PDA

View Full Version : Le Tour: Yorkshire

karatekid
03-07-2014, 06:55 PM
Cant see another thread on this so I thought I'd find out if any fellow clarets madders are planning on going to watch the TDF as it passes through the dales.

If so where are you going to watch from as the road closures are a plenty. I'm probably going to Skipton for the spectator hub but intend to walk up to the bypass and up the road a way that leads to grassinton to watch them go by.
Shame Sir brad wont be there but we have froome. :)

alp
03-07-2014, 07:03 PM
I am thinking whether to bother or whether to give it a miss, I was planning on getting my Mrs to drop me off on the outskirts of Skipton near Broughton Hall and walking into Skipton or up where you mentioned on the Grassington Rd; I quite fancied photographing the whole event.

Then I was thinking of going to Howarth on Sunday, by which route not sussed out.

Like you say, the road closures will be the main issue through the weekend and the ability to get anywhere near, and all for about 1 minute of watching it pass by. Decision will be made on Saturday morning for me as to whether I can be bothered or whether to do something else.

Good link below with some info for the tour - view external link (http://letour.yorkshire.com/travel/travel-information-map)

alp
03-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Also a youtube guide for the cyclists - view external link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xidmgvk5iOI)

iand61
03-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Thought about driving to Tod, parking up and then walking along the canal to HB and watching it there but the thoughts of another 25000 sharing the view put me off. Probably end walking the couple of metres from the fridge to the telly and watching with a beer instead.

summitclaret
03-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Haworth or Hebden Bridge on Sunday is worth considering.

Sadly, the best place to watch and also take in the wonderful scenery of Yorkshire is on tele.

karatekid
03-07-2014, 07:14 PM
There will be plenty of places that are crowd free to watch the race go by. It will just take a little bit of a walk to find one but when you do and the whole entourage goes by followed by the riders and with a great atmosphere you will be glad you made the effort and witnessed one of the worlds greatest sporting events first hand.

You can watch the rest on tv. You may even get on tv yourself as they go by :D

barnsey
03-07-2014, 07:18 PM
I think I'll walk down my drive here in Sheffield to watch it! ;-) Village is looking cracking at the moment, and there's a beer festival the night before :-) Keep your eyes peeled for the "Sheffield Clarets" claret and blue St. George's flag! :-)

iand61
03-07-2014, 07:19 PM
It will be a spectacle for anyone within easy reach of pert of the route but I'd imagine all roads within miles which aren't officially shut will be by the sheer volume of traffic.
There will certainly be better days to visit the Yorkshire Dales than Saturday I'd immagine.

davet
03-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Road problems... they've started already... had to go to Harrogate today... took an hour to get from the edge of town to where I wanted to be... but you could feel the excitement of the whole thing... helicopters overhead... huge artics and lorries with Tour logos and team logos on the roads... the decorations, the wonderful way that the painted bicycles laden with flower baskets line the roundabouts and dual carriageways. Towns and villages like Spofforth and Wetherby transformed with flags and tableaux. Brilliant

oO0sLoPpYpLoPpY0Oo
03-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Comes right past my place of work in Skipton :D

Quattro
03-07-2014, 07:46 PM
I know it is a big event, but I can't understand the excitement that Rochdale Council are trying to generate about the whole event - the even passes through the Greater Manchester area, albeit probably the most extreme and remote part, for just under a one kilometer length as it passes from Cragg Vale towards Blackstone Edge and onto Rippinden.

Cragg Vale would be a good spot to watch it, on the junction up from Cragg Valle at the junction of the A58, because that left turn is almost like turning back on yourself, so the race will slow down dramatically.

I'd love to have gone, but with people saying that you'll need to be in place by 10.00am along this stretch, yet it's not expected to pass until approx 1.00pm, a 3 hour wait with two young kids is a big ask, despite the roadshow event and the chance of a freebie!

iand61
03-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Thought about Cragg Vale Blackstone edge junction myself and it would be a good spot.
If I walk from home it's only an 18 mile round trip.

thewellernut70
03-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Car park space booked at Askham Bar Park and Ride,Hotel in York City centre booked and a view at the start of day 2 from York Racecourse sorted.

