PDA

View Full Version : Wigan ... our toughest test so far

kaptin1
19-04-2014, 08:33 AM
At the start of the season I felt that Wigan had the strongest squad in the division and would ultimately finish as Champions. A disappointing start under Coyle and missed league matches due to their run in Europe meant that they fell off the pace early on. However, the appointment of Rosler has transformed them into a very good side, as demonstrated by a strong run of results including their win away at Man City and their narrow defeat to Arsenal, both in the FA Cup.

Wigan go into Monday's match with momentum and still needing points to guarantee a playoff place, while our recent form has been more patchy with two defeats in a row at home and, while still defensively excellent, goals are proving harder to come by. Every match is huge now, but this is likely to be our toughest test so far. Hopefully, the 'group' will be spurred on by their hard fought win at Blackpool, while a bumper crowd will surely turn up to roar them on!

theclaret57
19-04-2014, 08:35 AM
You mean a fantastic Wigan side that have taken just 12 points from their last 8 matches.

taio
19-04-2014, 08:38 AM
Watford away was our toughest test.

SloughClarets
19-04-2014, 08:42 AM
Agree, I think Watford away was our toughest and certainly the 1 game I was worried about. Wigan will be no walkover but after losing 2 on the bounce at Turf Moor, I think we will take 6 points from both home games. No so confident for Reading away though.

stalbansclaret
19-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Owen Coyle may well end up having masterminded two Claret promotions having nicely scuppered Wigan this season with his early ineptitude.
Will be a tough game Monday but the collective will of the team and crowd will be huge.

toplockblue
19-04-2014, 08:59 AM
If we could play the team what started on satday we would give you a really good game but Uwe will rotate at least 3 players just to try and keep ayers fresh because Monday will be our 58th game of the season

warksclaret
19-04-2014, 09:00 AM
A definite test of the team spirit and SD's leader ship, plus the backing of the crowd

Tough game but do-able.Be good to get it over and 3 points

TerryCochrane
19-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Middlesbrough were our toughest test in that they've beaten us twice.

Wigan are safely in the play offs. They won't give it everything I reckon.

Akinbadbye_20
19-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Think i saw that Maloney is back watching the highlights yesterday. At his best probably the best player in this division

ClaretMoffitt
19-04-2014, 09:31 AM
We will get 1 point from our next 3 games.

Derby are unbeatable and by far the best team the Championship has seen in many a year. There is next to no doubt in my mind that they will beat us to automatics, and we will go out in the first round of the play offs.

Beat that.

Redbeard
19-04-2014, 09:39 AM
I thought Leicester away and QPR away were our toughest so far.

And good to see Toplockblue getting his excuses in early. :)

Boliclaret
19-04-2014, 09:44 AM
I was very impressed by them at City and at Wembley versus Arsenal.

So fingers crossed they'll defend on Monday like they did against Yeovil.

toplockblue
19-04-2014, 10:24 AM
I don't need excuses our record at the Turf is pretty good :D

clartet4ever
19-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Before the Middlesbrough game I thought the next two games were our best chance of 6 points and we got 3.

If we play against Wigan, Ipswich and Reading in the same way that we played in the two previous games I can't see us even getting a point.

Derby have a very easy end of season compared to us but I hope they slip up, we don't want to be going to Reading with radios needing 3 points!

taio
19-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Claret4ever, if we play like we did against Middlesbrough we will get enough points. It was an excellent performance but a freak result.

clartet4ever
19-04-2014, 10:38 AM
it was excellent but we looked like we could play all day and the goal would never come. Followed Burnley for 27 years now so I know it's not over till the fat bird sings.

