraints of a small club and got lucky, and when I say small, I mean financially compared to the MU's, because the club has the biggest heart of any.

Either way, I'm more than happy and glad they chose him.

lotty1
09-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Inspired !

fulwooddingles
09-04-2014, 12:15 PM
Inspired!

Time for us all to pull together!

pearcey
09-04-2014, 12:20 PM
According to some it was the cheap option. What an inspired choice he was!

ClaretTony2014
09-04-2014, 12:22 PM
I've said it on another thread today but the search for a new manager was extensive with a lot of potentials interviewed.

There's always some luck in it as there is when you sign a player but they'd done their homework and knew what sort of manager they were getting.

Inspired.

Notrigsbyscat
09-04-2014, 12:29 PM
I'm always stunned that it's reported often how SD made a PowerPoint presentation and...blah, blah

On the basis our Board, and that of other clubs are generally "smart" people, I would have thought it easy enough to dismiss candidates readily whom are not similarly prepared with analysis and a plan.

Can you imagine interviewing 'Arry? "Yeaaah, well, we're a few players short. What we need is capable players, throw them on the pitch, and their instinct should do the rest. Give me the money and I'll give you the team."

Brilliant 'Arry, here's the cheque book now.

So I would say NOT inspired, more of a no brainer, and rather LUCKY he applied, and presented in the right way

stacky_claret
09-04-2014, 12:31 PM
what you all talking about ?

SD said he was having the job ;D

thewellernut70
09-04-2014, 12:36 PM
It's quite easy to see why the board appointed Dyche,he must have interviewed really well and this transmits through the to the media,both written and audible

minniemouth
09-04-2014, 12:39 PM
100% with CT. There's always a bit of luck but they'd obviously done their homework. Terrific result.
Inspired.

Dave Whelan thought he was inspired last July.

thewellernut70
09-04-2014, 12:41 PM
I always remember the interview that was aired on Radio Lancs just after Dyche had put pen to paper given by one of the journo's who used to deal with Dyche on a daily basis at Watford.I always remember thinking this chap seemed genuinely gutted that Dyche was leaving Watford and repeatedly stated something along the lines of what a gem we had got ourselves.I had my doubts around that run of games in early spring last year as did a number of supporters,but my word that journo was correct and then some!

culmclaret
09-04-2014, 12:41 PM
I thought at the time it was a thoughtful choice and I 'd always admired Dyche as a player. He'd done very well at Watford when the club's trajectory was downwards and seemed to have a gutsier approach than the anaemic Howe. That said he has developed and flourished in a supportive environmment at Turf Moor and the Board must take credit for that as well as his selection.

daveisaclaret
09-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Inspired. Thank you Lee Hoos.

FCBurnley
09-04-2014, 12:44 PM
95% Inspired with 5% of luck. As Jack Nicklaus said`The better I play the luckier I get`.

Notrigsbyscat
09-04-2014, 12:44 PM
interview technique 101...

don't use big or technical words in the incorrect context.

SD has very strong oral skills, and is audible when presenting

;D

Colburn_Claret
09-04-2014, 01:02 PM
Inspired.

We've been very fortunate that since BK came to the club we have had a succession of very good managers. Each in their own way have moved the club forwards on and off the pitch.
Some have been better at picking a gem than organising a team but...

Luck always plays a part, but we are blessed with a board that not only understand Burnley, but understand football.

UTC

Quicknick
09-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Minniemouth, post #9. Imagine how much stronger this season Wigan would have been if the German Bomber had been appointed in the summer instead of Susan.

fatboy47
09-04-2014, 01:54 PM
I'm sure the board would like to bask in the glory of the masterstroke that was the Dyche appointment...

...whilst quickly coughing and changing the subject when Brian "coco" Laws' is raised.

Can't have it both ways.

ColdPieWarmBeer
09-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Inspired. Thank you Lee Hoos.

Dave, you do know praising Hoos for anything is against forum etiquette, right?

lotty1
09-04-2014, 02:07 PM
I remember seeing him on Sky Sports Soccer Night a couple of times before it was mooted that we may lose Howe and thought he was a breath of fresh air .

He was so different from the other ex player/manager pundits . No cliches or sound bites just a good clear analysis of the games he was watching . I admit he took me by surprise . He was very articulate and came across as intelligent and you could tell that he thought about what he was saying even in that "instant comment" context .

When Howe left and Dyche's came up I wanted him straight away .

Some fans these days seem to only be interested in instant success and I was horrified that he took so much flak last season and said so on here . Thankfully he's proving how good he is and he'll surely get better with experience . Thankfully the Chairmen didn't listen to the knockers !

He seems to value everything about the club and trusts his players 100% + he has motivational skills without all the bull**** Coyle spouted and it see

IanMcL
09-04-2014, 02:46 PM
I heard that the board did not give him a contract at all.

Instead, they said he should just take it one game at a time and try for three points!

OwnGoals
09-04-2014, 03:10 PM
Lotty - Like you, I knew nothing of him until seeing him on Soccer Saturday on Sky. Commented at the time after hearing his analysis & thoughts that I wouldn't be upset if we appointed him. He was not what I expected at all.
Can't pretend I thought it could ever go this well though!

LoveCurryPies
09-04-2014, 03:15 PM
He did a demo of the various arm wavings that he uses. Very impressive!

lotty1
09-04-2014, 03:51 PM
Yes owngoals - I knew of him as a player and also knew he'd been at Watford as most of us would but I'd never heard him speak and I was very impressed . Nothing like I'd expected but don't really know what I expected if that makes any sort of sense . :)

Supersub6
09-04-2014, 04:21 PM
I have it on good authority that, at his interview, he was asked if he could get us promoted to the Premier League and he was very positive with his view that there was no reason why he wouldn't be able to do.
There were not too many who were interviewed who thought that they could achieve that objective. He obviously impressed the Board because they interviewed lots of potential managers.

BobLordsFridge
09-04-2014, 09:09 PM
He impressed them, they picked him.

I doubt even the most optimistic board member could have envisaged the season we've had, but it'd be churlish to suggest they got lucky. If they'd picked a dud, we'd be moaning about it on here (as many, including me, were 12 months ago). So when it works out, you can't begrudge them the praise.

treadmillclaret
09-04-2014, 09:12 PM
95% Inspired with 5% of luck. As Jack Nicklaus said`The better I play the luckier I get`

it was gary player who said that - but good point !!!

warminsterclaret
09-04-2014, 09:14 PM
"95% Inspired with 5% of luck. As Jack Nicklaus said`The better I play the luckier I get`."

It was in fact Gary Player who said (after someone called him lucky after a bunker shot). Yes, and the more I practice the luckier I get.

Anyway, a large slice of luck to have the best manager in the world out of work when we had a vacancy.

In SD I trust. UTC!!

treadmillclaret
09-04-2014, 09:18 PM
almost as good as the interview with David Duval a few years ago.

day 4 of a PGA event and he had just shot 59 to get himself in a play off

reporter asked duval - "are you going to go on the range to practice before the play off ?"

duval response - " yeh - like i need to" !!!!!!

anyway i digress !!