Should be good

LoveCurryPies
03-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Davet, I agree with you. Atmosphere in Harrogate today was incredible! Lot of rumours of David Beckham, Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie, Prince Harry, William & Kate staying in Harrogate for Tour. It's not likely to happen again for many years. Record what's on telly and get out and see the real thing. You can't capture atmosphere on tv. There must be some great viewpoints near Todmorden and Hebden Bridge.

yorksclaret
03-07-2014, 11:39 PM
Been up Whafedale tonight. Villages looking fantastic, bunting and yellow bikes everywhere. Surprisingly quiet though, just a few locals in the boozers. Guess tomorrow's the big arrival day for most folk.

BTW that YouTube video is awful. Seriously bad. For a proper Yorkshire **** take, check out the Hale and Pace Yorkshire Airlines video.

yorksclaret
03-07-2014, 11:40 PM
p*i*s*s

FFS

claret78
04-07-2014, 07:43 AM
"Lot of rumours of David Beckham, Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie, Prince Harry, William & Kate staying in Harrogate for Tour"

OMG how can you contain your excitement!!! Imagine if you saw them in REAL LIFE!!! Would you wet yourself????!!!!

LoveCurryPies
04-07-2014, 08:03 AM
" OMG how can you contain your excitement!!! Imagine if you saw them in REAL LIFE!!! Would you wet yourself????!!!! "

Yes. ;D

LoveCurryPies
04-07-2014, 08:18 AM
Given the huge number of Germans that have come over to see the tour, it might be thought a little insensitive that the Lancaster bomber, Spitfire & Hurricane will perform a WW2 flypast at Harewood House. :)

the_quoon
04-07-2014, 08:30 AM
i can't see the point in making all that effort to see approximately 10 seconds of bikes going past.

plus, watching the tour de france anywhere excapt france, isn't really watching the tour de france, is it.

edison
04-07-2014, 08:36 AM
While tt'd be amazing to see live, just like when the Giro came to Ireland this year, it's one of those sports that is better to watch on TV.

Rileybobs
04-07-2014, 09:32 AM
I'm sat looking out of the window at the teams' camp here in Leeds, quite a hubbub around the city. I think I'll pop into town to watch the start tomorrow morning.

LoveCurryPies
04-07-2014, 09:49 AM
quoon, There are so many cyclists that it apparently takes 6 minutes for them all to go by.

evensteadiereddie
04-07-2014, 09:58 AM
This is absolutely genuine (I know that instantly makes you suspicious but here goes).
My brother in law worked in a bank in Leeds and one of his old work buddies arranged her wedding at Olton Hall, Leeds (spelling?)two years ago.
The Tour dates were announced and the happy couple were told, nicely, that the wedding would have to be cancelled and would they be prepared to negotiate an amicable settlement.
A few weeks later, a letter arrives with a cheque signed by Beckham for...three hundred thousand. Bugger all for him, of course, but they accepted. Makes you wonder how much they could have held out for.
T'rumour is that's where Beckham, Prince William etc are all going to holed up for the weekend.

thewellernut70
04-07-2014, 10:08 AM
"watching the tour de france anywhere excapt france, isn't really watching the tour de france, is it."

Other sports outsource their events to other countries

I think it's a case a recognition that the Brits having won the last two Tours,it just happens Yorkshire won the bidding to stage two days of the event

the_quoon
04-07-2014, 10:20 AM
6 minutes isn't really a great advance on 10 seconds considering the effort to get to a position where you'll actually see anything.

i understand the whole 'i was there' thing but it seems easier - and probably far more enjoyable - to go and see it in france.