DarkCloud
19-04-2014, 10:39 AM
It's a real tough game is this one. I agree with the Op that Wigan had a poor start, but once they got themselves sorted (i.e. jettisoned Coyle) they have shown they are a very good side who should really be higher even than 5th. They also have a number of players who've played in the Prem and gave an excellent account of themselves at City and against Arsenal. I'd have been happier if we'd had Volkes available as Ings clearly doesn't look the same threat without him. The betting man would probably say draw which leaves both teams looking anxiously over their shoulder. Their record at The Turf is good which doesn't help. No way do we want to go into the final match a Reading needing something to be certain.

taio
19-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Their keeper made a string of very good saves and was by far their best player. I agree we shouldn't be celebrating promotion before it's achieved, but some of the negativity is ludicrous.

clartet4ever
19-04-2014, 10:44 AM
Not negative but the goals have dried up since Vokes got injured and Ings looks a shadow of his former self. If we go behind you really do start thinking just where will the goal come from. I just hope Derby don't push us all the way and that they slip up.

taio
19-04-2014, 10:47 AM
I'd suggest saying if we play like we did against Middlesbrough we won't achieve a single point in the remaining games is negative rather than cautious.

DarkCloud
19-04-2014, 10:48 AM
I agree with that. I can't see derby dropping points so we'll need the extra 2 and we play 3 teams in the top 8 and are struggling to score. Monday could well be a draw which means it all moves to Ipswich next Saturday. It's not negative (although Bigredrose will probably call me out for it!) it's just realistic and not counting any chickens before...

theclaret57
19-04-2014, 10:49 AM
We are hardly ever likely to go behind though are we?

taio
19-04-2014, 10:52 AM
I think it's right to be cautious but suggesting Derby will pick up 9 points and we will pick up 0 points is possible but I don't think'realistic' is the best word to describe it.

clartet4ever
19-04-2014, 10:52 AM
The Middlesbrough goal was a fluke but Wigan are a different story and I can see them getting at least one. I think Ipswich at home is our best chance of three points from the remaining games.

taio
19-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Wigan is undoubtedly a hard game and we could end up getting beat - I'd take a draw now.

clartet4ever
19-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Derby's toughest game is at home to Watford, they will murder Barnsley and win at Leeds.

Redbeard
19-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Toplockblue - Too late. I can recognise excuses when I see them - and you have made them.

Well, one at least. :)

You must be heartened, btw, at all the negativity here from our resident big dolls' houses...;)

gosia
19-04-2014, 11:16 AM
We've has some tough tests as of late and in most cases come through them albeit with nerves jangling (Watford, Barnsley and Blackpool come to mind of more recent games).

However, I think Wigan will probably be our toughest as they are, without doubt, one of the best teams in the Division and rolled over Reading. we could easily lose to them but I hope we don't and go all out for a win rather than sit back and defend even though a draw may be good enough.
I do think Derby will do well in the last three games but far from certain they will win them all as I think Watford and/or Leeds will give them good games and they may drop a couple of points in either of those.

If they do then one point will suffice for us.
Hopefully we'll get that either on Monday or against Ipswich the following Saturday and then all our nerves will have evaporated.

Worst case scenario is to lose against Wigan and Derby trounce Barnsley and overhaul the goal difference and then next Saturday against Ipswich w

clartet4ever
19-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Hopefully we will find our form and bury the latics and then we can all relax.

If Ings gets a goal he will soon start banging them in again ;D

taio
19-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Anyone convinced that derby will win their remaining games and we will lose all ours should go to a bookies and put hundred quid on a six fold accumulator. It will return about 12 grand.

CombatClaret
19-04-2014, 11:21 AM
BBC seems to think we've done it?!

11:56:
Championship preview
Following Friday's Championship action when Burnley secured promotion to the top-flight, there are five games today starting with leaders Leicester hosting play-off bound QPR. The Foxes can't wrap up the title with a win but victory for QPR would all-but secure their play-off spot.

Alp12Mac
19-04-2014, 11:24 AM
We have been at our best against sides in the upper part of the table.

Leicester at home was difficult but we actually matched them for long periods of the game.Boro as stated by most was a freak result.

Wigan will be difficult, Ipswich and Reading no walkover but we have taken 7 points from 9 in the reverse fixtures, the opposition will be more than worried about what we can do to them.

If we were 8 points behind Derby with 3 games remaining and we had each others fixtures would you honestly believe we were going to finish in second place?

