PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Woodgate with a pearler!!

Claret4ver
10-04-2014, 09:14 AM
"If you look at Burnley's players, their line-up compared to ours, I think you would have more players in from our team than you would from their team, individually."

Added incentive for Saturday. UTC :D

Darthlaw
10-04-2014, 09:21 AM
He's hardly likely to say 'I'd rather we had Shackell, Jones and Ings in our team than our current players. My team mates are incomparable to the class of those at Burnley.'

Alp12Mac
10-04-2014, 09:23 AM
I think it sounds more like a back handed compliment.

Firthy
10-04-2014, 09:43 AM
"If you look at Burnley's players, their line-up compared to ours, I think you would have more players in from our team than you would from their team, individually."

There's the difference between Burnley and the likes of QPR, our players aren't individuals, they are a TEAM of 11 which is what has made us so successful this season :)

Claret4ver
10-04-2014, 09:45 AM
No question it is a backhanded compliment. I am just hoping our boys defy once again this misguided belief - perpetrated by the BBC MOD panel - that you can only win if you throw money at it.

socrates
10-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Jon Woodgate confirming his famous stupidity once again.

Mattster
10-04-2014, 09:51 AM
Looking at it objectively here's Boro's last starting XI (I don't know if this is their best XI but they'll be missing three of these on Saturday anyway) compared with our "best" XI.

GK Konstantopoulos - Heaton
RB Varga - Trippier
LB Friend - Mee
CB Omeruo - Shackell
CB Gibson - Duff
MF Adomah - Kightly
MF Williams - Marney
MF Chalobah - Jones
MF Butterfield - Arfield
MF Leadbitter - Ings
ST Graham - Vokes

In a direct comparison I definately wouldn't swap any of our defence with theirs. Ings and Vokes would be first choice at every Championship side. Jones over Chalobah on current ability, Marney over Williams on consistency. Arfield over Butterfield. I could understand taking Adomah over Kightly.

So out of 11 I'd take 1 Boro player...

Glad that the opposition is still underestimating us, even at this stage!

NottsClaret
10-04-2014, 09:51 AM
They've been saying that all season, but it's not just Boro, loads of clubs fans seem to think it. Particularly Blackburn's for a while there, amusingly.

If you look at our squad, plenty have won promotion from this league before and several have played in the Prem. The ones that haven't, the likes of Ings and Tripps would walk into any side in the league.

It's another myth to be debunked. Our players are better than most, our team is better than everyone's other than Leicester. Maybe they haven't seen them on MoTD much or they don't have extravagant foreigns and big price tags, but they're still better.

ClaretTony2014
10-04-2014, 09:52 AM
"There's the difference between Burnley and the likes of QPR, our players aren't individuals, they are a TEAM of 11 which is what has made us so successful this season"

Spot on

braindead
10-04-2014, 09:57 AM
I like the look of Ben Gibson, the young centre half at Boro so would probably take him over Duff.

Other than that, no thanks.

DiBraidio
10-04-2014, 09:58 AM
"There's the difference between Burnley and the likes of QPR, our players aren't individuals, they are a TEAM of 11 which is what has made us so successful this season"

I beg to differ. Ours is a GROUP of about 22 players. All of whom play for the group.

PapaBendi
10-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Adomah is the one player who causes us problems on a consistent basis and I think we need a plan to deal with him, possibly involving both Trippier and Baird playing in this game...which would be very tough on Kightly. I am not saying that is what we will do but it is is potentially how I would play it.

Firthy
10-04-2014, 10:11 AM
"I beg to differ. Ours is a GROUP of about 22 players. All of whom play for the group."

Team of 11 when on the pitch is what I meant :) We all know, as has been shown recently, how important squad players are.

While we're on the subject of Boro and their players, do you think Omeruo, Gibson and possibly Friend missing from their defence will work in our favour on Saturday ?

longside4evr
10-04-2014, 10:21 AM
And just a reminder these player who have sweat blood and snot took a pay cut if clubs like Middlesbrough want to think that then fine keep paying them wages
they are worth there weight in gold ;D

mkmel
10-04-2014, 10:44 AM
I assume that Woodgate is out injured,now there's a surprise,Gibson and Omeruo are out suspended,Friend could be out injured and another player is said to be out and they are all defenders.

Claret4ver
10-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Woodgate is back on Saturday, amazingly he has been injured since March 1st

NUMANdroid
10-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Jonathan who??

>:)

braindead
10-04-2014, 10:58 AM
Loved Woodgate's nickname at Real Madrid - The English Patient XD

NGSOBOB
10-04-2014, 11:06 AM
Don't know the context, so may be a compliment to our team ethic. I do remember, however, Woodgate applauding the Longside after the cruel defeat to Spurs in the Carling Cup. Proper footballer.

garfunkal
10-04-2014, 11:11 AM
That's his opinion which is wrong , maybe he should keep his mouth shut

CardyTheClaret
10-04-2014, 11:13 AM
PapaBendi, you'd play two right backs and change our winning system, dropping our hardest working winger, adopt a system that we've never played before just to compensate for a player that we may have problems with?

I'm sure we've come up against better players this season without having to radically alter what we do.

golden
10-04-2014, 11:14 AM
so is he saying his manager is poor underachieving and finishing mid table should be sacked,or these so called stars cant be bothered being super stars but are happy taking there big wages for a mediocre season, for me i wouldnt swap any player this season from our team and certainly wouldnt want him playing at our club.

pushpinpussy
10-04-2014, 12:10 PM
i very much doubt if Woodgate plays that he will make it to half time before he pulls his hamstring. could i get a bet on this ?

wherewasi
10-04-2014, 12:17 PM
I don't agree with his analysis about the players (although it's closer for me than some others on here) but I think the point of the comment is a dig at his team, not a criticism of ours.

Anyway - I'll still applaud him on Saturday. A small but lamentably rare gesture of sportsmanship when he applauded us after the Spurs semi.

Falklands82
10-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Perhaps Woodgate prefers his teams league position over ours as well. :D

SAM_WELL
10-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

ColinBlacklabel
10-04-2014, 12:52 PM
'That's his opinion which is wrong'

To be fair, an opinion cannot be wrong. That's why it's an opinion.

I actually thought Woodgate had retired!

The Bedlington Terrier
10-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Mr Woodgate needs to look at our respective points tallies and then shut up!

nil_desperandum
10-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Nothing particularly outrageous in Woodgate's comments. If speaking to his local press he's hardly likely to say that Burnley are superior in every area. It goes with the territory to talk your own team up.
For what it's worth, I think:
a. Woodgate is generally a bit of an idiot
b. He's a damn good player
c. He's had his career ruined by injury. (I really don't believe - as some would suggest on here - that he has feigned injury, missed games by choice, not been unlucky with injuries.)
Middlesbrough will be tougher to beat if he plays 90 mins on Saturday.