TuftyBeamish
04-07-2014, 10:27 AM
I'll be washing my hair the day it comes by so will, unfortunately, miss it.

Colburn_Claret
04-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Ther are quite a few places set up for watching the race both live and on screen.
Leyburn and Masham have events on all day, beer tents included and a big screen.

Catterick has a few places such as the Golf Club that are offering park and cycle facilities, for those who want to turn up on the day. Driving to the course isn't an option.

I'll, hopefully, be on the top of Grinton Moor. Look out for my new Burnley shirt when they cross the line for KOTM points.

UTC

evensteadiereddie
04-07-2014, 10:59 AM
I hope to be by the res at the top end of Haworth - the BFC flag will be prominent.

beddie
04-07-2014, 11:18 AM
From my office window on the High Street here in Skipton.

billyhamilton82
04-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Setting off up to Hawes now as all roads close at 6pm.

We are camping and watching the football in Hawes then a trek up Buttertubs in the morning and it will take them considerably longer than 6 minutes to get up there.

Then back down to wharfedale rugby club on saturday evening for a party ready for them passing through again sunday afternoon.

Some of my mates already there say its a fantastic atmosphere jam packed with thousands of Dutch... orange and cowbells everywhere supposedly ?????

LoveCurryPies
04-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Watching on tv is fine but you don't really feel the atmosphere or catch the smell of frying burgers. ;D

BobS_2014
04-07-2014, 12:10 PM
We're going to Skipton (early!) to make a day of it. The "caravane" (parade) before the cyclists lasts 2 hours apparently, and it won't be a 10 second whoosh even if by that early stage 50 mins in they won't have strung out much. Should still be a spectacle and we can hang around in the afternoon and maybe watch the finish on the big screen.

I'm hoping the disappointingly wet forecast dampens numbers though!

Claret_Russ
04-07-2014, 12:10 PM
As far as effort effort / reward ratio goes it's right up there with the 2012 clamour to hang around in the rain for hours to watch some z-list celebrity jog past a retail park with a candle. Half of Yorkshire will be gridlocked as people spend an entire day tryng to find a vantage point from where they can watch 5 minutes worth of cyclists riding past at 30mph, 95% of whom they will never even have heard of and the other 5% they probably won't recognise anyway. The anticlimax must be excrutiating.

Have a good day, folks!

evensteadiereddie
04-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Bloody hell, Russ, try typing in "S-A-M-A-R-I-T-A-N-S"...you'll feel much better.
Just one request, if you're going to chuck yourself off a bridge, don't do it on the Tour route, there's a good lad.:D

LancasterClaret
04-07-2014, 12:23 PM
Russ must live on the route!

Claret_Russ
04-07-2014, 12:35 PM
If I lived on the route I'd make sure I was on holiday this week! At the very least I'd close the curtains. Obviously a slightly OTT response to balance the thread out slightly but I genuinely don't get the appeal. I guess I'm naturally hype averse - and in this instance the hype seems to massively outweigh the experience on offer.

thewellernut70
04-07-2014, 12:54 PM
For me it's not just the race (or the relatively short time it will take to pass),it's about what goes on before and after,milling around York for the weekend,browsing the many special attractions laid on,taking in the vibe as well as some alcoholic refreshments. Also I view it as being educational for my daughters B) :) ;)

aggi
04-07-2014, 02:38 PM
I have the day off on Monday to watch. The question is whether, after watching it come through in North London, I'll be able to cycle into London fast enough to catch the end ...

yorksclaret
04-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Easier to go and see it in France?

A large glass of what quoon's been on, please.

the_quoon
04-07-2014, 03:50 PM
languedoc.

anyway, you missed out "and probably far more enjoyable".

loads more places to see it in france which means more of a dispersed crowd which means easier to see it.

beats cramming in with 2 million (apparently) other people along a couple of short stages.

