PDA

View Full Version : If I was a Referee I would ...

icu81b4
14-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Clamp down on deliberate dives/feigned injuries ... What about you?

SteakPuddChipsNGravy
14-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Give Burnley a couple of penalties every time I refereed them :D

icu81b4
14-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Ask the players to show some integrity during the game (otherwise it's cheating in my book)

Peter_Nobles_Wig
14-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Treat them like Rugby players.

Answer back and you're "OFF"!

Some games would be abandoned for lack of players but, eventually, they'd get the message ;D

yanquiclaret
15-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Give a yellow card to every player who requested (by word or gesture) that I give a yellow to another player. I would also start giving free kicks for fouls at corners. A lot less wrestling if it results in a penalty.

edison
15-04-2014, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't book players for blocking free kicks if the opposition player taking said free kick deliberately kicked the ball straight at the player standing over the ball (if that makes sense).

I'd simply tell them to take it again. If the free kick taker complained about the lack of yellow card, I'd book them for unsportsmanlike conduct.

wherewasi
15-04-2014, 03:38 PM
Send off any player who swore.
Give the first thing I saw at every corner.
Book players for not getting 10 yards away from the free-kick immediately.
Allow quick free-kicks every time.
Book players who I thought had deliberately feigned an injury to stop the play.
Book players who claim throw-ins, free-kicks, goal-kicks, corners wher I believe they could not genuinely believe their own claim.
Send off managers who come out of the technical area.
Make it clear to the goalie I will be treating him as an adult and expecting him to take a reasonable amount of physical pressure.
Book any player who asks me to book or discipline another player.
Send off any player who touches me.
Book any player who runs up to me and complains.

Game will unfortunately be over by 3.15 unless played in the Corinthian sprit...

CoatHook
15-04-2014, 04:49 PM
I am Sunday morning referee, the main difference these days from when I played is the constant appeals, for everything, every challenge, every throw in, everything.
This constant looking to gain an advantage undermines everything as appealing is now the norm followed by berating the referee if he ignores or disagrees. Thus insinuating he must be a cheat if he does not agree with all your appeals for the 90 mins.

burnleyareback
15-04-2014, 06:53 PM
Allow strikers to implement 2 foot challenges above waist height for defenders who block the ball to win a goal kick

This used to be called obstruction

wherewasi
15-04-2014, 09:40 PM
Big like for post #9.

Defenders should have a choice: if you want to be deemed in control of the ball, touch it, otherwise it's obstruction.

Patey
16-04-2014, 12:54 PM
I am Sunday morning referee, the main difference these days from when I played is the constant appeals, for everything, every challenge, every throw in, everything.
This constant looking to gain an advantage undermines everything as appealing is now the norm followed by berating the referee if he ignores or disagrees. Thus insinuating he must be a cheat if he does not agree with all your appeals for the 90 mins.

I said it on another threat, all 22 players appeal when the ball goes out of play. 11 are correct, 6 are mistaken and 5 are cheating. It needs sorting.

beddie
16-04-2014, 01:26 PM
I would go into the dressing rooms before kick off and warn the players that any shirt pulling will result in a booking and may lead to a Penalty being awarded. Then when the game starts I would completely ignore what I had told them.>:(

Redbeard
16-04-2014, 01:35 PM
I'd go into the Liverpool dressing-room before kick-off and red-card Suarez for 'inevitable persistent cheating.' :)

leedsdave
16-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Post#7 - brilliant wherewasi. It's only with measures like those that all the blatant cheating that makes referees' jobs so difficult might be wiped out.

burnleyareback
16-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Red card any keeper who has any body part outside of the area when he kicks the ball from his hands.

Elbarad
16-04-2014, 06:18 PM
... only work ladies games and insist on giving each player a thorough pat down before the match and after half time to assure no weapons are being brought onto the pitch.