UTC

OneNilWade
19-04-2014, 11:26 AM
They are all tough this one is important not just because we need at least a ***** point but we need to show that we can match or beat these sides if we are to be taken seriously in the Prem...

stalbansclaret
19-04-2014, 11:52 AM
That's nonsense. These games have no bearing whatsoever on next season's prospects. The situation is unique to the here and now and strong minds, which we clearly have, will be *****.

hb_claret007
19-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Can't see us getting anything from the pie eaters, unfortunately.
Would hope to beat Ipswich on Saturday to clinch promotion. The momentum is with derby. They should win their remaining games - all in my humble opinion of course. UTC

Mike_Baldwin
19-04-2014, 12:25 PM
It will be a bloody tough test for Wigan as well.

OneNilWade
19-04-2014, 12:47 PM
It might be nonsense to you ST A but I want us to get promoted with confidence not in fear of any CS team who show a bit of form...

At some point we have to start thinking like a Prem outfit so we may as well do it now..

BLS_Claret
19-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Sorry wade, I'm with stalbans on this, too.

forzagranata
19-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Derby winning their last three games isn't an unrealistic prospect at all. They look full of confidence and did an excellent job yesterday.

Because our rare stumbles coincided with QPR and Derby also slipping up, some fans seem to have got into the mindset that this is always going to happen. It isn't the case. I can see Derby picking up nine points.

If we don't beat Wigan the pressure will be intense.

Sarum
19-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Michael Kightly made a good point on Clarets Player the other day: every footballer is a confidence player. Just at the moment Wigan's players are brimming with confidence, buoyed further by a convincing performance and result against Reading. So they pose a bit more of a threat to us than they might've done a few weeks ago.

We may be missing Sam, but(with the unlucky exception of 'Boro) we're still scoring and keeping clean sheets. So there's plenty for us (and Michael Kightly especially) to be confident about, too.

BLS_Claret
19-04-2014, 01:20 PM
I'd hoped that we wouldn't have gone into the last three games needing, potentially, something from two of them. I reckon our best chance is a win against Ipswich, but who knows how easy this would be after a defeat to Wigan. It certainly wouldn't be a relaxed affair.

However, on the positive side, we don't actually need to score another goal this season, assuming we can keep another two clean sheets.

whereeaglesfly
19-04-2014, 01:27 PM
The Wigan game will be difficult but it is a game we can win and I trust the manager and players to do their upmost to achieve a victory.Not many weeks ago Wigan were beaten at home by Millwall, stop being so bloody negative. When the going gets tough the tough get going UTC.

taio
19-04-2014, 01:29 PM
I agree Derby winning all three isn't unrealistic. Derby winning all three and us losing all three is possible but unlikely. Derby losing all three and us winning all three is possible but unlikely. I would say the most realistic outcome is derby will get another 6-7 points and we will collect at least the 2 needed.

BLS_Claret
19-04-2014, 01:31 PM
I hope the 'negative' accusation, and the way you have phrased it, isn't directed at me, eagles.

year_of_the_fox
19-04-2014, 01:40 PM
If Barnsley beat Leeds today they will give Derby a real game on Monday...but without worrying bout Derbys results I believe we can win on Monday

mikeS
19-04-2014, 01:47 PM
Definitely a big game but its winnable. We usually do well against good sides.
One game at a time.
Almost there.

BabylonClaret
19-04-2014, 02:06 PM
I do think Derby will do well in the last three games but far from certain they will win them all as I think Watford and/or Leeds will give them good games and they may drop a couple of points in either of those.

If they do then one point will suffice for us.
Hopefully we'll get that either on Monday or against Ipswich the following Saturday and then all our nerves will have evaporated.

If Derby drop any points at all we are up without needing anything at all - we could lose the last three games 10-0 if Derby even draw one game.

Wigan aren't certain of a playoff spot yet (although it's likely) - they're in exactly the same situation as us - how come we'll slip up but not them?

whereeaglesfly
19-04-2014, 02:33 PM
My remark regarding negativity was not directed against anyone in particular,I just think that negativity doesn't help anyone at all.Lets make sure that it doesn't transmit itself onto the field and the players get our full support.

Quicknick
19-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Let's be thankful that the management team and the players are not the nervy types a significant number of the fans seem to be. Am I alone in thinking there will be at least 6 points between us and Derby at the end of the season?

nonayclaret
19-04-2014, 03:22 PM
I thought the toughest time was the Forest, Derby, Barstewards, Brum, and Leeds earlier this year. The 13 points we got from these matches was unexpected by many but IMO was the turning point in our season.

claretnick
19-04-2014, 03:51 PM
Like for nonayclaret. We seem to perform better against a footballing team and I am looking forward to Monday's game, hopefully it should be a cracker. SD said yesterday that it is difficult to win any game in the championship but I am sure the preperation work put in today and tomorrow at Gawthorpe will have the team ready.