Rileybobs
04-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Can't say I see the great appeal myself but it seems a bit ignorant to miss it when I can walk 10 minutes to the start line.

tjgh25
04-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Looking forward to hopping on the train to Keighley from Saltaire to catch the Tour De France from the Spectator Hub in Victoria Park. Doubt will be able to get near the actually route to see the competitors go past. Imagine will be much easier to see them all on the big screen than in person behind ranks of people :)

yorksclaret
04-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Quoon- I'd stop digging if I were you mate.

FCBurnley
04-07-2014, 07:31 PM
Heard on the grapevine that they are repainting some traffic lights in Worksop. Much more entertaining than watching a load of drugged up cyclists.

ProfesssorPiehead
04-07-2014, 08:53 PM
Clone was turtle gridlock earlier

Bolloxed my homeward commute

Anyroad up

I'll be washing my hare the day it comes by so will, unfortunately, miss it

bfcjg
04-07-2014, 09:09 PM
I'll take on the drugged up over paid over engineered lab developed cyclists on my chopper any day of the week, I just need 3 gears, imitation leather seat and a weetabix to get the yellow jersey.
Link below for the under 30's :D - view external link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eifIlgEJkL0)

the_quoon
04-07-2014, 11:04 PM
"Quoon- I'd stop digging if I were you mate."

digging what?

point is i'd rather make the effort to watch the tour in france rather than in england.

no worries if you'd rather not.

westyorkclaret
05-07-2014, 09:14 AM
The place has gone Le Bonkers

I live on the outskirts of Guiseley a mile or so from the nearest point of Le Tour in Otley.

Swarms and Swarms of people walking past our road since 7:00 this morning

goalposts
05-07-2014, 11:21 AM
1 CLARET SHIRT SEEN AS THEY DEPARTED HAREWOOD HOUSE,,,GOOD LAD

claretchrish
05-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Didnt take long for the first casualty. - view external link (http://tinyurl.com/tourdebatley)

PragueClaret
05-07-2014, 12:40 PM
My home town of Skipton looks sublime on TV.

The Dales look amazing, as well.

Am looking forward to my visit this summer, even with the outrageous beer prices !

stevie_thunder
05-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Even though I'm a cyclist I had become cynical with the whole Grand Depart, thanks in main to Look North who've managed to crowbar a Tour story into every evening's news for about a year.

However, this morning was fantastic. I was about a mile from the start, and yes, it's all passed by in seconds but the number of people there and the atmosphere made for a great experience.

Then went to watch for a while on the big screen in the city centre and again, the atmosphere in and around the city was great in including a pop-up Carribean Carnival (not exactly cycling related, but added to the event).

Now back home and enjoying the scenery on the telly. Certainly got my enthusiasm for it back now.

Also, seeing it live makes you realise what a massive logistical operation is involved.

stalbansclaret
05-07-2014, 01:52 PM
claretchrish...that made me laugh.

iand61
05-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Clarets flag and a couple of shirts in the crowd on the Buttertubs.
Amazing how many people have made the trip up there although I'd imagine it's one of the best places to see it.

Alp12Mac
05-07-2014, 01:54 PM
TV coverage is really good. Clarets flag and guy wearing a 'Turf' tee shirt up at Buttertubs.

davet
05-07-2014, 01:54 PM
astonishing scenes at le Buttertubs

thewellernut70
05-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Astonishing the scenes over Buttertubs (including a Claret and Blue flag,top left)

The british do really make an effort for sports events like no other country imo

stevie_thunder
05-07-2014, 01:58 PM
After seeing those scenes on Buttertubs I'm really tempted to get out to one of the climbs tomorrow.

thewellernut70
05-07-2014, 02:01 PM
After the scenes today Ive actually revised my travel plans.Instead of driving up to York,me and the family are now booked on a train

iand61
05-07-2014, 02:06 PM
It's certainly been a good advert for how beautiful the Dales are.
I've done a lot of walking up there over the years and much prefer it to the Lakes.
Hopeful to get my viewing point towards the summit of the road up from Cragg Vale although I'd expect it being busy as it's the nearest place from much of Greater Manchester.
Maybe an outing for a Burnley shirt.

todclaret
05-07-2014, 02:13 PM
For those travelling over tomorrow, the A646 from Tod down to Hebden Bridge will be closed from 06:30 on Sunday morning, I'd expect similar for the top road from the Kettledrum.
Follow the link for more details.

