PDA

View Full Version : who can afford to see the world cup ?

butterflyvenom
11-06-2014, 12:04 AM
At a rough guess, it seems like travelling to and from Brazil and taking in the odd group game would cost around seven thousand pounds. Given that most sensible fans would only wish to travel that far with a belief that the team would progress to the latter stages and then want to go to those matches, how much money are people actually forking out on average. I find it staggering to be honest. I don't inhabit the world where fans can afford such an excursion, do any of you out there know of such fans? I am frankly staggered at the exhorbitant costings of following the national team to this country. Apparantly , over 700,000 fans are about to descend on Brazil from every country represented.
The ones I see being interviewed are akin to extras from made in Chelsea, strutting about on the beach and saying Yah a lot. they resemble Prince Harry. Is it the same mob that call themselves the barmy army and follow cricket and rugby union tours. they don't resemble or sound like lads fr

GordonvaleClaret
11-06-2014, 04:05 AM
Ever heard the terms "work hard" and "save up"?

Many people do those and spend it on things like cars, boats and bikes, simply because that's what they want. Some may want to spend it on a trip to Brazil and take in some World Cup matches.

Sidney1st
11-06-2014, 04:58 AM
I heard an interview with one bloke who used some of his house deposit money to buy tickets etc.
He got conned that time, but he's managed to get actual flights and tickets now.

I suppose it's a one off thing going to a World Cup in Brazil , so people will make the effort, but I suspect some credit cards will be taking a hammering.

clentclaret
11-06-2014, 06:07 AM
What total rubbish

I'm going. I have a well paid job, as does my wife and we are very fortunate and have worked hard

I'm certainly no extra from made in Chelsea

Not sure where 7k comes from. It will be just over 2 when all's finished. As someone alluded to, don't spend much on material things I prefer experiences.

So I am fortunate but also this is what I choose to spend my money on

belgianclaret
11-06-2014, 06:22 AM
Everyone's entitled to spend his money on what she/he wants.

I'm an avid footie fan, travel a lot to see games, but wouldn't spend a single dime on traveling to the WC tournament simply because - in my opinion - it's a detestable money scam by FIFA

minniemouth
11-06-2014, 08:04 AM
I went to Euro88 and the Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh and Manchester. As I'm not in a 'barmy' club and just want the sport I now feel you're better off at home. Buy the big telly, stock up the fridge and enjoy every game without the hassle.

edison
11-06-2014, 08:30 AM
I've been to both the Euros and a WC as a neutral, because I saved well in advance.

I wasn't able to afford Poland when Ireland qualified because I spent loads more money than before flying over for Burnley matches between 2008 and 2012.

I'm already saving for France, even though Ireland will probably balls that up.

LancasterClaret
11-06-2014, 08:32 AM
People with boats on secluded English Lakes?

ClaretMatt4
11-06-2014, 09:08 AM
I sold my boat to buy a ticket for a game.

Now how do i get there?

tiger1971
11-06-2014, 09:45 AM
About 10 days ago the BBC challenged one of their researchers to find flights, hotels and transprt for the World Cup.

They came back with a package that totalled 1800.00 for one person, included flights from the UK, flights, coaches and trains in Brazil as well as hotel accomodation for the whole of the Group stage. No tickets were included though.

Hull, Yorkshire & England

TRIBESMEN
11-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Our plan was if Ireland got to Brazil we were going to sell the wife's car ( it is worth a lot more than mine ), hey it would have been hard when we got back but that was the plan .
A bit like Edison been to two world cups and a Euro and seen every game that Ireland played in them while i was there . Missed out on Germany 88 and Japan and Korea 02
Unforgatable times ...

the_quoon
11-06-2014, 09:59 AM
1800 is decent considering how close that was to the tournament.

TuftyBeamish
11-06-2014, 10:26 AM
I'm struggling to get enthused enough to watch England(or the World Cup in general) on television, so fair play to anyone who's prepared to travel to see them.

loyalclaret
11-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Few of my mates out there at the minute, think with flights/accom/couple of tickets and spends they were looking at about 3000.

From the pictures they been sending back and stories they are relaying, sounds like a good trip so far B)

Longsider
11-06-2014, 01:21 PM
Football games are just a part of it. Its experiencing a country, meeting new people, having a laugh, with a few football games thrown in. I've only been to the World Cup in Germany, and what a brilliant time that was, despite the England team under performing.

WeirClaret
11-06-2014, 01:29 PM
TBH I will be working all the weekends so not really bothered after the last world cup debacle I have lost my appetite with anything that England's involved in
Having said that cant wait for the Premier League fixtures to be announced and Burnley first signing :D

clentclaret
11-06-2014, 07:58 PM
Longsider has got it in one. Spot on.

Also spending the weekend before I go on my boat, on windermere;D

butterflyvenom
12-06-2014, 12:04 AM
I have no issues or axe to grind about people spending their hard earned in any way they choose, just thought it all looked a bit pricey to be honest. I see flags/banners every time England play when it's televised.
Majority of the teams the supporters display these banners for are usually lower league outfits. It's as if there is no genuine support across the divisions, instead, England seems to be a rallying point for travelling fans of lesser lights. You rarely see Liverpool, United , Chelseas around the lower tiers. The country unifies through a mixture of media pressure, advertisments and a vague recognition of patriotism and genuine excitement. Burnley is my abiding passion, I must admit to a fascination with the competition about to unfold. It is intriguing and will inevitably produce moments of bliss.

TRIBESMEN
12-06-2014, 05:51 AM
Easy one for you Butterfly the reason why you see lower leagues flags is that teams like Man Yoo and Chelseas fans spend all their hard earned cash going to european games their clubs are in . I doubt you will see that many Burnley flags as you know that you will get beaten to death with the prices of going to the Emirates thhis season and other grounds .
Two things i have very little of while going to watch International games is time and money , when the draw was made for the Euro's in Februay i had booked off my whole holidays for the year the week after it . Now i just hope i don't get weddings or deaths this year as i am really stuck .

Alp12Mac
12-06-2014, 11:06 AM
I went to see Scotland v Zaire, it was a fantastic experience and back then a ticket was less than 2 quid.