PDA

View Full Version : Stag weekend in Riga (Latvia.)

Dejavu2014
05-06-2014, 09:11 PM
About 20 of us going on a stag do to Riga for a long weekend. Anyone been?? What to look out for where to go etc.

LoveCurryPies
05-06-2014, 09:44 PM
My 23 year old son went recently. Said he wouldn't go again. Not many bars and few aggressive Russians. Not much to do. Hope you think it's better !

cheshireclaret
05-06-2014, 10:45 PM
I have been on 7 stag do's abroad and I'm sorry to say the one in Riga was by far the worst.

As it happens, because there were 25 of us, we seemed to actually get away unscathed but the place is full of Latvian men built like barn doors all looking for the first opportunity to have a ruck. Be warned - if you wish to frequent places where ladies entertain you with their clothing removal, their favourite trick is to lock you in and demand Lats from you to secure your release. We avoided this tactic but I have heard 4 different accounts of this practice, so just watch out.

We found the place boring and, mainly because they knew we were British, nothing like as cheap as you'd expect.

As above, I hope your trip is better , (a fair number of the lads on this one were muppets which didn't help) and certainly I wouldn't say you will hate it (there are enough bars etc) but just watch yourselves.

I hope you enjoy the trip!

Peter_Nobles_Wig
05-06-2014, 10:51 PM
They demand Lats? I thought they were part of the EU!

Riga is a beautiful city spoiled by the usual Eastern Bloc corruption and Ruskies who believe that they are the real Mafia!!!

Be careful!!!

cheshireclaret
05-06-2014, 11:03 PM
Ah well there you go, shows how long ago it was when I went - probably 8 or 9 years? Although I am sure they were still using Lats last year when a mate went so I assume it's a very recent currency change?

Pieandapint
05-06-2014, 11:18 PM
Some decent places, some bizarre places, some really, really nice looking women and some real miserable looking blokes who'd probably give Tyson a pasting! It does have a strange feel about the place and probably best to be on your guard, certainly don't get caught ****ing on a statue like a drunken muppet in our group did!

We had a good laugh there but for a stag type destination it's certainly no Prague.

Peter_Nobles_Wig
05-06-2014, 11:22 PM
I remember driving from England to Latvia (some years ago now). As we drove through Lithuania, we were stopped for speeding on a dirt track they called a road. The beer-swilling cop in the Lada offered me a breathaliser test. He became quite indignant when I suggested that he was the one that should take it!!!

$20 later and we were on our way. Corruption used to rule and I am not convinced that it has gone away!

As I said previously, be careful!!!

mansfieldCLARETS
06-06-2014, 07:22 AM
its not the best place i did a regular delivery there the last one being last year, not a place id go for a stag weekend, 20 lads from the uk and beer lots of ruskies thinking there the dogs, only one thing will happen FIGHT FIGHT :s :blue:

cockneyclaret
06-06-2014, 07:31 AM
All depends on your group whether you'll have a good time or not..
Ive been on a fair few of recent stag do's with some complete bellends and left them to it..
But others which like myself know how to behave even if ive had 10pints in me..

Its all like an away game really!
Be good or be bad and take a slap :-)

jt_claret
06-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Went on a stag do there a few weeks ago. As much as it was a great weekend, I wouldn't go back.

10 of us went, and found the locals very rude.
We'd read up on the warnings so stayed fairly sensible, but imagine it wouldn't take much as a couple of times they tried to provoke us.
One of the lads had his glasses broken with a push to the face by a guy handing out flyers because he didn't want to go.

wherewasi
06-06-2014, 04:51 PM
Great city to go to but, then again, I didn't go on a stag do...

PragueClaret
06-06-2014, 06:44 PM
I have to ask why you have chosen Riga.

Is it because the flights are cheap ?

Not a good place for a stag party, as others have mentioned there aren't that many pubs, and the Russian locals are aggressive.

The Latvians are fine,though.

alpo
06-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Agree with most of the above. It's not long since it was a police state and you do get the impression it still is.

Best place was the Sky bar...can't remember its...top floor bar in a high rise building full of the Latvian upper crust totty. Very nice view inside and out and not that expensive.