I'm told that the authorities are expecting 50,000 people in the Hebden Bridge/Cragg Vale area tomorrow. Expect the pubs to be packed... - view external link (http://letour.yorkshire.com/the-grand-d%C3%A9part-2014/road-closures)

iand61
05-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Thanks Todclaret.
I'm going to walk from Bacup.and hopefully watch from Blackstone Edge although with 60 thousand expected I better take my own glass.

todclaret
05-07-2014, 02:23 PM
once in Tod, I'd suggest walking along the canal bank as that will take you directly to Hebden Bridge, and Mytholmroyd if you want to walk further, or hiking over Stoodley Pike to Cragg Vale. You could even follow the Pennine Way south to the White House pub on the A58 as the top of Cragg Vale Road is a short way off.

thewellernut70
05-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Buttertubs complete with Claret and Blue flag

http://i61.tinypic.com/2h3dikw.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/23lgvpw.jpg

iand61
05-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Thanks Tod.
Was going to do the canal to Hebden but will likely be to busy so Up by Gaddings and along the PW at Warland as far as White Holme Reservoir.
The path at the side of the drain then heads straight towards The Cragg Vale road about half a mile down from the A58 junction..
18 mile round trip I've worked it out at so might be better taking my own beer as well as glass.
Bit of a trek for 2 minutes viewing but it's a once in a lifetime thing so worth it unless it's peeing down of course.

alp
05-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Superb day in Skipton, absolutely rammed with people and plenty of Burnley shirts on show

http://i58.tinypic.com/90yes5.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/jkal3s.jpg

todclaret
05-07-2014, 03:53 PM
just seen this regarding the trains today... - view external link (http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/main-topics/general-news/train-doesn-t-take-the-strain-as-spectators-flock-to-yorkshire-1-6713)

Walton
05-07-2014, 03:54 PM
The Claret as they left the grounds of Harewood may well have been me. Had the last PL campaign shirt on.

Got myself a nice spot, and will upload a couple of pics in a bit.

Walton
05-07-2014, 04:00 PM
These are screenshots of a video I took...
http://i62.tinypic.com/jio102.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/9u9s88.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/2hfice8.jpg

stevie_thunder
05-07-2014, 04:42 PM
Just out of interest, how do the crowds at the race today compare to other countries the tour has visited?

Do all the countries embrace it like we have or do they tend to be a bit more 'meh'?

MAPinChina
05-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Why is itd "Tour De France" when it's not ?

stevie2112
05-07-2014, 04:52 PM
The crowd on Buttetubs rivalled any i have seen at L'Alpe D'Huez for noise and excitement.

oO0sLoPpYpLoPpY0Oo
05-07-2014, 05:05 PM
What a perfect day ,I have never seen anything like this before,Skipton was heaving,a fantastic spectacle..
Well done Yorkshire.

thewellernut70
05-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Good stuff Walton

I must say I'm beginning to get the buzz for tomorrow already

Although it looks to be a bad one for Cav (broken collar bone by the looks/sounds of it)

iand61
05-07-2014, 06:14 PM
Just hope the weather is as good tomorrow as it has been today.
Looking forward to it now.

yorksclaret
05-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Amazing scenes up Buttertubs, meanwhile just north of Alice Springs a blinking quoon emerges.

LancasterClaret
05-07-2014, 07:14 PM
Anyone who hasn't seen the crowds at buttertubs needs to give it a look.

Wishing I'd gone now, but it would have been a load of hassale just getting there.

Nice bike ride with the family instead!

