PDA

View Full Version : Beware: Bogus Java Update

BB8
08-06-2014, 09:38 AM
Just a quick warning for other messageboard users:

For the second time in a week, I have visited this messageboard and have been instantly redirected to a website called www.updowntuv.com, which claims that the Java software on your PC is out of date.

At first glance it looks like a genuine request, and may fool some people, but it is more sinister than that.

I would strongly advise not to click on the link (or to visit this website) as a quick search as it is trying to install malware on your PC.

Stay safe.

DiBranchio
08-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Cheers for the heads up BB8.

wherewasi
08-06-2014, 10:21 AM
Hopefully you've got decent anti-virus and up-to-date OS / browser. I'm surprised they don't stop you going to that site - it's been blocked at stopbadware.org

This issue seems rampant at the minute (just saw a few other random forums having same problem deviantart.org, subaruforester.org...).

The other thing you need to come here is adb1ockplus (unsurprisingly footymad won't let me type that in correctly - replace the number '1' with letter 'l'). I got it specifically because of concerns about footymad - the ads are definitely full of malware of various kinds. Not surprising the way the footymad site is "run" - but definitely get it installed.

tufwick
08-06-2014, 12:34 PM
Many thanks for that post, wherewasi

jimmyrobbo
08-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Thanks to all there for info plus BB8 for the warning.

whittyclaretandblue
08-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Worth checking for these 2 on your PC. cryptolocker and gameoverzeus - view external link (https://www.getsafeonline.org/nca/)