The dive bars are high risk. They don't pi$$ about if you cause trouble, don't expect innocence to count for anything.

Wouldn't go back which says it all.

Iamaclaret
06-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Went on a stag do there 2 years ago, so things may have changed, but, we had a good weekend, which did unfortunatly involve 1 or 2 issues with the locals.

With bars, be very careful of any with cashpoints within them or next door to them (Russian owned). StripClubs - avoid.

Paddy whealans Irish bar, Alberts, Red Lion, club essential and Skybar are the 'safest', mainly as the locals don't tend to go in. Scandals is a good club, but you will be directed upstairs as soon as they notice your English.

Oh, and it is 'illegal' to be drunk in public. And most bars and clubs don't open on Saturdays.

My advise would be to make paddy whealans your first stop, as the landlord will advise you with the latest goings on and where to avoid.

burnleyareback
07-06-2014, 06:15 AM
I had my Stag Do there about 6 years ago and about a week after we booked it the media suddenly went crazy about how dangerous it can be.

We had a good weekend, the beauty for the stag was that the rest of the party became so scared about being knee capped/ beaten up/ held hostage etc that nobody put a foot out if line and I got home without being pranked.

Stick to the main bars on the main roads, some good suggestions already.

karatekid
07-06-2014, 09:12 AM
I went to Blackpool on mine. Great day on the lash ( get it )! and only 40 minutes away from my own bed ;D

You can keep your fancy stag do's , stay in blighty , its safer.

wherewasi
07-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Just have to stand up for Riga a bit against the stuff being written on here. Most of the posters went to Riga for a specific sort of holiday/weekend/experience and got it - good and bad no doubt. The OP is asking about a similar weekend so I guess it's fair you advise him of what you saw.

However, I went to visit the city and it's a good place to visit and see. So if you want to go out and get smashed and find trouble, sounds like it's there for you; I assume that's not much different to anywhere else.

But if you actually want to visit the city and enjoy the Old Town, see the Museum of the Occupation of Latvia, visit the churches (particularly enjoyed the art in the Orthodox Nativity of Christ Cathedral), gawp for a few hours at the Jugendstil district in the North of the city, visit the Latvian National Railway Museum, find a quiet restaurant and have a great feed of chilled borscht, Ceppelini and rye bread dessert with kvass for a tenner... that and a whole pile that I never go

clarethomer07
07-06-2014, 09:28 AM
But if you actually want to visit the city and enjoy the Old Town, see the Museum of the Occupation of Latvia, visit the churches (particularly enjoyed the art in the Orthodox Nativity of Christ Cathedral), gawp for a few hours at the Jugendstil district in the North of the city, visit the Latvian National Railway Museum, find a quiet restaurant and have a great feed of chilled borscht, Ceppelini and rye bread dessert with kvass for a tenner... that and a whole pile that I never got round to is there too.

Something from the title of the thread tells me that absolutely none of these things will be on the agenda...

wherewasi
07-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Never been on one so wouldn't know myself but yes, I assumed that which is why I said... "The OP is asking about a similar weekend so I guess it's fair you advise him of what you saw."

However, the thread quickly deteriorated into a list of things that show how sh1t Riga is generally. Which it isn't.

loyalclaret
07-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Have to agree with the horror stories above, I didn't go on stag do but en route to football.
Walked down stairs in to what turned out to be a strip club (didn't know-honest :D ) a middle aged English bloke came over from a group of four, said "leave now, whilst you can. They are trying to charge us..." At this point the old women behind the bar started shouting at this bloke who wasn't your typical idiot, and a massive bouncer appeared blocking the door at the foot of the stairs. We felt tight leaving but he pleaded with the women that they didn't owe anything and told us to leave.

The bars stayed open 24 hr from what I remember but there were dodgy guys flyering on street who got quite aggressive.

Two lads on the flight to Riga didn't have visas for Russia, they went to the embassy in Riga and were told you couldn't get them in this country. They walked out the building, a black merc pulled and asked if they wanted visa. They handed over their passports and cash, and meet the mafi

Dejavu2014
08-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Well, it should certainly be eventful then!!