Yorkshire_Claret
05-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Watched at the far side of Buttertubs.

Amazing crowds and sights can't believe the speeds they hit going round the corner from Buttertubs onto the road into Muker.

hampsteadclaret
05-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Post 71..Stevie

From TV today the crowds on all parts of the route (especially Leeds and nearby) were as good as anywhere I've seen. I am not a cycling expert but I have been watching the Tour on Channel 4 and Eurosport for 20 years and today was special...it showed Yorkshire to it's best advantage and the Dales looked really good. How did all those people get up Buttertubs without any vehicles in view? That was well impressive.
I have seen massive crowds at the top of climbs in the Pyrenees but there are thousands of cars and motorhomes up there.
Tomorrow should be another good day, a different type of race..more big crowds.
I'll get involved on Monday when they get down south...Stevie..the Tour goes to Holland next summer, they love their cycling there don't they.

hampsteadclaret
05-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Post72..marketing, advertising, publicising the race, ensuring that more people see it as a live event..it is obviously also pushing 'cycling' as a travel to work, and leisure option.

Some major America Football matches have been played at Wembley I believe, for similar reasons.
Hope that helps.

ClaretSi
05-07-2014, 09:59 PM
I was in Harrogate. Got within 125 metres of the finish line and one deep away from the barrier although I was stood there for 6 hours waiting! The big screen and the various people coming along and throwing freebies into the crowd helped pass the time.

Got the 6.12 train from Burnley and although it got busier as it headed into Yorkshire it wasnt too bad. Got there to see them painting the finish line on the road. Heard horror stories from people who tried to get from Leeds to Harrogate after the start. Had a couple of pints in Harrogate hoping the crowds would ease but we ended up queueing round the block and then some. Initially thought we would be there a hell of a long time but was away within 30 mins. Excellent stuff by the train companies after the event in getting people away.

Didnt see the crash although it was only about 100 metres away outside the tea rooms and was concentrating on the sprint whizzing past when i saw the crash up the road. Cavendish looked in real pain wh

stevie_thunder
06-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Two hours into stage 2 and fantastic scenes everywhere again.

Great seeing the route go along such familiar roads.

Can't wait to see the scenes on Holme Moss, it sounds like they will eclipse those on Buttertubs and Gritton Moor yesterday.

the_quoon
06-07-2014, 12:42 PM
This photo from yesterday is rightly getting a lot of plaudits.

Note the claret and blue flag.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Brz-bITCIAAr76W.png#twimg

todclaret
06-07-2014, 12:45 PM
picked up on twitter

Transdev Harrogate [!]8207;@harrogatebus 9m

Police confirm that about 50-60,000 people are expected at Holme Moss, the race's highest point today. #tdftravel

astonishing!

yesTHATironingboard
06-07-2014, 12:51 PM
i popped out earlier and there were cyclists everywhere.

stevie_thunder
06-07-2014, 01:19 PM
Good to see the feed station was in Hebden Bridge. I'm sure they were provided with a range of organic, vegetarian treats!

I hope they don't come across any irresponsible old men rolling down the roads in bathtubs when they get near Holmfirth.

Notrigsbyscat
06-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Any images from Blackstone edge?

LancasterClaret
06-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Its been brilliant again today.

The money paid to get it here has seriously been well spent.

stevie_thunder
06-07-2014, 06:09 PM
Great finish to today's stage; a real every-man-for-himself sprint as the team organisation disintegrated on the last climb.

Huge crowds again today; the Yorkshire stages have been a great success and the routes picked have made for great racing and spectating.

I just feel a little sad that this didn't happen a few years ago when my grandad was more mobile. He was an avid cyclist, riding well into his 80's, a proud Yorkshireman (is there any other kind?) and loved The Dales. I'm sure he'd have loved to have been out there on the road watching. And probably giving a few tips, knowing him.

yesTHATironingboard
06-07-2014, 06:24 PM
it is a beautiful county. i live near the confluence of bradford beck and the aire and the view from the top of wrose hill where bradfordale meets the aire valley must be one of the best views in england.