Supersub6
16-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Re post 15 -- why, what offence has he committed?

burnleyareback
16-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Supersub;,too May keepers taking their first step before releasing the ball from outside the area

Supersub6
16-04-2014, 08:56 PM
Nothing wrong if the whole of the ball is not over the line when he releases it from his hand.
You would have to get some extremely good slow motion stuff to determine whether or not he is handling the ball. The majority have it off to a fine art and often throw the ball slightly forward in any case.
The thing I would stop is this crazy situation where he can take the ball across the six yard box for a goal kick and waste time. They should go back to the kick being on the same side that the ball went out, same as the corners.

gsyclaret
16-04-2014, 09:09 PM
The obstruction rule does not seem to exist anymore, the way players jump in front of another player after he has pushed the ball passed him is blatant, also shielding the ball out for a goal kick when the defender has not touched it is also obstruction, needs sorting.

jimmymaccer
16-04-2014, 09:55 PM
kick Savage in the knackers and say...

that's for Kevin Ball

yer off!

yingyangyong
16-04-2014, 10:25 PM
wherewasi is correct
Send off any player who swore. (in time this will take a while)
Give the first thing I saw at every corner.
Book players for not getting 10 yards away from the free-kick immediately.
Allow quick free-kicks every time - (not always a viable solution on every occasion).
Book players who I thought had deliberately feigned an injury to stop the play. (At your own risk)
Book players who claim throw-ins, free-kicks, goal-kicks, corners wher I believe they could not genuinely believe their own claim.(absolutely)
Send off managers who come out of the technical area.(Yes)
Make it clear to the goalie I will be treating him as an adult and expecting him to take a reasonable amount of physical pressure.(yes)
Book any player who asks me to book or discipline another player.(Yes)
Send off any player who touches me.(Yes)
Book any player who runs up to me and complains.(Yes)

Many of the same rules are in place with the GAA (Gaelic Athletics Association) and don't take the 'edge'

jimmymaccer
16-04-2014, 10:26 PM
oh dear YYY...

yawn...

yingyangyong
16-04-2014, 10:33 PM
Dear
James
Your laboroious 'rant' has exasberated me.
Your reply shows a lack of knowledge of the game, problems facing referees, players and managers at all levels and the future of how we approach the development and sanctity of the game.
Go to bed please - the world will be a safer place without you.
This is a forum for debate.
Four letters and three full stops, hardly qualifies you to contribute.

Squarepusher
16-04-2014, 10:45 PM
I'd be dishing out cards to players who fall to the floor and grab the ball, assuming that a free kick will be given in their favour.

yingyangyong
16-04-2014, 10:52 PM
Delibeate handball - sending off offence!

dartingclaret
16-04-2014, 11:02 PM
Penalize goalkeepers who hold the ball for more than the six seconds that they are allowed. Only ever once have I seen a ref blow for this, it is blatant time wasting. But it seems very few refs know the rule or just simply choose to ignore it. Bring back the the four step rule.

yorksclaret
16-04-2014, 11:03 PM
...give out cards and fouls on the merit of the offence, not of the timing. Why shouldn't someone be booked/sent off in the first minute of a match for the same offence he would be in the last minute of a match?

...realise that a few years ago a rule was introduced whereby a back pass cannot be handled by a goalkeeper. That one has really fallen by the wayside.

...Stop the ridiculous booking of players for celebrating a goal. It's kind of the point of the game. (I know that comes from above, but so do many others on here). The refs get many decision wrong but they NEVER fail to whip out the yellow as soon as someone dares to bare their chest.

...be equally fair to both the smaller and the bigger teams and not be a psychological slave to powerful managers and clubs.

...try and find out who my real father was.

BTW, don't see anything wrong with appealing for a decision, waving an imaginary card or shielding the ball (it never was obstruction, it's holding your ground).

what_no_pies
16-04-2014, 11:17 PM
If I was a Ref I wouldn't stop the game to warn grappling players on corners. I'd let the game continue and penalize the offenders by awarding penalties and free kicks accordingly.

Also agree with with timing of fouls...the area in which an offence is committed shouldn't make a blind bit of difference either.

I'd add the relevant time on as extra time regardless of whether the 4th official can add up how much should be added for the various subs cards injuries etc.

ChrisG
16-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Back pass rule fallen by the wayside? Can't say I've ever noticed it not being given?

It has to be a deliberate pass to the keeper with the foot. Thigh, chest, etc is all fine, all is a sliced kick