Is the crowd ready to play it's part because reading some of the wet lettuce stuff above is concerning. We can generate the atmosphere to give the guys the extra adrenaline, remember Spurs Cup semi, come on guys put the doubts to 1 side, on Monday we all need to be TOGETHER UTC...

jtv
19-04-2014, 04:10 PM
The next game is always the toughest game so far

clartet4ever
19-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Well fingers crossed for Monday but I still think Ipswich will be our best chance by far of a win.

I think Derby will get maximum points from their last 3 games, as someone else said just because QPR and Derby's poor form as coincided with our's doesn't mean this will be the case every week.

Who wouldn't swap fixtures with them? I just can't see where our goals will come from, a loss on Monday coupled with a Derby win will = Clarets Mad melt down! >:)

Mike_Baldwin
19-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Rather play Ipswich than Watford based on today .

oldcolner
19-04-2014, 07:02 PM
Wigan have played 6 home games out of the last 8 winning 5.
Less successful in their two away games drawing 1-1 away to Bolton and losing 1-0 away to QPR.
We are at home so why panic.

claret1986
19-04-2014, 07:03 PM
I can see Derby going unbeaten in their last three games, but I don't think they will win all of them.

Watford and Leeds away aren't exactly 'easy' fixtures in my opinion

ClaretAWH
19-04-2014, 07:08 PM
The stage is set, the story all but written. Easter Monday will see the second coming in the of Dyche and Burnley will celebrate hard.

BTW I know I am crap at lyrics, but can someone get hold of this and make something of it for a potential future chant..

To the tune of Let It Be..

Sean Dyche said upon to thee
1 game at time Burnleee
Speaking words of wisdom for Burneleee
Burnley Burnley Burnley Burnley
Speaking words of wisdom for Burnley.

tally
19-04-2014, 07:21 PM
"Who wouldn't swap fixtures with them? I just can't see where our goals will come from, a loss on Monday coupled with a Derby win will = Clarets Mad melt down! >:)"

Board may well be in meltdown but the team WON'T BE and SD certainly WON'T

:D

Redbeard
19-04-2014, 07:33 PM
'The next game is always the toughest game so far.'

No it isn't. :?

boyceeeunderrated
19-04-2014, 07:53 PM
well im pretty sure we would be were you are now if we had rosler from last august ;D

The Bedlington Terrier
19-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Two Lancashire sides both needing a point. Kilby and Whelan best mates. Got 1-1 written all over it!

DarkCloud
19-04-2014, 09:20 PM
A draw seems the most predictable result on Monday. It's a step nearer the promised land, but it still leaves us with it all to do against Ipswich.

FCBurnley
19-04-2014, 09:30 PM
A draw v Wigan will be a great result. Just leaves us needing a point v Ipswich ( assuming Derby win). If we lose then we effectively need to beat Ipswich. Having said all that I still think Derby will drop points somewhere on the run in. We certainly dont want to be going to Reading needing a win.

yorksclaret
19-04-2014, 09:32 PM
And the award for 'overthinker of the season' goes to the poster who believes Barnsley v Leeds today has any effect whatsoever on our promotion this season.
Fox, take a bow son.

dsr
19-04-2014, 09:47 PM
I wouldn't be so sure, Boycee. Under Rosler, you've got 39 points in 14 home games and 20 in 11 away. Average that over the 22 home and 20 away games you've played in the full season, and you'd be on 82 points - 4 behind, 1 game in hand.

Claretforever
20-04-2014, 06:38 AM
Have a look at Wigan's last 8 league games. Hardly been setting the world alight, have they?! 6 of those were at home too!

http://i1119.photobucket.com/
albums/k622/chowthefat/f0a9ce075914d2926b2b656ae0012b82.jpg

I posted this on the wrong thread earlier.

Tommy_Tomato
20-04-2014, 09:47 AM
I agree - the toughest test so far but all season we have risen to the big games. I'm thinking of Derby at home, Leicester away, QPR at home, Forest at home to a few.