ClaretTony2014
06-07-2014, 06:26 PM
"a proud Yorkshireman (is there any other kind?)"

As a Lancastrian I could think of a few options :D

BobS_2014
07-07-2014, 10:11 AM
It's been truly fantastic. Skipton was amazing on Saturday, despite only getting there about 9.30am when folk had lined the High St hours earlier, we got a plum spot at the top end and it was far better than I expected being feet away from the peloton and the caravane, soaking up the atmosphere and the glorious sunshine, then sitting in the car park all afternoon watching the rest of the stage. Even the anti-climactic feel and sense of disappointment amongst the huddled masses at Cav's crash didn't spoil the day. The scenes at Buttertubs and elsewhere were truly spectacular, and you could hear the awe and wonderment amongst the crowd when we viewed the magnificent scenes.

Clarets galore too in Skipton, and good to see them everywhere elsewhere on the stage and yesterday on the TV coverage. There was a glorious photo in the Sunday Times yesterday at the top of Buttertubs with a family of Clarets at the roadside with their flag and the great big Claret flag at the top of the peak, as if

claretchrish
07-07-2014, 11:00 AM
http://i61.tinypic.com/4h9h8k.jpg

jollyjackclaret
07-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Just had a FANTASTIC weekend up in Hawes watching the climb over Buttertubs. Real stream of humanity going up there just to stand and be part of it. Something to look back on in years to come like Wembley '94 and '09 and the Olympics. Thought Yorkshire did OK...;D

evensteadiereddie
07-07-2014, 12:23 PM
I spent yesterday just above the res on the top road out of Haworth.
Set off from Staffordshire at half two in the morning, parked up exactly where I needed to by five.
Walking around Haworth in the early morning was superb.#
An amazing experience - see the other comments re Buttertubs - and I am so glad I stuck to my decision to go.
A couple of pints of Tim Taylors on Haworth main street and the job really was a good 'un.
I think apart from the alarming lack of crowd control on the climbs, Yorkshire (through gritted teeth) did an excellent job.
I pity any area that fancies following that performance in a year or two's time.

barry_chuckle
07-07-2014, 01:10 PM
evensteadiereddie, I was in the same location yesterday, Unbelievable scenes and atmosphere!

Were you the Claret wearing a toffs shirt with number 4 on the back?

NeilThompson
07-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Agree with much of what has been said above...Yorkshire looked fantastic...but why oh why did they spoil it by endidng it in Sheffield?
After the beauty of the Dales the industrial wasteland and council estates of Sheffield looked terrible

stevie_thunder
07-07-2014, 04:41 PM
Agree to some extent with the last post; however, the route chosen (Holme Moss and then the three shorter climbs) made for great racing and I guess the organisers knew it would. Unfortunately, once they were down there they had no other option to end in Sheffield.

Could have been worse though, it could have been Rotherham.

barracuda
07-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Mark Cavendish must be gutted he is going to miss the Commonwealth Games because of the injury he has picked up in this event

aggi
08-07-2014, 12:42 PM
A couple of pics I got yesterday

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2918/14411918688_8a7f7999c4_z_d.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5480/14597905352_cd5923ba7e_z_d.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5544/14596615214_9daf9864ec_z_d.jpg

spijed
08-07-2014, 01:06 PM
Here are a couple of my pics from yesterday:

http://i58.tinypic.com/qnvhbs.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/2e0sj86.jpg

spijed
08-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Another couple:

http://i60.tinypic.com/1zeyvy1.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/111pd9d.jpg

evensteadiereddie
08-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Sorry for the late reply, barrychuckle.
No, I was the loon in the dark blue "My town, My Turf" tee shirt about a third of the way up the hill.
It was an amazing experience. Absolutely packed but loved every minute of it.