Wigan will be a huge test; I am optimistic though, especially after ClaretForever's post with their last 8 League games. We have the quality to come away with the three points.

We can't rely on Derby slipping up.

UTC

whereeaglesfly
20-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Derby know they have to win every game,anything less,and they are toast.If we win tomorrow it is over so lets treat it as our final and really get behind our team.If we don't get the win then we still have two more chances,Derby don't.I know which position I would rather be in. - view external link (d)

Royconmike1
20-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Maybe people arena??t being negative- but they are showing nerves. Fine on a message board, not good if you bring that mindset along tomorrow. If youa??re not confident that we can do it, try to act as if you are at the Turf. Therea??ll be plenty of other Clarets sucking the ball into the Wigan net for 90 mins, so join in if you can. Atmosphere and support makes a difference, no doubt about it. Do your bit for the club and roar them on- it could make a difference for us.

Therea??s a good chance wea??ll be a Prem team by this time tomorrow. Ia??m certain we will be once Saturday has passed.

Derby will probably drop pointsa??.too many people analyzing their run in with this a??worst casea?? mindset. Good to focus on ourselves though, one game at a time as SD says.

Wigan are decent, but this isna??t their cup final. Ita??s ours. The collective will at the Turf tomorrow from our 11 & subs- and the 18k Clarets- wona??t be easy to for them to handle. Good chance wea??ll win. Therea??s the

clartet4ever
20-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Did you post that from your phone because it makes no sense at all? Question marks everywhere...

oldcolner
20-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Forever
For accuracy
It was Bolton 1 Wigan 1
Bogdan saved a last min penalty
Still not great away

Royconmike1
20-04-2014, 02:38 PM
I posted from a laptop- have seen this happen to other posts, too.

Weird, as whatever is going on changes the formation of some words. I spelt the abbreviated version of 'are not' correctly, yet the error adds an a and removed the apostrophe.

forzagranata
20-04-2014, 02:42 PM
The idea that some fans on this board thinking there is still plenty of work to do to gain promotion and not taking anything for granted is going to create a negative atmosphere on the Turf is ridiculous.

You could just as easily argue that people who think promotion is a done deal already, turning up in 'party mood' would create an atmosphere of complacency.

In the real world, the vast majority of the fans and all of the players and staff will know that the Wigan game is a crucial encounter that we must do all we can to win.

wickdkewlclaret
20-04-2014, 02:53 PM
I thought Leicester was the toughest test. Got 0-0 written all over this game unfortunately, but play like we did against boro and we might have a shout. We need to start hitting the net again and show some composure.

Royconmike1
20-04-2014, 03:11 PM
"The idea that some fans on this board thinking there is still plenty of work to do to gain promotion and not taking anything for granted is going to create a negative atmosphere on the Turf is ridiculous".

Is that one aimed at me Forza? Not easy to tell. Hope not, as I made the distinction between chat on a message board and atmosphere in a stadium. If nerves are brought into the stadium and transmitted onto the pitch with grumbling and moaning at the first misplaced pass, then it absolutely does make a difference IMO.

I'm sat here thinking that it requires a fully focused effort from the team over the next 3 games to ensure promotion (without watching Derby's results)- and that's what our management will ensure, based on the season's evidence.

Deffo agree with your 'party mode' comment- that wouldn't help, either.

kaptin1
20-04-2014, 05:27 PM
I agree with all the other comments that matches against Leicester, Derby and QPR were all tough tests. However, what makes this match different is, not only the quality of the opposition, but the circumstances. We are so close to the finish line now that mistakes are hard to remedy and consequently the pressure to deliver is so much higher.

I personally think this group of players has demonstrated time and again that they can cope with such pressure and so I am confident they will deliver, if not tomorrow, then against Ipswich on Saturday. I think it is unlikely we will go to Reading needing a win. However, if that is the case then the pressure on that match will be even higher than for tomorrow.

It is also worth remembering what Dyche said about Wigan after the away match. Words to the effect that he was happy with the draw (indeed he even suggested we played for the draw) and that Wigan would be strong in the second half of the season. Dyche is well aware of the quality of t